Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera ganna seawater what to do???

Default Re: Camera ganna seawater what to do???

Quote Originally Posted by windforce View Post
    u can't be more right... seawater is DSLR ultimate nightmare. dont go anywhere near it unless u realli need to. preserve ur DSLRs. Its a lot more destructive than it seems.
    Well, that is in a sense true, but if you are overcautious than life becomes very boring. I have used SLRs near seawater for over thirty years and had no problem with any of them. Used dSLR since about three also without problem.

There are also weather sealed cameras and lenses available if one often needs to use a camera near water or in any weather. Seawater is not very friendly since it contains salt, but if you have one of the weather sealed cameras you can just use the shower at home at the end of the day then wipe it dry.

It is very important that the camera is well maintained and properly cleaned when necessary, but using a camera near seawater is not that dangerous.

Maswu, if you've been around professionals a bit more, you might notice that quite a few might use hairdryers to blow-dry their lenses after a wet wipe down.

Using moderate heat, and then alternating with cool air, and then mod heat again helps evaporate the fine residual moisture, as well as warm up the lens a bit, promoting evaporation of fine droplets or water particles that have (definitely) seeped under stuff like the rubber rings etc. Of course, don't blast the lens with hot air till the lens actually gets HOT, unless you're conducting emergency damage control on location (only applicable to fresh aka non-salt water).

You'll be very, very surprised what professionals actually do to keep their gear in top operating condition. Some of it would absolutely shock a hobbyist or enthusiast! LOLZ!

After all, these are the guys that cannot afford to take any risks because assignments/their reputations and their rice-bowls are at stake.

Go figure ...
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 3rd August 2008 at 01:07 AM.

I think its gone...I can help you dispose it away for $5.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
    I would not use any alcohol on my lenses. Alcohol may damage the lens coating.
    Then why is it included in the cleaning kit?

Is it a plot to make people buy new lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    [I]You'll be very, very surprised what professionals actually do to keep their gear in top operating condition. Some of it would absolutely shock a hobbyist or enthusiast! LOLZ!
    The same professionals must buy new cameras and lenses more often than the rest of us. Partially due to the harsh handling of the gear. Remember, they get paid for the images and while they can no afford to miss an image they also take bigger risks with their gear. Generally, I would not take their way of handling camera gear as something optimal and good. I haven't seen a professionally used camera or lens in top condition yet. Yes, they are mostly careful with their expensive gear but it is always about taking images and selling them what it is about. Hair dryer is an emergency solution, and not a very good one. Especially if heat is used. If a pro uses it, that it is his business. I would never use that on my camera. I am not in that hurry to dry my stuff, so I might as well do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Then why is it included in the cleaning kit?

Is it a plot to make people buy new lens?
    It must be used with care. If someting sticks to the lens you can use it, but if you are careful than that will not be needed, at least not very often. During the last three years I have used solvents only on very few occasions and in all the cases on "newly" bought second hand legacy film lenses. My digital lenses are just blown clean when necessary. OK, I am not a pro, but I take a few thousand images per month and change lenses often. Just that I also use lens caps and a bag. Never keep my lenses in my pockets.

See = salt water = (?) you may need to use it if the water is dry and the salt is stuck. Just be careful, no drops on the lens, use a tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
    The same professionals must buy new cameras and lenses more often than the rest of us. Partially due to the harsh handling of the gear. Remember, they get paid for the images and while they can no afford to miss an image they also take bigger risks with their gear. Generally, I would not take their way of handling camera gear as something optimal and good. I haven't seen a professionally used camera or lens in top condition yet. Yes, they are mostly careful with their expensive gear but it is always about taking images and selling them what it is about. Hair dryer is an emergency solution, and not a very good one. Especially if heat is used. If a pro uses it, that it is his business. I would never use that on my camera. I am not in that hurry to dry my stuff, so I might as well do it properly.
    True. True.

But if done carefully and properly, it doesn't pose any more damage than wiping with a cloth, and helps get rid of residual moisture that no cloth can get to.

At any rate, there's an old saying: There are a hundred ways to skin a cat.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 3rd August 2008 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant
    At any rate, there's an old saying: There are a hundred ways to skin a cat.
    thats kind of sick...oh wells but thats quite true
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by maswu View Post
    thats kind of sick...oh wells but thats quite true
    Oh yah! Sorriee!

It should have been: There are 100 ways to skin a dead cat.

let say u hv the uv filter on the lens.. u go to the beach... come back u clean the filter.. but do u all also clean the lens even all the while with the filter on...

i heard some alcohol will damage the lens coating. any good recommendation of cleaning solution for lens?
    Last edited by maximize; 4th August 2008 at 02:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12