Thread: Need some tips on Japan shopping/shooting

Default Need some tips on Japan shopping/shooting

Going for for a few days next week. Got a few Qn.

1) Planning to get a Zaurus C750/760 and cam stuff there. I've checked some shops in kakaku.com. There all seem to offer much lower prices than yodobashi/bic which i assume to be equivalent to Harvey or Best here. Any caveats such as tax issues / service / reliability? Most of these seem to be in Akihabara although most comments seem to indicate that Shinjuku generally sells cheaper.

2) Whats good for shooting at night? My tentative plan is to visit Ginza / Shibuya (shoot people) and go Tokyo tower and Shinjuku City hall (landscape) every night? Whats a good location for a good view of city /night life? Preferably cheap.

3) Is it better to take a guided day tour to Mt Fuji / Kamakura or DIY? If DIY, how would u go about it?

4) Any good used camera shops to recommend? :P

5) Anything to look out for?

for Mt Fuji, try here. I think the climbing season will be starting soon or has already started.

there are a few routes you can take, to get to these trekking routes you would need to get to differnt "ken". reaching the submit takes bout 6 hours, depending on the route you take.
    for the easiest route, I think you would have to take a train to shizuoka. the site provides adequate information.. check it out.

cheerz

Hi,

I was at Japan last Nov on a DIY tour. Visiting Kamakura from Tokyo is quite easy. Just take a direct train from Tokyo Station. The journery will take about 1 hour. Once you reach Kamakura, you can transfer to the local light rail to get around (eg. visiting the Great Buddha).

If you travel a lot by rail (from city to city), it is advisable to purchase a rail pass at about S$400+ for a 7 day pass. This gives you unlimited ride on almost all Japan Rail trains (including bullet trains) throughout Japan. You can buy it at JTB, situated at level 4 Nee Ann City (just next to the POSB). PS: You can only buy the rail pass outside of Japan.

Pls feel free to browse thru my photos taken during my trip to Japan. Enjoy your trip to Japan.
    Last edited by cwaikong; 16th July 2003 at 10:24 PM.

Thanx for the replies.

Got some more qns.

1) I should be taking the train to ueno to change to the subway. Is the 1-day pass available there?

2) Where's a good place and time to take sun rise? I probably will try some b4 i go down to the fish market for makan.

Originally posted by xdivider
    Thanx for the replies.

Got some more qns.

1) I should be taking the train to ueno to change to the subway. Is the 1-day pass available there?
    Most major railway station (e.g. Ueno, Tokyo, Shinjiku, etc) is link to the subway. You need not have to change only at Ueno. You can search the web to find out more details about the subway network. The 1-day subway pass can be purchased at the subway station. If I don't recall wrongly, it is about 1000yen.

2) Where's a good place and time to take sun rise? I probably will try some b4 i go down to the fish market for makan.
    Dunno man, I normally wake up at about 7am. To late for the sun rise.

Hi, I will be going to Japan next week for 2 weeks. First time to Japan. Any tips on where is good for photography (within and outside Tokyo) at this time of the year? What to look out for?

One thing I have read from a guidebook:
    "Japan is a nation in the grip of photography fever. Buying film and camera gear is no problem, and there are no restrictions on what you photograph. It's polite to ask before taking somebody's picture, but nobody is likely to object. At festivals, feel free to snap away to your heart's content - everybody else will."

I have bought a JR rail pass so most parts of Japan is accessible. Currently possible destinations are: Kamakura, Kyoto, Osaka, Hokkaido. Anywhere I should not miss? Thanks!
    Last edited by berryhappy; 30th March 2004 at 01:34 PM.

Japan is a nation in the grip of photography fever. Buying film and camera gear is no problem, and there are no restrictions on what you photograph.
    are u sure ? how about those upskirt and down brouse shoot ??

just kidding, anyway.....are u doing DIY to japan ???

i will be going only Tokyo during June for a business trip. Will definately stay there for few more days. Pls share your experience swhen u come back.

Quote Originally Posted by berryhappy
    Hi, I will be going to Japan next week for 2 weeks. First time to Japan. Any tips on where is good for photography (within and outside Tokyo) at this time of the year? What to look out for?

One thing I have read from a guidebook:
    "Japan is a nation in the grip of photography fever. Buying film and camera gear is no problem, and there are no restrictions on what you photograph. It's polite to ask before taking somebody's picture, but nobody is likely to object. At festivals, feel free to snap away to your heart's content - everybody else will."

I have bought a JR rail pass so most parts of Japan is accessible. Currently possible destinations are: Kamakura, Kyoto, Osaka, Hokkaido. Anywhere I should not miss? Thanks!
    In Tokyo
    Tsukiji Fish Market (Be sure to reach there by 6.30 am to see the auctioning of gigantic tuna and other assortment of fish. Very exciting and lively transactions happening every morning. But note that it closes on alternate Wednesdays. Nearest subway station is Tsukiji Station of the Hibiya Line.

Tokyo City View (This is at Ropponggi Hills. 52nd floor 360 degrees city view. But note that tripods are not allowed up the building, so gotta improvise up there. Magnificant night view, can see Tokyo Tower and the Rainbow Bridge.)

Temples like Sensoji (in Asakusa) and Meiji-jingu (in Harajuku) - for a taste of the old Japan. If you are lucky, you'll get to see festivals happening there. Check out b4 you go.

It's the Sakura season. Ueno Park is the place to see them. It's at Ueno station.

In Kyoto
    Every temple has it's own piece of history and charm. Depending on your route of movement and itinarary, decide on the temples/ shrines and go for it. U might like to visit a variety of of such religious grounds. There's Buddhist temples as well as Shinto SHrines, and some are Zen theme too.
    Kinkakuji and Jinkakuji are a couple that u might like to start with...

Gion (this is the place to see Geishas... if you r lucky that is... rumour has it that they come out in the evening.)

Kyoto is generally culturally rich. Open your eyes and the sights here are unbelievable.

And while you r in Kyoto, might as well pop by Nara. I didn't go there, but I heard it's worth going.

Photos I took last Dec in Japan are on my online gallery... Chk it out if you like... Have fun, and don't get 'Lost In Translation' there
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    are u sure ? how about those upskirt and down brouse shoot ??
    hmm.....yeah hor...never thought about that...interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    just kidding, anyway.....are u doing DIY to japan ???

i will be going only Tokyo during June for a business trip. Will definately stay there for few more days. Pls share your experience swhen u come back.
    More or less DIY, a fren is working there...except for a few short trips signed up...i am used to just wandering around and talking to myself.

Hopefully will be enough $ left when I come back for a 'luxury' trip to Nepal..and also maybe a trip to NZ before that.

OK. hopefully would be able to share some pictures.

Hi Jia Wang,

Thanks for the details!! Definitely will go to the Tsukiji Fish Market.
    Will go through all the photos in your gallery. You've been to all the beautiful places that I want to go next. wow!

waaa!!! u all going jp so fast! me also going jp and will be in earlyjune after i ORD in May, and it will be my vvv first tiem in jp!! good thing my sister went there 3x already so she just tell me where to eat/sleep/move then all i hav to do is shoot/shoot/shoot ;-) my wildest dream is to bump into max/kiroro/SMAP/hitomi/matsu takako/hiro/miho yoshioka/akane tamura/etc on the streets =)

Mt Fuji, if you're doing the night hike, travel light and try to hit the summit before 4am. Once the sun comes out, mountainside heats up and then the clouds start moving upslope...

If you want a hot drink, bring your own. I paid 700 yen for instant cup noodles. koff. Bring gaiters if you got em, the shale gets into boots on the way down. And the mountain gods decided to have fun with me on the way down, started raining and visibility went down to 10m...