Thread: advice needed

Default advice needed

i am going to the ndp this year, most prob will be sitting in the front sect of floating plat i.e. beside the MP n Ministers.

i will want to shoot the fireworks and the performance during the parade however i need advice regarding the following:

1.wide or telephoto lens?
    2.should i bring tripod? then will it be diff to get through security checks?
    3.tips to shoot for the parade? like where to shoot, what to shoot?
    4.due to low lighting and i do not have a ext flash unit, tips to shoot in those conditions?

thx thx, help will be very much appreciated!!

Default Re: advice needed

I am not sure what new security checks they have this year, so I offer my 2 cents based on my experience last year.

wide or telephoto lens?
    I used both wide angle (10-22mm) and telephoto (70-200mm). The wide angle is useful for capturing the whole platform with the fireworks in the back ground. As for the telephoto, I think a longer lens is needed if you want to capture the faces of the performers on the platform.

For fireworks, you would need a tripod. How you would deploy it would be another matter. There wasn't much space unless you want to place it on the steps, which is hazardous to people walking around.

I had not problems going through the security checks, but then again,maybe it was because I was attached to one of the perfoming groups.

If you cant get a preview ticket, check the programme and photos on the newspapers leading up to the day, they might give you some ideas. For fire works, you can go down to the area near Fullerton on Saturdays to practice your skills. The timing of fireworks is also quite precise, so note down the timings on when you need to get ready during your actual day.

4.due to low lighting and i do not have a ext flash unit, tips to shoot in those conditions?
    Flash, besides being irritating to those sitting around you, will not be of much help, the performers will be too far away. Based on last years experience, the stage will be sufficiently lighted up.

Smile Re: advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I am not sure what new security checks they have this year, so I offer my 2 cents based on my experience last year.

wide or telephoto lens?
    I used both wide angle (10-22mm) and telephoto (70-200mm). The wide angle is useful for capturing the whole platform with the fireworks in the back ground. As for the telephoto, I think a longer lens is needed if you want to capture the faces of the performers on the platform.

For fireworks, you would need a tripod. How you would deploy it would be another matter. There wasn't much space unless you want to place it on the steps, which is hazardous to people walking around.

I had not problems going through the security checks, but then again,maybe it was because I was attached to one of the perfoming groups.

If you cant get a preview ticket, check the programme and photos on the newspapers leading up to the day, they might give you some ideas. For fire works, you can go down to the area near Fullerton on Saturdays to practice your skills. The timing of fireworks is also quite precise, so note down the timings on when you need to get ready during your actual day.

Flash, besides being irritating to those sitting around you, will not be of much help, the performers will be too far away. Based on last years experience, the stage will be sufficiently lighted up.
    thanks alot for your help!! i will head down to the marina area this coming sat for the preview show. then perhaps i will get a rough idea of what to shoot during the actual parade. thx a million!!!