Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: Worst habits of Singaporeans

  1. #1

    Default Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Saw this in the yahoo website....

    SINGAPORE: The verdict is out on the best and worst habits in Singapore — at least according to MediaCorp’s Class 95 presenters who had challenged listeners to post videos of Singaporeans’ good and bad habits on podcast.sg.
    ADVERTISEMENT

    The entries were judged based on these criteria — Are the habits growing? Are they unique to Singaporeans? Are they compelling enough to effect change?

    A Class 95 listener, Ariel Fernandez, won the Bad Habit prize for posting a clip showing masses of people jaywalking.

    Presenter Mark Van Cuylenberg, who is widely known as The Flying Dutchman, said: "We really need to get a campaign out that teaches pedestrians how to use the roads. We’ve done it with drivers, now let’s do it with pedestrians. We need it desperately."

    Other pet peeves that were featured in short clips include people reserving tables with umbrellas and indiscriminate littering.

    On the other hand, in the Good Habit category, a clip showing courteous people on escalators was awarded the top prize.

    "Everybody follows and stands on one side of the escalator, so that people who are rushing to work can just run up," said Chee Ling Fei, who posted the winning clip.

    The two winners walked away with cash prizes of S$950 each.....

    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/2008072...w-231650b.html

    SO WHAT WE HAVE TO SAID SINGAPOREAN..!!!?!?!?!?!?
    or

  2. #2

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Jaywalking is the worst bad habit? Man, this island needs to wake up.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  3. #3
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    A Class 95 listener, Ariel Fernandez, won the Bad Habit prize for posting a clip showing masses of people jaywalking.
    I guess I need to see the clip before deciding, but jaywalking is the worst bad habit??

    I'd go for littering. Hardly unique to Singapore, but a shame considering that we have a reputation as a very clean city. Every time I hear that, I explain that this is due to the hardworking cleaners and partly the punishment, not the people.

    SO WHAT WE HAVE TO SAID SINGAPOREAN..!!!?!?!?!?!?
    or
    How about : bad grammar? No offense meant, said in fun, my apologies if any taken.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    if jaywalking is the worst, then what is peeing in hdb lift, puking in the hdb staircase, throwing used condoms out of the window (and they stuck at the roof of the lowest floor unit), letting the dog pet poop all over the corridor, and so on and so on. If i have to continue the list, I don't need to work already.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Jaywalking is the worst bad habit? Man, this island needs to wake up.
    The root bad habit is the widespread attitude that it's ok to ignore the law as long as you're not getting caught. From ignoring red traffic lights to cheating to software piracy to tax evasion (note the recurrent postings here on "how do I bring my overseas purchase to SG without paying taxes?) The population at large seems to have a serious problem with basic ethics and the concepts of "right" and "wrong".

  6. #6

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    I can think of a billion bad habits of Singaporeans but the top of the list is still none other than................the statement below.

    "They just love to complain about anything under the big blue sky"

  7. #7

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    I was hoping that this "award" would bring to attention real social problems surfacing recently and see how we can work to get everyone to be more socially responsible.

    Example things such as waiting in line for the train, allowing passengers to alight first. Not putting your bloody leg on bus seats opposite of you. Controlling your kids in public...

    but instead we have jay walking as the "worst habit...." what a lame one.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Someone should video those folks who smoke or urinate inside the lift.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Someone should video those folks who smoke or urinate inside the lift.....
    Those fools can't even wait like 2 mins til they reach home meh?
    And what about those who smoke in the lift? Think they own the whole lift meh

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Too many to list LOL, but my three biggest.

    - Not carrying used trays and utensils back in foodcourts
    - Turning without signalling
    - Talking in cinemas

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    turning without signalling, switch lanes without signalling, sudden braking are the worst thing that can happen to any driver on the road...

  12. #12
    Member sunboi80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West of SG
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    IMO The worst habit is thinking that we have no bad habits...
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

  13. #13

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Someone should video those folks who smoke or urinate inside the lift.....
    if i saw them when they doing it, i would have whacked their head first instead of taking video.
    I can only show the photos of the evidence.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    IMO The worst habit is thinking that we have no bad habits...
    That is hard to put into a conceptual idea and win some awards. LOL!

  15. #15
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    turning without signalling, switch lanes without signalling, sudden braking are the worst thing that can happen to any driver on the road...
    Actually if you sit down at a busy street corner and watch people walking about...walkers do exactly the same thing. That "switch-off" your brain and "switch on selfish"mode comes into play. Getting behind a wheel of a car just makes it that much more dangerous.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    pole huggers on trains...

  17. #17
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    pole huggers on trains...
    I have remarked this to a few "polers" on the train in the past. "No spine har" Especially on a crowded train, not enough seats, train is jerky, and some folks need to hold the bar to steady themselves and you have one slacker always who feel their MRT ticket of admission gives them the use the pole exclusively.

    Here's a good tip that I use. Pretend to loose your balance and grab the pole, shove a few fingers at their back to get them jerk as you grab the pole to steady yourself. There is no way he/she can say you are in the wrong. You are just preventing yourself from falling. That is the exact rason for the pole being there. I know it is bad but with people like that...I have not one bit of sympathy as they have none for anyone just by their very act of selfish inconsideration.

    I dare say it...most of the time they know it but they just do it...push their luck. Just feel the need to dominate others. A bully in other words. Not on my watch.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I have remarked this to a few "polers" on the train in the past. "No spine har" Especially on a crowded train, not enough seats, train is jerky, and some folks need to hold the bar to steady themselves and you have one slacker always who feel their MRT ticket of admission gives them the use the pole exclusively.

    Here's a good tip that I use. Pretend to loose your balance and grab the pole, shove a few fingers at their back to get them jerk as you grab the pole to steady yourself. There is no way he/she can say you are in the wrong. You are just preventing yourself from falling. That is the exact rason for the pole being there. I know it is bad but with people like that...I have not one bit of sympathy as they have none for anyone just by their very act of selfish inconsideration.

    I dare say it...most of the time they know it but they just do it...push their luck. Just feel the need to dominate others. A bully in other words. Not on my watch.
    i wont say it if its a lady lor, wait bystanders ...

  19. #19
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    The root bad habit is the widespread attitude that it's ok to ignore the law as long as you're not getting caught. From ignoring red traffic lights to cheating to software piracy to tax evasion (note the recurrent postings here on "how do I bring my overseas purchase to SG without paying taxes?) The population at large seems to have a serious problem with basic ethics and the concepts of "right" and "wrong".
    If you hadn't noticed ethics is a very alien concept to Singaporeans in general. Just look at the supposed plagiarist blogger that Stomp employs and you'll see a fine example of singaporean bad habits are work.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  20. #20
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Worst habits of Singaporeans

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    pole huggers on trains...
    at least they're not using it as a stripper pole
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •