Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon or Nikon ?

Default Re: Canon or Nikon ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    dont have existing equipment?
    throw a coin...
    agree with you,

to TS, both are good, if you can't decide, try toss a coin, it will make your life much simple.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    agree with you,

to TS, both are good, if you can't decide, try toss a coin, it will make your life much simple.
    ... or see what your friends use, so there is a higher likelihood that you can borrow lenses from them.. But friends who know me know I don't lend my equipment because it's very hard on the feelings if any accidents happen.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 28th July 2008 at 11:14 AM.

anyway, don't try let others tell which camera system is good for you,
    it just like asking your friends to help you pick a girl friend for you..

and the worst part is...... we hardly know you,
    would you want to take advice from some totally strangers??

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    ... or see what your friends use, so there is a higher likelihood that you can borrow lenses from them.. But friends who know me know I don't lend my equipment because it's very hard on the feelings if any accidents happen.
    this is a sound advice to a newbie

not only wow, but ouch!
    no pain no gain!

si mi lai eh? why no LCD one eh??
    Teaches you to be pro!
    Alpha

Talking Re: Canon or Nikon ?

Seriously speaking, i would think that you have to take the following into consideration:-

1) Do you have friends that are photogs as well? if yes then you might be better off joining the same side as both you and your friend "share" gear and as well as overcome certain technicalities of the brand that you guys have chosen. In such a scenario, you save both money and time by getting the same system.

2) if the above does not apply to you, go with the camera that you feel most comfortable with. as for your situation, both nikon and canon are very reliable companies therefore nothing much to worry about after sales support. (for those whom have other experiences, please dun flame me).

3) Gear - since we are all not doing it as a livelihood(i think), most DSLRs should be able to meet up to your shooting requirements. in this section, you might also consider the system you are buying. some forumers here quote that Sony's lenses are steeper and also certain lenses are available only to certain brands. therefore you might need to consider your future lens purchases as well.

4) Budget- if budget is an issue then perhaps you ought to look into the basic models of the above 2 brands you have chosen. for example, d60 having only 3 af points and uses a later model of lens with in built motor. the incoming 1000D from canon being smaller than his or her other brothers (form factor)

All the above constitute to a certain biaseness to the person buying the camera and no one person in here has the same situation as you might have. perhaps, use the above three points as a guideline and weigh your own priorities. from there, you should be able to work something out.

Last but not the least, try not to start a thread with such a title as this will give rise to forumers flaming your thread

PS: Welcome to the bottomless pit of photography.

Rgds
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    But if you still haven't a clue...Go buy both a Nikon D3 & a Canon EOS 1D Mark III.

That is the one true path towards capturing pictures that make ppl go WOW
    I see you're getting the hang of using WOW.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mrc0w View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, this is a the question i have been asking myself before i got my first DSLR camera. i hope to hear from you guys of the advantages and disadvantages. As far as i know from the sales person, these 2 are the trusted companies.

so guys share your opinions !

wah .. u all hor ..very bad ler...make the TS paiseh until he's not even replying ..

TS..come come .. let fabian kor kor talk to you ...
    basically hor it's quite hard to keep scores for both brands .... it might be easier to keep scores if you have a price bracket to start with lor.

For new entry levels around the 1K bracket, u have the ( no preference in naming them ), Nikon D60 or the Canon 1000D lor. Both have fancy features to keep you glued to them, much like a PNS compact camera. If u have used compact camera, these camera offers you a few step up in terms of image quality and creativity at a slight increase in weight. However they are still light enough to dump inside s abag and head off. =)

What I usually share with people hor when they are getting thier first DSLR is to find a 2nd hand ones lor ... just like motor bike, most people will say stop at 2B but 5 years down the road u see them riding a hayabusa lor .... also same with P plate 1st car purchase, always get a 2nd hand one first lor. U never know when u will scratch others or other will scratch yours during parking. hehe

For used ones, there's really quite a number to chose from, like from ( no preference in listing them ) Nikon D40(x), D80, Canon 400D or the quite new 450D. You can find them in the buy and sell section.

The image quality for these camera aren't far from each other even if you nitpick on them and try to decipher. I would say thay with proper holding techniques and a creative eye, you can churn out fabulous pictures even with these cams! =)

For a starter lens , I would suggest getting a lens with some form of stabilization. Most compact camera already have some form of image stabilization build in so your pictures would turn out reasonably sharp when using them. When u moe up to DSLR, you would expect that form of sharpness or maybe even more. Some form of stabilization could ensure that. For Nikon, it is call "vibration Reduction" abbev. as "VR" and for Canon it is call " Image Stabilization" abbev as "IS".

Also don't fret about the CCD vs CMOS sensor thing, you may hear some telling you some fallacious stories about which is better and which is not; which is more expensive and therefor 'better', why more expensive cameras are using that particular sensor and therefore it produces 'better' images. Some maybe true quoted with a technical background tested with equipments and shooting brick wall, but how many times do we shoot brick walls anyway.

Last and not least after you purchase it, don't compare it with others. It either makes you feels good or feels bad. There are bound to be people who's picky abt your choices. It only shows how superficial these people are.

So as you can see, there any really aren't many advantages and disadvantages between the two brands. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

My advise is really to go out and hold these cameras in your hands, fiddle around the features ( which I think you probably find it cumbersome ), evaluate how you feel when you hold on to the camera. For me, a camera you are comfortable holding will be a camera which you want to bring out more often and shoot with them. =)

Well said!
    Now can we all agree to use fabian's answer as template for other similar posts?
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Yep. Informative and helpful post by fabianaino there in what normally turns into a flame-inducing thread.

si mi lai eh? why no LCD one eh??
    Rangefinder. More ex than Leica heheeee
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Rangefinder. More ex than Leica heheeee
    you sure Voigtlander is more ex than Leica? are you sure? very very sure? absolutely sure??

Both are excellent cameras...

which one do you find comfortable using it...

The most important thing is the person behind the camera... if you don't have a clue what you are shooting... both cameras will be useless.

If you know your subject well... the cameras can produce excellent pics.

alright guys, prolly this isnt a thread to be posted.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc0w View Post
    alright guys, prolly this isnt a thread to be posted.
    most people will do their own research by reading up each camera system or models reviews.

this type of thread either will start a brand war shortly, or you yourself get humtum, in the end the thread will get locked.

anyway, some valid advices already given to you by many friendly CSers. Good luck.

I think its up to you to create your own comparison. Infact I think both system have their pros and cons. You really got to read up yourself and do your own research on which system best suit your shooting need. Personally though I think its the user rather then the brand or system that determines which will be better lol. Unless its specialize work like system flash or macro, I feel that both systems are the same. Alot of people gave their comments here but in the end its best to go down and see them yourself. In the end it maybe the design and ergonomics that determine which you buy lol.

Perhaps everybody has asked this question to him/herself some time in life.
    I made the decision based on the look (design). I like the Nikon look. So i bought F75. I like the D70 look. So i bought D70. Now I am a Nikon fan Ridiculous as it may sounds, it works for me. Rather than tossing coins....

[quote=mrc0w;4203111]these 2 are the trusted companies.

quote]

In fact is quite true but that doesn't mean that the other brands are not capable
    It's the most popular brands I can say
    Visit my work @ flickR
    D300 * + *

Also think of the lens you are going buy for the camera,Perhaps it will made your choice easier. look for the brand that offer you the best range of lens and price.eg 18-55(VR),55-200(vr)or 70-300(Vr)etc.
    Hope this will help.
    grab the brand that offer good lens with good price.:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast