Thread: Temple in Korea

Default Temple in Korea

I took this back last year in korea. I can't remember the conditions. But I want to know what can be done to improve this picture? Probably the composition of it. Cos I really suck at that. Haha.

Default Re: Temple in Korea

i hv the same prob when taking large buddha and blue sky without much clouds... it somehow makes thing a bit flat.... difficult to get the right perspective also because of the limitation of where u can take the shots...

maybe i would suggest u can focus on certain features on the buddha face to fill up the composition a bit more probably less of the sky...

juz a small suggestion...

TS if you wanted to created a slanted shot of the Buddha statue, i would say put it on the right side of the frame, allowing more room to breath on the left, another point would be not zooming in so near, get a wide shot of the Buddha and place it on a third of the frame. That will nv fail.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

yah.. quite true... can create that active space effect...

You probably composed it this way because you wanted all the spikes to show completely in your image. I think it's good though my preference here is that you give more space to the left like what nigel84 suggested. It would also mean cropping some of those spikes, which IMO, shouldn't be much of a problem since your focal point is the statue's face anyway. If you want those spikes then you will have to show more of the statue's face and body. I would also experiment with a portrait orientation.

One thing that might have escaped your notice is the vignette. This must be due to the lens and this can be easily fixed in PS.

What's vignette? Explain please. And yea. I wanted those spikes. Cos it makes me thinks of the glyphs that usually accompanies heavenly bodies. LOL

a head on shot here will be better.

one of the few occasions where a smack centre composition will work better than side, if you must have this perspective

Quote Originally Posted by ahwei View Post
    What's vignette? Explain please. And yea. I wanted those spikes. Cos it makes me thinks of the glyphs that usually accompanies heavenly bodies. LOL
    Vignette is the darkening or fading of the corners. It is often used for aesthetic effects to frame the subject in the center of the image. It may also indicate a defect in the lens or the effect of putting too many filters in front. Here's a very informative article about it -- http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/vignetting.html

HTH