Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to take street candid without ended up in the hospital?

Default Re: how to take street candid without ended up in the hospital?

the next question to this will be, if you are confronted and about to kena whacked for refusing to delete the pics,

1) protect urself then protect ur equipment?
    2) die2 must protect equipment, don't care about urself?
    3) use ur equipment as a weapon?
    4) all singaporeans are very friendly and not camera shy.

run to nearest police station... lol...
    i wish i won't encounter that kind of things )
    just be polite, smile, and you'll be ok ( i think.. )

You can use spy angle lens .

Quote Originally Posted by Hairi View Post
    the next question to this will be, if you are confronted and about to kena whacked for refusing to delete the pics,

1) protect urself then protect ur equipment?
    2) die2 must protect equipment, don't care about urself?
    3) use ur equipment as a weapon?
    4) all singaporeans are very friendly and not camera shy.

It is a personal thing. There is no right answer. Look, it has already been covered earlier in your thread. In a public place, and if the person is also in public, then he really has no rights to force your hand to delete a photograph, and he cannot use physical aggression to make you do so. Once he has hit you, and you have witnesses, you do know that you can file a police report, don't you?

However, if you respect him/her, then just kindly comply. It will give all photographers out there a better name, and at the end of the day, he/she will be happy, and so will you (ok not as happy, but at least unhurt).

Thought I'd contribute.

This was taken from my facebook albums as my computer seems to have a bit of problems with deviantart. Guess this guy was too preoccupied with rush hour traffic to stop and confront me anyways.

Do it quickly!

I took my own sweet time for this...
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

I dunno so many ppl out there in singapore are into these kinds of pic.

I prefer as close as possible.. Film, digital or toy cameras.

Last edited by nordleadx; 29th July 2008 at 02:04 PM.

choose your subject carefully. and always ask permission if there are alot of people in the scene. if there is only 1 person, chat with person first. when you are like professionally, they will be able to compromise too.

Quote Originally Posted by nordleadx View Post
    I dunno so many ppl out there in singapore are into these kinds of pic.

I prefer as close as possible.. Film, digital or toy cameras.

i am impressed .

One more tip: Dress like a tourist!! Put on a hat and a Hawaiian shirt... People are usually more forgiving about tourist taking photos around. Best if can mutter a few Korean/Jap when confronted

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    i have nvr been confronted before. i use a various of styles like describe earlier. usually telephoto to get a more distant feel from the subjects and wide angle to get a in your face feel. sometimes i bring my manual camera out and it takes an awful long time to manually focus and sometimes they do shun away. but nvr been confronted before and i will not delete away pics because its a public place. so i can do what i want.
    Wah bro, i respect you for that. I agree, its a public place and we are all free to do what the law allows us to do.

However for bros who are thinking of sneaking shots of people, i dun think its a good idea bah. If i am not wrong, its against the law to sneak shots of people (attempting to hide the intent to shoot). I think still better to shoot openly, if confronted then decide how best to resolve. Can't imagine shooting behind the cover of newspapers and got caught, the impression given will be very different. Just my thoughts.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

I attended a talk by a former Star Editor before. He was actually confronted in Australia when taking a picture, but never in Malaysia or Singapore.

Also, worse case is just take out your memory card and give it to them.. Rather lose a hundred bucks rather than being beat up or damage the other stuff.
    Shahrul Esa

I posted this before, but this seems as good a place as any. I am not a fan of "sneaky" photography, something which is, in my opinion, entirely unnecessary and only gives photographers a bad rep if you do end up getting sprung anyway...Here are some of the things that I try to abide by when I take candids:

1. Always be open about what you are doing. This doesn't mean you should intentionally reveal yourself to your subject, but just don't act in a suspicious manner. Using an SLR makes you seem more "honest" because you aren't using a small, concealable camera, and makes you (to most people who don't follow photography) seem like more a "professional".

2. If somebody turns and looks at you as you take their picture don't try and hide what you are doing. When this happens I keep eye contact with them and smile, maybe waggle the camera a little to indicate to them what I was doing. If they look at me before I take the photo I will hold up the camera and make a questioning expression. 99.99% of people will respond positively to this. They will smile back, or perhaps pose for you. Indeed, many people seem flattered that you would want to take their picture.

3. Children are difficult. It is very important that you don't come across as threatening to the parents. If I am in risk of being seen by the parents I will ALWAYS make eye contact with them and establish if it is ok if I take the photo. Often, if they are okay with me taking the picture, I will approach them and offer to send them prints by email. Having a name card of any description makes these people a lot less suspicious, and often parents are very happy to accept. It is important with children that you pick your place approriately. For example: photographing the kids playing in the fountain in Bugis Junction is unlikely to raise any objection and is perfectly acceptable. However, photographing a child playing on its own with its mum or dad in the HDB park is likely to be a bad idea. Just think about what you would be comfortable with and work with that.

4. Finally, if somebody does raise an objection I always find it best to talk to them, not to run off. I am always open and honest about my intent and if somebody questions my activity I will explain to them in open terms that the scene caught my attention and that it interested me as a photographer. I will ALWAYS offer to delete the picture BEFORE they ask me to. Most people will respond to this positively, fequently expressing appology for the missundersanding or indiference. In the end, if they do tell you that they are uncomfortable with your pictures and ask you to delete them I always do it, and it appears to apease them a great deal.

In the end, you want to take pictures that YOU are happy with, and that strike a chord with your memory of the event. Even if you end up "winning" a fight with a subject and keeping the picture, it will forever be marred by the unfortunate circumstance that you went through to get it, and you won't be able to enjoy it. Anyway, I hope this helps you. Happy candids!
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairi View Post
    i've seen alotsa of beautiful street candid shots but do the photographer had any confrontation by the public before? Is it legal to take people photo without their consent? Are we suppose to pay them if we want them to pose for us? Care to share any bad experience?
    gain streetsmarts, know the rules.

it's always a gamble. if anything, when confronted stay calm and respectful, after all while you have every right to take a photograph of them in a public place, there is no need to rub it in anyone's face. simple.

hmm very informative. thanks.

Good advice from Churchwolf
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

very well said by churchwolf

somehow, after shooting for quite a while,
    i realised that street photog portraits are a good favourite not just in shooting, but beneficial to you as a person. It all begins with interaction.
    I never ever shoot someone's close up without asking them.
    In fact, I've always felt that shooting from far, though may keep the spontaneous scene uninterrupted, is as good as stealing a shot from them.
    It makes good contact when you get their approval, a few mocked poses for the exact shot you want (instead of waiting at your sniping spot) and who knows, even a good conversation with them! Not only you get the shot, but you get to walk away knowing that person even better, being able to explain, compose and conceptualise the shot even better and even walk away with lifeskills that the person can offer.

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

Lesson learnt :-

1) Don't be afraid or don't hide if you have good intention.

2) Learn to be more interactive. (most s'porean don't even like to smile to each other, they will think that you are crazy or somethg.)

3) Be prepared to be approached or asked.

4) Respect others privacy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12