Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

  1. #1

    Default Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Hi All,

    Not so long a go I sold my Nikon D40 and replace it with Fuji F40fd,
    But now I'm start to regret it and wanted to buy
    another D40 as the price is so low now.

    But the problem is in an Indonesian website I saw that Sony has promotion
    for the A200 and that makes both of Nikon D40 and Sony A200 is in
    the same price!!!

    That's make me confuse, I already know the and try D40
    but it doesn't have in body stabilization and motor.

    So what do you think guys???

    Which one is better???

    Could you please help me to choose......

    Any input and suggestion would be a great help for me.
    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    I would go for the A200 if the price is about the same or even with the RRP of $999 in SG. The reason is becos of the build in stabiliser and AF works even with a 20 year old Minolta lens. But that's just me.

    Perhaps you would like to have a feel of the A200 first before deciding as you are the one using it so you ust be comfortable with using it.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Hello, a noob here too but i just bought a D60 recently. How much is your Budget? A D60 Kit price is around $880 including the freebies, which i think is comparable to previous D40's price, so why not consider D60? D60 Dual Lens kit costs $1250 tho. side not: Nikon Lens have VR (which is similar to IS, just diff names).

    If you are into the tech stuffs, like in-bulit IS, AF, 9pt AF. Why not try Canon 400d, IMO the live view on 450d is not so useful otherwise the specs are similar and the price diff is big. Sony DSLRs are abit on the unpopular side because of their pricey lens compared to N and C?

    My Conclusion:
    Canon: Advanced Technology, built-in AF which allows more option of lens which are non AF
    Nikon: I like the cam's feel and user interface, but D60 and below need lens which has built-in AF.
    Sony: User-Friendly but pricey upgrading options.

    above are personal opinion, do correct me in anyway if im giving the wrong info.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    If you are into the tech stuffs, like in-bulit IS, AF, 9pt AF. Why not try Canon 400d, IMO the live view on 450d is not so useful otherwise the specs are similar and the price diff is big.
    The 400D does NOT have built-in IS.


    Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    Sony DSLRs are abit on the unpopular side because of their pricey lens compared to N and C?
    There are a lot of lenses on sale in the marketplace, and Sony can use all the old Minolta AF lenses too.

    Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    My Conclusion:
    Canon: Advanced Technology, built-in AF which allows more option of lens which are non AF
    Nope. Canon is not going to magically turn a non-AF lens into an AF lens.


    Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    Nikon: I like the cam's feel and user interface, but D60 and below need lens which has built-in AF.
    Sony: User-Friendly but pricey upgrading options.

    above are personal opinion, do correct me in anyway if im giving the wrong info.
    You were wrong on some of them.
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Is A200 have auto iso feature like the Nikon had?
    Because my previous D40 have it, and it's kind of cool feature
    that I just set the higher iso and set the lowest shutter speed
    and I'm ready to shoot without bother to change the iso everytime
    I wanna shot in different situation.

    In Indonesia you better buy D40 than D60 because the price gap is quite big.
    And I think D40 pic quality in high iso is better than D60 IMHO
    D40 kit = S$690
    D60 kit = S$890
    A200 kit = S$700

  6. #6
    Member Shin Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Eastern Region
    Posts
    1,063

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    The A200 does include Auto-ISO, which is quite useful when required.
    I've not tried D40 before but I think the specs are kinda old (No dust reduction system) & the camera grip is a bit small.
    A200 grip is much more comfortable, comes with the Dust reduction system & Super SteadyShot. Which means whatever Lens you mount will have Stablizer. Especially good if you use 3rd party Lens like Tamron.
    Sony comes with international warranty now for the DSLR Body & Lens, so if you wanna get more Lens. Buying from HK will be much cheaper than SG.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Howard View Post
    I've not tried D40 before but I think the specs are kinda old (No dust reduction system) & the camera grip is a bit small.
    A200 grip is much more comfortable, comes with the Dust reduction system & Super SteadyShot. Which means whatever Lens you mount will have Stablizer. Especially good if you use 3rd party Lens like Tamron.
    IMHO i think the dust-reduction system should not be a deciding factor. 'cause if you practice good lens changing techniques, you'll reduce the amount of dust on your sensor. even with dust-reduction, some dust will still accumulate. in-built VR/IS is useful though. I prefer Nikon over Sony because gear for it is more readily available. but Sony has excellent after sale service. like the sony alpha club.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    IMHO i think the dust-reduction system should not be a deciding factor. 'cause if you practice good lens changing techniques, you'll reduce the amount of dust on your sensor. even with dust-reduction, some dust will still accumulate. in-built VR/IS is useful though. I prefer Nikon over Sony because gear for it is more readily available. but Sony has excellent after sale service. like the sony alpha club.
    Actually, it's not very difficult to get gears for Sony as it's gaining on popularity. But rather the pricing is slightly more expensive locally, hence, most Alpha users would get their stuff overseas.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  9. #9

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Expensive... to get good Quality than it is fair right...
    Bravo SONY

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Actually, it's not very difficult to get gears for Sony as it's gaining on popularity. But rather the pricing is slightly more expensive locally, hence, most Alpha users would get their stuff overseas.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by kitty2 View Post
    Expensive... to get good Quality than it is fair right...
    Bravo SONY
    haha i'm a student working part-time, so while i understand that quality has to be paid for, i can't afford it. the more consumer brands (read: canon and nikon) generally have cheaper quality gear. or at least, thats how it seems to me

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    haha i'm a student working part-time, so while i understand that quality has to be paid for, i can't afford it. the more consumer brands (read: canon and nikon) generally have cheaper quality gear. or at least, thats how it seems to me
    are you sure? of cos if u are paying cheap, u can't expect professional quality items. and btw all of them, nikon, canon, olympus, sony, pentax, panasonic are consumer brand... its just that nikon and canon have been in the game for a much longer time than the others so they appear much more common to public.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 24th July 2008 at 05:25 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    are you sure? of cos if u are paying cheap, u can't expect professional quality items. and btw all of them, nikon, canon, olympus, sony, pentax, panasonic are consumer brand... its just that nikon and canon have been in the game for a much longer time than the others so they appear much more common to public.
    haha thats what i meant, its more "accessible". nah i don't mean paying cheap, i mean that little bit more i have to pay for sony gear is that little bit more painful on the wallet. i'm too lazy to explain too explicitly, but i see your point. rest assured i'm not a cheapo singaporean who expects the quality of a "L" lens for the price of a kit lens.

    really? nikon and canon have been in the game longer? i always thought that pentax and olympus (as well as fuji/fujifilm) were in just about as long. just that nikon and canon were more successful at appealing to the target market. (i'm asking, not being sarcastic, in case it came out that way )

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    haha thats what i meant, its more "accessible". nah i don't mean paying cheap, i mean that little bit more i have to pay for sony gear is that little bit more painful on the wallet. i'm too lazy to explain too explicitly, but i see your point. rest assured i'm not a cheapo singaporean who expects the quality of a "L" lens for the price of a kit lens.

    really? nikon and canon have been in the game longer? i always thought that pentax and olympus (as well as fuji/fujifilm) were in just about as long. just that nikon and canon were more successful at appealing to the target market. (i'm asking, not being sarcastic, in case it came out that way )
    they might have been in camera business for longer time, but not when it comes to dititalSLR.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    cant go wrong with sony A200.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Thank you all for your kind reply,

    I think I will consider to buy A200 as the technology seems more advance from D40.
    Once again Thanks a lot guys.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    between the d40 and a200 for the same price, i'd say get the a200. it has more features, and the argument about nikon gear being cheaper does not apply to the d40 well, since it requires af-s lenses and lenses with built-in focussing motors, which are more expensive.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by DiGdUb View Post
    between the d40 and a200 for the same price, i'd say get the a200. it has more features, and the argument about nikon gear being cheaper does not apply to the d40 well, since it requires af-s lenses and lenses with built-in focussing motors, which are more expensive.
    Plus, the D40 uses the old 6MP Sony sensor that hasn't even been made anymore in 1-2 years (which is why the D40X, using the Sony A100 sensor, was rushed out the door).
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony A200 ???

    i'm a bit surprise when someone ask this question... D40 or A200 for the same price...

    i think in all aspect A200 is so much better D40... unless its a D40x, D60 then is close to comparable... i guess the one thing i like abt sony its battery life.. seems quite enduring...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •