Thread: Want faster shutter speed with flash

Default Want faster shutter speed with flash

Whenever I use the camera built-in flash, I cannot set the shutter speed to be faster than 1/250s. I need about 1/1000s to freeze action and the flash to eliminate the shadow. Will using an external flash solve the problem.

Default Re: Want faster shutter speed with flash

Most SLR have their sync rate set at about 1/200 or 1/250. Check with your manual to see how high it can go. Getting an external flash will not help much but you can try using bounc flash to get an overall better looking pic as compare to direct (it work best in an enclosed area). The Pro bodies do allowe higher sync rate, some at 1/500. I'm out of touch and maybe some might fill in on these. There oso the "FP" mode on some Canon bodies which allow higher rate. Go to this site and scroll to FP http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Bluestrike, thanks for the confirmation. Anyway, I managed to solve my problem by getting hold of a 580EXII. Setting the external flash to high speed sync worked fine on my 40D.

can be done, but is not easy..

leong23 has given a short explanation of how in his thread here, where he shoots macros with that setup. here's the specific post here. cheers

hmm...very interesting

thanks, Leong23 & night86mare!