Thread: Integrating Photography into entry admission Portfolio

Default Integrating Photography into entry admission Portfolio

Hi guys, i'm a NSF serving my time now with 1 more year to go and alot of free time on hand. And i am sincerely interested in pursuing design & media diploma courses which are offered by NAFA and La Salle. Besides using O'lvl credits, i decided to do up a portfolio. That explains my situation.

Now, i'm wondering if there is any ex-Design & Media students who have have done up a portfolio consisting of his/her own artwork using photography including using sketches/2-d/3-d/etc. How do i go about doing the preparatory work, using photography? Do i need to prepare development of ideas and the processes used during the creation of my chosen photos? Could anyone give me a basic guideline or any completed online portfolio for some researching (swear its for pure researching).

Thanks in advance for any help given, PM me if the works are for private viewing(e.g your own portfolio)

Default Re: Integrating Photography into entry admission Portfolio

hmm im trying out NTU's arts design media too this would help

Whichever way u present your portfolio, it'll be outstanding if you can demonstrate 'basic design principles'. Google and study what they're about. You can also find these books in Borders,etc.

Then sit down and plan what you can shoot that will demonstrate these eg. balance, contrast, how a design leads the eye...
    Dont worry abt techniques or skills.

Examples I often used to show students are movie posters. You can see many of these principles used.

Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    Do i need to prepare development of ideas and the processes used during the creation of my chosen photos?
    That would be excellent.

Even if for photographs, if you don't have the physical development (sketches etc) available, be sure you can talk about the process. It's important that you're able to talk about your work, your ideas, your conceptualization process.

As you are enrolling in a diploma/degree programme, the interviewing lecturer/s will not be expecting polished professional-level work. So don't feel intimidated if you know your work isn't top-class, but you'll need to have some fundamentals at least. They'll be looking for potential that they can help develop and nurture.

Check out these links:

http://www.fredonia.edu/department/a...ioPrep2003.pdf

http://www.vcu.edu/arts/downloads/po...guidelines.pdf

Portfolio Option One
    A Body of Work

Submit up to sixteen images (a minimum of 12) of art that you have created within the past two years that show your promise in visual Art and Design. Present your strongest work and demonstrate your potential to develop a diverse set of skills and ideas should you be accepted into the Art Foundation Program at VCU. We prefer to see a range of 2D and 3D media, but if your work is concentrated in a single medium your portfolio can be weighted in that area. Drawing from observation is recommended, while copying anime, cartoons, graffiti or tattoos is discouraged.

Portfolio Option Two
    Drawing and Design Exercises

Applicants without a body of work (portfolio option one) you may submit the following ten drawing and design exercises. Follow the directions carefully. Some of the exercises are worded in a way that requires your interpretation as an integral part of the exercise. Please do not call VCUarts to request further clarification. Each exercise must be completed on a separate sheet of 8.5” x 11” inch paper.

Revision 11/07

PORTFOLIO PREPARATION GUIDELINES
    www.vcu.edu/arts/prospective_students/index.html

If you choose to submit these exercises as your portfolio you can mail in the originals or use the online submission format. If you choose to submit original drawings print your full legal name, your date of birth and the exercise number in the lower left hand corner on the back of the original. The originals become part of your permanent file and will not be returned.

1. Make a free-hand perspective drawing of a corner of a room within your dwelling. Include at least three pieces of
    furniture. Draw this view as carefully as possible.

2. Make a drawing of two or more transparent objects. Make your drawing as accurate as possible.

3. Draw a geometric volume that is being vigorously affected by an internal force. This is an exercise that requires your interpretation. You should determine what the internal force is and how it is visually affecting the geometric volume.

4. Select three objects and place them in a windowsill or in a similar location where you can see both the objects and a landscape or cityscape beyond. We are interested how you choose to represent this juxtaposition. Consider, scale, composition, light and space.

5. Select two objects that have completely different characters and scale. In a series of at least four drawings, transform one object into the other.

6. Render a self-portrait from observation using a mirror. Do not use a photograph. Alternately, you may draw a friend or family member from direct observation. When planning your drawing consider composition and the use of positive and negative space. Complete this exercise with as much detail as possible.

7. Draw a device of your own invention that solves a problem that you have encountered.

8. Using a digital or analog camera provide a photographic illustration for “page 87” of your autobiography. Print the image on an 8.5”x11” sheet of paper. If you do not have access to camera equipment you may create a drawing for this exercise.

9. Arrange a still life composition consisting of at least three objects touching one another. Consider the objects you choose carefully. Before making your drawing, physically alter one or more of these objects. Using a pencil, draw your creation as accurately as possible.

10. Using any medium, depict an unconventional interior space that you would like to inhabit. You may use conventional drawing, photography, digital programs, collage or other media. Carefully and thoughtfully present your proposed space.

11-14. (optional) You may submit up to four additional pieces of your choice in digital or slide format (See formatting instructions listed above for portfolio option one).

Thumbs up Re: Integrating Photography into entry admission Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by firestone View Post
    Whichever way u present your portfolio, it'll be outstanding if you can demonstrate 'basic design principles'. Google and study what they're about. You can also find these books in Borders,etc.

Then sit down and plan what you can shoot that will demonstrate these eg. balance, contrast, how a design leads the eye...
    Dont worry abt techniques or skills.

Examples I often used to show students are movie posters. You can see many of these principles used.
    Excellent advice!

firestone: Thanks, always been studying advertisments stuffs like movie posters and products ad, but sometimes im still alittle bit restricted by some photography and photoshop techniques, trying to learn more as time goes by. Thanks!

kandinsky: God bless you, thanks for that detailed link u gave. Really been a great help, alrite im gona continue gnawing stuffs out of those =)
    Thanks for the encouragement and help really appreciate it, i really hope this thread could help those who are on the same boat as me too.
    Hsteric Motion media ;a memorable experience.