Thread: Sorry, it was a rare mistake, says DBS Bank

Default Sorry, it was a rare mistake, says DBS Bank

Sorry, it was a rare mistake, says DBS Bank

DBS VP says they will work closely with the other banks or customers to rectify the errors.

Fri, Jul 25, 2008
    The Straits Times

WE REFER to the letter by Mr Charles Lim published last Friday titled 'Why were banks so cavalier about cheque blunder?'

We apologise for the error made in clearing the cheque - as Mr Lim rightly pointed out, a cheque with differing amounts written in words and in numerals will be rejected.

His accounts with both banks have been adjusted and a copy of the cheque image was sent to him for reference. We would like to take the opportunity to assure Mr Lim that such errors are very rare despite the millions of cheques cleared by the bank each month.

In such instances, we will work closely with the other banks or customers to rectify the errors.

We thank him for his feedback.

Janet Mohan (Ms)
    Vice President
    Customer Care & Feedback Management
    Consumer Banking Group
    DBS Bank

Default Re: Sorry, it was a rare mistake, says DBS Bank

I disagree. I think DBS is very lacking in their abilities as one of the leading banks in Singapore. They had cleared a chq which was signed by someone, other than myself, the owner of the account.

Now I only deposit money in to clear checks n giro arrangments and just enough to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I disagree. I think DBS is very lacking in their abilities as one of the leading banks in Singapore. They had cleared a chq which was signed by someone, other than myself, the owner of the account.

Wah that's a serious screw up Did you lose any money?
    Come visit my Flickr :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post

Now I only deposit money in to clear checks n giro arrangments and just enough to do it.
    Really? You have a case there. Bring it to MAS.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Really? You have a case there. Bring it to MAS.
    What evidence do I need? now all i have is a letter from them about this matter. (if I can find it)

Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    Wah that's a serious screw up Did you lose any money?
    Nope I did not.

You'll need a copy of the check to prove that the signature is not yours and the bank book/statement which shows that the check has been cleared and the amount deducted.

Luckily I don't bank with them anymore. Maybe you should consider ending your banking relationship with them and put your money in another bank.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

DBS = Damn Bloody Stupid
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    You'll need a copy of the check to prove that the signature is not yours and the bank book/statement which shows that the check has been cleared and the amount deducted.

Luckily I don't bank with them anymore. Maybe you should consider ending your banking relationship with them and put your money in another bank.
    IMHO, you don't really need to have it - if it was a recent incident, they are bound to have cheque image archives. All it takes is a letter to MAS's banking supervisory unit, and (hopefully) they'll do the rest. The letter is indeed proof that the incident exists.

like the big guy always say, dont condem them just because of 1 mistake. think of the goods that they have done.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

a quote taken from one of the threads here...

"since the officers who made the decisions were not the beneficiaries in any sense of the word, such lapses are mistakes and are therefore acceptable..."

so since the officer who cleared the cheque do not benefit from it... therefore it's acceptable.

i think this quote is gonna be famous...
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    DBS = Damn Bloody Stupid

I work in a bank, and I work closely with my lockbox team as part of what I do.

These kind of mistakes are inevitable, for corporate customers, we normally have an SLA with a 0.5% tolerance, given that cheque clearing is still quite manual (Despite all the DP machines to scan the cheuqes etc...) and given that these guys clear thousands of cheques a day.

Anyway images should be stored for 7 years and is still subject to the Evidence Act to answer another question in this forum.
    Nikon D700,50mm f1.8, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-300 f4-5.6

If amount is small then don't kick a big fuss.
    You are likely to get same treatment from ANY bank.
    If it is your own chequebook, then how did the other person get hold of the cheque. And sign it.
    Are you not going after the person who signed the cheque pretending to be you? Is that not a bigger wrongdoing.