Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Is it a good choice?

  1. #1

    Default Is it a good choice?

    Hi to all,

    Currently very confuse. Needed advise from all the experts here.

    Currently got a 300D from a member her, found out that i am interested in taking marco and also landscape or portait. Is ef 75-300mm usm III ok for me ? meaning the len be used for general or marco or landscape or protait?

    If i want to learn all those is this len ok or need to get real marco len or len for landscape (wide angle) etc?


    Please advise....

    Thanks thanks....

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Get separate lenses.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by inspire78 View Post
    Hi to all,

    Currently very confuse. Needed advise from all the experts here.

    Currently got a 300D from a member her, found out that i am interested in taking marco and also landscape or portait. Is ef 75-300mm usm III ok for me ? meaning the len be used for general or marco or landscape or protait?

    If i want to learn all those is this len ok or need to get real marco len or len for landscape (wide angle) etc?


    Please advise....

    Thanks thanks....
    Errr, you have 3 VERY diverse interests.

    Your 75-300 *can* be used for portraits if you're willing to stand relatively far away. If you shoot the subject at max aperture at 200-300mm, you can achieve nice bokeh.

    Macro would be the same thing, but you'll never get as sharp as a dedicated macro lens.

    The 75-300 is almost totally pointless for landscape. Don't you have the standard Canon kit lens? You really should have something in the 12-20mm range for landscape photography. AFAIK the canon kit lens is 18-55, so you can use it at 18mm.
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Errr, you have 3 VERY diverse interests.

    Your 75-300 *can* be used for portraits if you're willing to stand relatively far away. If you shoot the subject at max aperture at 200-300mm, you can achieve nice bokeh.

    Macro would be the same thing, but you'll never get as sharp as a dedicated macro lens.

    The 75-300 is almost totally pointless for landscape. Don't you have the standard Canon kit lens? You really should have something in the 12-20mm range for landscape photography. AFAIK the canon kit lens is 18-55, so you can use it at 18mm.

    sorry what u mean by bokeh??? sorry dun understand , too new to photography. sorry sorry.

    so a macro lens will still be better if i want to use for macro instead of this 70-300mm lens. correct? hehehehe

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    thks zac08 for replying. thank you for the info too. hehehehe....

  6. #6
    Senior Member egnaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay, Singapore
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by inspire78 View Post
    sorry what u mean by bokeh??? sorry dun understand , too new to photography. sorry sorry.
    Wiki bokeh shd give u a better understanding... I learn some photography term thru wikipedia too...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

  7. #7
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by inspire78 View Post
    thks zac08 for replying. thank you for the info too. hehehehe....
    Sorry... not a Canon user, so can't give any detailed suggestions.

    But as mentioned, you'd need at least a few different lens. I would suggest getting a wide angle which can be covered with the kit lens or wider if you prefer wider angles.

    For macros, you would have choices from about 60mm to 180mm and the longer ones would be much better for insect macros and the shorter ones for still life or food photography.

    Portrait shooting would range from 24mm to 135mm, most popular being the 85mm...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    inspire78

    i tink u are v confused and overwhelmed.

    dun rush into too many things.

    one step at a time.

    read up on macro, potrait and landscape photography.

    look at ppl's photos.

    talk to experienced ppl.

    learn slowly.

    learn the rite things. the bare basics.

    happy shooting.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Sorry... not a Canon user, so can't give any detailed suggestions.

    But as mentioned, you'd need at least a few different lens. I would suggest getting a wide angle which can be covered with the kit lens or wider if you prefer wider angles.

    For macros, you would have choices from about 60mm to 180mm and the longer ones would be much better for insect macros and the shorter ones for still life or food photography.

    Portrait shooting would range from 24mm to 135mm, most popular being the 85mm...
    Its ok Zac08.....thks for being patience with this newbie newbie.....hehehehe.......

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    Wiki bokeh shd give u a better understanding... I learn some photography term thru wikipedia too...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh
    ok will do ....thks thks......hehehehe.....


    Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    inspire78

    i tink u are v confused and overwhelmed.

    dun rush into too many things.

    one step at a time.

    read up on macro, potrait and landscape photography.

    look at ppl's photos.

    talk to experienced ppl.

    learn slowly.

    learn the rite things. the bare basics.

    happy shooting.
    ok ....thks u.....need this type of guides from all expert.....i too gan jiong liao.....hehehe....

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    I'm assuming that your current equipment would be something as follows;
    - Canon 300D
    - EF-S 18-55mm II
    - EF 75-300mm III

    Landscape; can use the EF-S 18-55mm II until you find a reason why that is not good enough for you
    Portrait; can use the EF 75-300mm III, not exactly ideal, but good enough

    The macro part.... rather than buying another lens, i'd suggest you get a reversal ring to mount the EF-S 18-55mm II in a reverse manner. A cheaper solution for macro experiment ^^

  12. #12

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    If your emphasis is macro, perhaps I suggest 100mm f2.8.
    It can double up as a really good portrait lens too.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by pl4sMa View Post
    I'm assuming that your current equipment would be something as follows;
    - Canon 300D
    - EF-S 18-55mm II
    - EF 75-300mm III

    Landscape; can use the EF-S 18-55mm II until you find a reason why that is not good enough for you
    Portrait; can use the EF 75-300mm III, not exactly ideal, but good enough

    The macro part.... rather than buying another lens, i'd suggest you get a reversal ring to mount the EF-S 18-55mm II in a reverse manner. A cheaper solution for macro experiment ^^
    Do note that reverse macros is only good for still life, you'll gonna be very pissed with it when trying to shoot insects as you can only move the whole rig forward and backwards to focus.

    Not forgetting, the aperture ring has to be locked at the desired aperture for shooting or you'll just be shooting wide open (if you have a aperture ring lens) or totally closed in the case of the modern lenses which does not have aperture ring. Stopping down the aperture will also be difficult as you'll have difficulty trying to see the subject.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    beside jurong point
    Posts
    704

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    for a start, just go get a close up filter will do.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    I am also looking at going into macro photography and is currently considering the EF100mm f/2.8 lens from Canon. Is this a good one for long term wise as budget abit tight at the moment? Has the price went up as I thought some threads were saying their lens price is down? I checked Canon online and their pricing for EF100mm Macro was about S$899 but the pricing shown in CS is about 1K?

  16. #16
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by eoscanon40d View Post
    I am also looking at going into macro photography and is currently considering the EF100mm f/2.8 lens from Canon. Is this a good one for long term wise as budget abit tight at the moment? Has the price went up as I thought some threads were saying their lens price is down? I checked Canon online and their pricing for EF100mm Macro was about S$899 but the pricing shown in CS is about 1K?
    If you're tight... do consider the Tamron 90mm.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  17. #17

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Ok thanks will look at that. How's the comparison like for EF100mm canon as compared to Tamron 90mm. Any real battle comparison will be good if possible.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ngck12 View Post
    for a start, just go get a close up filter will do.
    Hmm.. what is a close up filter actually for? Pros & cons?

  19. #19
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by eoscanon40d View Post
    Ok thanks will look at that. How's the comparison like for EF100mm canon as compared to Tamron 90mm. Any real battle comparison will be good if possible.
    Sorry... u gotta check with the Canon users.. I only use Nikon
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  20. #20
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Is it a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by mutant View Post
    Hmm.. what is a close up filter actually for? Pros & cons?
    Help you to focus closer.

    Pros : cheap, ease of use, small form factor
    Cons : lower picture quality, and does not give you a very good magnification factor.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •