Thread: Does cheap developing affect prints only, or film processing as well ?

Default Does cheap developing affect prints only, or film processing as well ?

RIght here in Australia, there is the $9.95 per roll of film with prints which is done by franchises. They are printed on Normal Kodak/Fuji/Agfa paper. Also, there is the $18 Fuji/Kodak shops that do photos as their only business, not a sideline. These are printed on Kodak ROyal/Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The prints between the cheap and expensive ones are very different. I would like to know, if the film processing quality differs, or merely the prints. If film processing is the same, I would go to the cheap developers, and select good shots to blow up, while having reasonable prints to look at.

Default Re: Does cheap developing affect prints only, or film processing as well ?

Originally posted by marcwang
    RIght here in Australia, there is the $9.95 per roll of film with prints which is done by franchises. They are printed on Normal Kodak/Fuji/Agfa paper. Also, there is the $18 Fuji/Kodak shops that do photos as their only business, not a sideline. These are printed on Kodak ROyal/Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The prints between the cheap and expensive ones are very different. I would like to know, if the film processing quality differs, or merely the prints. If film processing is the same, I would go to the cheap developers, and select good shots to blow up, while having reasonable prints to look at.
    I'd say both. Poor film handling can destroy film. At least bad prints can be reprinted.

Regards
    CK

I agree with ckiang.

Needed some prints done in a rush once, so just went to a near-by lab. The photos were quite off-colour (even the people looked white, it was like one of those shows on the supernatural/ weird pple) compared to the original prints from a "pro" lab

Yeah .. I agree. But bad prints is caused by poor film processing, or because of the printing? I dont mind poor quality prints, as long as the developing is good. What I want to know is that , does film processing differ between vendors. In other words, if I take a cheaply develop film to a professional printer, will I get good prints ?

Originally posted by marcwang
    In other words, if I take a cheaply develop film to a professional printer, will I get good prints ?
    If the film is badly processed, it will not come out with good prints. (Especially large ones!)

What is the price then if you just process the film and get it scan without printing? That way you can view using your PC and choose which to enlarge...

In Singapore, it costs $13.50 for process film + scanning into CD (no printing).