Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: COMEX

Default Re: COMEX

[QUOTE=vonlichenstein;4300877]with casing for a 1TB WD 3.5" HDD is $199.90. my friend checked for me

Any idea which model is that, is it My Book Essential?

Any knows if singtel is promoting HTC Touch Pro? I'm now in Bangladeh so cannot go and check myself

1TB is 1000 gig?
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    1TB is 1000 gig?
    Yes, but your system will only show 900+ GB.

1TB.....if crash whole 1TB gone man......i dun encourage this. better use 200g harddisk.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

For those going for WD external HDD (3.5in), you might want to check which power adaptor they use. My 1 year old 500gig WD Elements comes with some PS2-like 5 pin plug, which is extremely rare. It died after 1 year and WD said they do not carry the parts, plus adaptor is not under warranty and asked me to "get one from your local hardware shop". I walked shop by shop at Sim Lim tower trying to find the adaptor, ultimately found it at one shop tucked away in one corner in sim lim square after hunting for 3 hours.
    Last edited by shinken; 28th August 2008 at 10:55 PM.

Any other hdd deals?
    I'm not so for WD cos of some compatibility issues...
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

is this A good time to buy a CF card?
    any suggestion for cheap 8gig one with lifetime warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by tirza View Post
    is this A good time to buy a CF card?
    any suggestion for cheap 8gig one with lifetime warranty?
    go see the sandisk booth. not sure of average CF card prices, but the SD cards were reasonably priced. not VERY cheap but not expensive either.

HDD the prices for WD vary depending on the model, so the best is just go down and see. haha its not THAT crowded.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

anyone knows the price of the CF card?

1TB.....if crash whole 1TB gone man......i dun encourage this. better use 200g harddisk.
    You have a point there but having multiple 200GB harddisks just takes up space though. Perhaps a 500GB disk is good compromise between space and reliability.

liddat u waste 4 precious Sata port... and normal system nowadays only have 4 sata port, with 200g u only have 800g...

and imagine u use 1 for OS... then u only left with 3, then if your dvd drive is sata, u left with 2...

best way is still get big hdd, and do backups to dvds (if its so important)

btw, u also suggest ppl to use a 128mb cf card instead of a 8gb cf card? dun put all the eggs in 1 basket?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    You have a point there but having multiple 200GB harddisks just takes up space though. Perhaps a 500GB disk is good compromise between space and reliability.
    When 200GB is full, put it aside and connect a new one........it is meant for long storage, DVD last fewer years than HDD I think

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    When 200GB is full, put it aside and connect a new one........it is meant for long storage, DVD last fewer years than HDD I think

HS
    wrong... hdd dun last longer than dvd...

dvd is burnt in, unless the dye wear off, or disc scratch, else it will last quite long.

but if you say hdd, 1st, technology improvement, your hdd may not be able to boot, next it have mechanical parts, most part will spoil in 5 years or lesser, depends on wear and tear, and even if you don't use, the contacts will oxidise and it will deteroriate.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    wrong... hdd dun last longer than dvd...

dvd is burnt in, unless the dye wear off, or disc scratch, else it will last quite long.

but if you say hdd, 1st, technology improvement, your hdd may not be able to boot, next it have mechanical parts, most part will spoil in 5 years or lesser, depends on wear and tear, and even if you don't use, the contacts will oxidise and it will deteroriate.
    Logically so, yes. But all my CDR backups from the late 1990s all cannot be read already. And some of the CDRs from 5-6 years back are also having problems being read. They were just burned and stored, so I don't know how it 'worn' out. Whereas my 7 year old HDD is doing well in its 2nd home. However, in proving your point, another 6 year old HDD just died without warning though. Bottomline is, there's no true perpetual backup solution. Backup needs to be refreshed every couple of years.

I just bought a NAS system yesterday at Comex, the Netgear NV+ RND4000 bare for $949. it's retailing for ard $12xx before the show. To me that's so far the best way (not to mention convenient and affordable way) to backup data.

I will be putting 4 x 500G in it and do RAID5, so that if 1 of the HDD spoils, it can easily be hot-swappable by a new HDD and continue using without losing the data. To reduce probability of losing the data, I'm getting a 1TB external HDD backup whatever is in the NAS. It has a USB connection to it and a 1-touch backup button. Both the NAS and external HDD will be running 24/7.

I'm looking for a PnS max $500/-. The water proof Oly looks good as will be used by my wife and kids when we go on holidays/outing and it's water proof up to 3m ( my kida love the beach and pool )

Any other suggestion?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by behyx View Post
    I just bought a NAS system yesterday at Comex, the Netgear NV+ RND4000 bare for $949. it's retailing for ard $12xx before the show. To me that's so far the best way (not to mention convenient and affordable way) to backup data.

I will be putting 4 x 500G in it and do RAID5, so that if 1 of the HDD spoils, it can easily be hot-swappable by a new HDD and continue using without losing the data. To reduce probability of losing the data, I'm getting a 1TB external HDD backup whatever is in the NAS. It has a USB connection to it and a 1-touch backup button. Both the NAS and external HDD will be running 24/7.
    You used NAS, I used DROBO.....now already hit 2T.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    You used NAS, I used DROBO.....now already hit 2T.
    Bro, how much did you get your Drobo for and through what mean did you get it through?
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    Bro, how much did you get your Drobo for and through what mean did you get it through?
    Bro, B&H. .... Latest version have firewire and also you need a Droboshare to connect to your network.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast