Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better?

Default Which is better?

Dear Friends,

My company is organizing a photography contest mainly on Landscapes. This contest will only allow me to submit 3 pictures maximum and does not limit to Color, BW or IR. I am struggling on which one to pick for submission. Hence, I would like your help to choose which you think are the best 3 pictures in the link below by giving me the picture number. Only 10 pictures in this link to choose from. Please give your best 3 opinions .
    http://www.photosmoment.com/p1035276077/

I would appreciate if you could help me make a decision. Thank you so much...

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Jet Lim; 29th July 2008 at 08:28 PM.

Default Re: Which is better?

Hi there, once again any response on this would be greatly appreciated. Please spend some time viewing through and provide your feedback. Many Thanks again.

Photo editing and selecting is an important skills to pick up. This is an opportunity for you to exercise your judgement and be critical about your work. I suggest you do your own selection.

Thanks for your comment. It is more important to get other views as well. Otherwise we wouldn't be setting up this forum isn't it? I mean many people including yourself started off by asking opinions and views. Have I done anything wrong?

For those who like to share your selection, I would be appreciated it. That includes you Kit. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jet Lim; 29th July 2008 at 11:06 PM.

You haven't done anything wrong (and I don't remember saying that you were wrong to begin with).

What I'm pointing out is you ought to take this as an opportunity to look at your work again in a more critical manner. You are free to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    You haven't done anything wrong (and I don't remember saying that you were wrong to begin with).

What I'm pointing out is you ought to take this as an opportunity to look at your work again in a more critical manner. You are free to ignore.
    I am not saying that you said "wrong" but merely asking a question. But the fact that you suggest asking me to "select on my own" sounds like I can forget about asking people for opinion, which is not my intention to start with. Brushing up my photography skills (exercising opportunity etc) and getting inputs from others are 2 different things here to begin with. This has nothing to do with my earlier requests. Thanks for commenting.
    Last edited by Jet Lim; 29th July 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Please understand my initial intention to begin with. I will need folks out there to help me indicate what's good to begin with, there is an opportunity for learning and building knowledge through sharing views. This I believe is what the forum is all about. I do apologies if I misunderstood your good intentions Kit.

Just my 2 cents worth....
    i tink the jetty is a nice shot... but a bit cliche though... but its great none the less...
    And pic 10 and 6 are nice too...
    D80,18-135mm kit, 85 mm f1.8, sb900.
    My Flicker : http://www.flickr.com/photos/27466187@N06/sets/

I like pics 1,2 and 4

Thumbs up Re: Which is better?

Hi, personally I think that all of the landscapes are taken really well! It's hard to choose from actually... Well, if I have to choose it will be 3, 4 and 10. No.2 is a pity as the bridge is slightly tilted. The subject in no.5 seems too large to call it a landscape photo. And I like natural colours for landcapes personally but no.6 is still stunning! Great job and GOOD LUCK!

i will pick #3, #8 and #9. consideration is mainly from composition, subject matter and colors. i fancy less of unnatural colors and texture but since that is your general style, i have leave that out of consideration. #1 has good breaks of light but the composition isn't appealing. i think #5 and #10 may be weak for competitions as they are frequently taken as such.

what company is that? landscape photography as a competition seems very specific.
    Last edited by zoossh; 30th July 2008 at 01:26 AM.

#9 is a keeper.
    thast the photo that draws my attention immediately.

in my opinion the others are equal in std... but if i must choose i'll got for 1, 7, 9.
    if you have #1 in landscape orientation and showing more sky, less water it'll be perfect.

my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by jkuean View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth....
    i tink the jetty is a nice shot... but a bit cliche though... but its great none the less...
    And pic 10 and 6 are nice too...
    Thank you so much for your inputs. Really appreciated.

My pick is 1, 7 and 8.

7 and 8 has the surreal and dreamy effect.
    1 has great ray, but as zoossh mentioned composition a bit weak.
    Overall I like 7 most as it is surreal and the composition is nice and balance.

The rest is very nice, but I feel they lack something ( can't put it in words ) to impress.

1, 6, 8. Good work.

Sorry to ask, so your decision will be based on the votes you get for the pictures?
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Jet - what is your pick?

it is important to note what sort of judging is being done. for example, if the judges are nonphotographers, infrared photographs might be a whole load more subjective since they will either love it or hate it. i personally think #7 is a must-have, then #5 and maybe #2. but then again maybe the judges want variety, so you might go better with one b&w, one color, one infrared.

as you can see, you are already getting all sorts of mixed responses.

Blog Entries

i teach you how to choose

print them out, put all on the table
    put a dustbin next to the table

choose all that you know are nice
    those that you are not sure, just bin it

then do it all again until you only have 3

btw some of your shots are more outstanding than the others
    so it should be easy to select.

best of luck

also this does not belong here in the gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ssc742 View Post
    I like pics 1,2 and 4
    Thanks for your comments and inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by perfekt-horizon View Post
    Hi, personally I think that all of the landscapes are taken really well! It's hard to choose from actually... Well, if I have to choose it will be 3, 4 and 10. No.2 is a pity as the bridge is slightly tilted. The subject in no.5 seems too large to call it a landscape photo. And I like natural colours for landcapes personally but no.6 is still stunning! Great job and GOOD LUCK!
    Hey what a wonderful views you have shared. I am glad that you like it. Thank you so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast