Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is better?

Default Re: Which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i will pick #3, #8 and #9. consideration is mainly from composition, subject matter and colors. i fancy less of unnatural colors and texture but since that is your general style, i have leave that out of consideration. #1 has good breaks of light but the composition isn't appealing. i think #5 and #10 may be weak for competitions as they are frequently taken as such.

what company is that? landscape photography as a competition seems very specific.
    I rather not reveal the company but you are absolutely right, the nature of the theme is Natural Wonders but it is rather vague and the organizer did mention that human elements are acceptable. Good observation and I like your frankness in selecting the pictures. Appreciated Zoosh. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho32 View Post
    #9 is a keeper.
    thast the photo that draws my attention immediately.

in my opinion the others are equal in std... but if i must choose i'll got for 1, 7, 9.
    if you have #1 in landscape orientation and showing more sky, less water it'll be perfect.

my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks for sharing your 2 cents worth observations and kind words. As far as I am concern, your inputs is all that matters. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZ_BUZ View Post
    My pick is 1, 7 and 8.

7 and 8 has the surreal and dreamy effect.
    1 has great ray, but as zoossh mentioned composition a bit weak.
    Overall I like 7 most as it is surreal and the composition is nice and balance.

The rest is very nice, but I feel they lack something ( can't put it in words ) to impress.
    Ha ha. I understand what you mean...Thanks for letting me know that you like picture 7 and really appreciate your comments and views.

Quote Originally Posted by msvanjara View Post
    1, 6, 8. Good work.
    Wah what a nice number 168. LOL. Thanks again mate.

Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    Sorry to ask, so your decision will be based on the votes you get for the pictures?
    That is an excellent question and nothing to sorry about. Most likely so because that is how the competition will be picked by votes (something like American Idol). Well the judges will choose 35 best pictures from the submission and then, it is up to the audience to vote for those 35 pictures. Those with the most votes wins. I am thinking since most of the people or even judges will be "Ang Mos" because this will be happening in America, submitting something from Singapore would be rather unique. I have other pictures too like Grand Canyon etc.. but the odds of winning will not be high because they would rather see something different. That's my strategy. Thanks for asking.
    Last edited by Jet Lim; 30th July 2008 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Jet - what is your pick?

it is important to note what sort of judging is being done. for example, if the judges are nonphotographers, infrared photographs might be a whole load more subjective since they will either love it or hate it. i personally think #7 is a must-have, then #5 and maybe #2. but then again maybe the judges want variety, so you might go better with one b&w, one color, one infrared.

as you can see, you are already getting all sorts of mixed responses.
    Ha ha That is what I think as well. So I am thinking one IR and 2 others that is colored. My colleagues did like the BW though so then again I am not sure...so it goes round and I thought perhaps I should ask Clubsnap and let you guys help me...Well the theme Natural Wonders will does not limit to just landscapes right, it could be wildlife, birds, macros or flowers etc but I think most people will widely accept landscape the most so therefore my pick on landscapes to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i teach you how to choose

print them out, put all on the table
    put a dustbin next to the table

choose all that you know are nice
    those that you are not sure, just bin it

then do it all again until you only have 3

btw some of your shots are more outstanding than the others
    so it should be easy to select.

best of luck

also this does not belong here in the gallery
    Thanks. You are the master, I will take your advice and give it a try to pick my choice. Good tip. I am only skeptical about my choice at the end of the day if you know what I mean because this contest is run based on the audience choice not entirely my own choice alone. What I choose may not be what the judges would like to begin with, I suppose this applies to any photo contest. But I am sure I will not missed all 3 and like what nightmare said, the judges whether they are photographers themselves is a question mark and even though they are photographers like us, we choose differently even amongst ourselves, so that's why I would like to first tried out the "audience choice" first and see how close it fits to my choice. I am thinking it should not be too far apart.
    Last edited by Jet Lim; 30th July 2008 at 08:33 PM.

If there is anyone that would like to contribute your thoughts and views, please continue. I would appreciate your help and continue to monitor if not daily on the views that you had passed on. Many many thanks to those again that have contributed your thoughts. Appreciated.

So just to share with all the results so far...

I have highest votes for picture 10, 9, 6 & 1 all 4 votes, followed by picture 8, 7, 4, 3, 2 all 3 votes and picture 5 only 2 votes...

Conclusion they are all very closed.....hmmmm..

So here is my thread. I thought what have I done, the moderator must have move me from Landscapes to Kopitiam. Not sure why, is it because it is more appropriate for polling even though the topic is landscapes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Lim View Post
    So here is my thread. I thought what have I done, the moderator must have move me from Landscapes to Kopitiam. Not sure why, is it because it is more appropriate for polling even though the topic is landscapes?
    as far as to my knowledge, the forum's general policy is to keep gallery as much as a gallery... although i'm afraid my thoughts is otherwise. i like integrations to common subjects.

Just a comment: you'll select the best 3 pictures based on popular polling.... but what makes you think the contest's judges think like the masses? Trust your inner artist...
    But it's a good thing to see what other people think too. Appealing to the masses have a high commercial value later.

or some reason, i really love The Jetty. That's the one that evoked more feelings

Quote Originally Posted by cjtune View Post
    Just a comment: you'll select the best 3 pictures based on popular polling.... but what makes you think the contest's judges think like the masses? Trust your inner artist...
    But it's a good thing to see what other people think too. Appealing to the masses have a high commercial value later.
    Thanks for your comment. I fully agree with you. There are 2 sides of the coin in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    as far as to my knowledge, the forum's general policy is to keep gallery as much as a gallery... although i'm afraid my thoughts is otherwise. i like integrations to common subjects.
    Me too.

I wanted to thanks those who commented/feedback. I have won the contest and came in top 5 out of the few thousand entries. The top prize is a Canon G10!

This is the final picture that passed the judge's eyes and thousands of voters... http://www.photosmoment.com/p3696717...573a#h36db573a

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12