Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: How to take fireworks shot?

  1. #1

    Default How to take fireworks shot?

    As I'm going for NDP preview this coming weekend, and am first time using a DSLR cam to take such shots (Olympus E510). Need some tips on how to take good ones.

    Should I take multiple shots at one go or one shot at a time?

    Also, what kind of mode (auto, manual, macro, landscape etc..) should I take? There's a fireworks mode in my E510, should I use it instead?

    Need advise. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member egnaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay, Singapore
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by animeonegai View Post
    As I'm going for NDP preview this coming weekend, and am first time using a DSLR cam to take such shots (Olympus E510). Need some tips on how to take good ones.

    Should I take multiple shots at one go or one shot at a time?

    Also, what kind of mode (auto, manual, macro, landscape etc..) should I take? There's a fireworks mode in my E510, should I use it instead?

    Need advise. Thanks!
    Do a search on my post on fireworks... if u like it, use fireworks mode on E510
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    f8 or f11 exposure around 1-4 secs in bulb mode.

    shoot in raw mode and leave the wb to auto.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    usually fireworks are taken one at a time as the exposure time is generally longer (1-3 or 1-4) seconds, so you can't really go machine gun on fireworks.

    but on the occasion that the fireworks come out all together (grand finale or something), a long exposure might result in a overexposed photo, trial and error a bit, but like mentioned above, a bigger F number and slightly longer exposure will work fine.

  5. #5
    Member NeTHaCk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Arcanic~ View Post
    usually fireworks are taken one at a time as the exposure time is generally longer (1-3 or 1-4) seconds, so you can't really go machine gun on fireworks.

    but on the occasion that the fireworks come out all together (grand finale or something), a long exposure might result in a overexposed photo, trial and error a bit, but like mentioned above, a bigger F number and slightly longer exposure will work fine.

    can i ask, how come the fireworks do look smoky ? shot at f10, 2.5s

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    can i ask, how come the fireworks do look smoky ? shot at f10, 2.5s
    Because there was little or no wind to blow the smoke away, that could be one of the reasons.

  7. #7
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    No wind or the wind blowing towards you can make the picture smokey as well.

    I find that you will need to take a few before getting a hang of taking them. Picking the vantage point before the event and knowing the area well helps.

    You can try experiment with a black card to get a combination of various fireworks in one frame. But care not to flood them until it looks too cluttered.

    Having a cable release helps ( other than having a stable tripod ) . Shoot in bulb mode as others have mentioned. I like to expose them when the burst occurs, and use the black card before it starts to trail off ( but i have seen some nice takes of firework trails ). Really depends on what you want to bring out. As for composition you have to decide whether you need to include other elements such as the reflections / boats / buildings / people.

    Ryan

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    can i ask, how come the fireworks do look smoky ? shot at f10, 2.5s
    fireworks are smoky by default.. a lot depends on the actual day situation if the wind is on your side...

    if there's a strong wind blowing away from you, that would be the best case.. i once took fireworks with friends before and had the smoke blowing towards us... lol

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    Just a word of caution when taking fireworks: Make sure you have your UV filter on your lens. When the smoke comes your way and the dusk lands on your lens, it can be quite nasty. The dusk may damage the coating of lens.
    Come visit my blog

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Just a word of caution when taking fireworks: Make sure you have your UV filter on your lens. When the smoke comes your way and the dusk lands on your lens, it can be quite nasty. The dusk may damage the coating of lens.
    Before it can damage the lens coating, it will damage ur skin first

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Just a word of caution when taking fireworks: Make sure you have your UV filter on your lens. When the smoke comes your way and the dusk lands on your lens, it can be quite nasty. The dusk may damage the coating of lens.
    It would have been dusk by the time they fire the fireworks; hardly anyone fires them in the day...I do believe it is dust you are referring to?

  12. #12

    Default Re: How to take fireworks shot?

    check out this link, click on the big photo for more info (:

    http://www.popphoto.com/popularphoto...fireworks.html

    what you need is to shoot on manual (bulb mode), and bring a tripod and cable release.

    shoot with the lens set to infinity, aperture of around f11.

    remember to get a black card (or if you forgot to just use your black lens cap).

    the black card helps you get rid of the smoke trails, and helps you get more fireworks into the photo if you shoot with exposure of about 15 seconds for example.

    what to do is that when your camera is shooting on long exposure, when a firework is coming up, you start the exposure, but with the black card in front of the lens. when the firework is at its peak (ie opened fully) then you remove the black card for about one second then cover it again, until the next firework opens fully then uncover and cover it again. so on and so forth.

    take note not to get too many fireworks into one shot, can appear too cluttered (:

    have fun, there'll be lots of fireworks so you can have lots of practice on the day itself!

    (sorry for the extra long post :P)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •