Thread: expensive polariser good?

Default expensive polariser good?

I used a shop rebadged polariser costing around $40. It has approx 1.5 stop drop when I attach it to my lens. Just wondering if any of you have the more expensive brand filter, Nikon, BW etc? Is it still 1.5 stop or less? How much less? I was wondering if I should upgrade mine. Thanks in advance

Default Re: expensive polariser good?

I have a funny philosophy when it comes to add-on filters -

"After spending so much money for a few pieces of low dispersion glass and elements, only to use a $20 glass at the end of it."

Just my funny way of putting things.

Anyway, I think Nikon's polariser is 1 way. Try to see it the other way it doesn't work And the ring is really thin!

Quote Originally Posted by groupwest View Post
    I used a shop rebadged polariser costing around $40. It has approx 1.5 stop drop when I attach it to my lens. Just wondering if any of you have the more expensive brand filter, Nikon, BW etc? Is it still 1.5 stop or less? How much less? I was wondering if I should upgrade mine. Thanks in advance
    that's what PL filter do, you will lost 2 to 2.5 stop of light.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Dun think you can judge a good polariser by the number of stops.

But here is something that you might be interested in : LB polarizer

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by chisiang View Post
    I have a funny philosophy when it comes to add-on filters -

"After spending so much money for a few pieces of low dispersion glass and elements, only to use a $20 glass at the end of it."
    On the other hand, that fancy zoom lens may have about 15 elements, some from specialty glass, some even aspheric, motors, electronics, and precision mechanics. A single element in such a lens is not that much more expensive than the $20 filter. And the filter is a generic, mass-produced commodity item that is much easier and cheaper to manufacture than a curved lens.

i always feel that filters are way overpriced.

a single piece of glass mounted on a ring can cost as much as a precision made lens, w all the elements, barrels, mount etc.