Thread: Night shots of the peak

Default Night shots of the peak

Took this in HK on the viewing tower of Victoria Peak. So just took a couple of shots of the city lights as it was the best place to capture this there.

Last edited by mys7ix; 24th July 2008 at 12:16 AM.

Default Re: Night shots of the peak

please read the guidelines in critique corner - there is no writeup, and you have put two pictures instead of one. please choose one.

also, can you please post a larger sized picture? thanks

Photos are a bit small, don't you think ? Maybe you could upload bigger photos.

sorry about the hiccups. changed the picture to a bigger size.

Typical snapshot, and the horizon is tilted. Nothing special, best to delete and try harder.
    Alpha

Question Re: Night shots of the peak

maybe cause i'm a noob but e pic looks nice to me, never mind sala angle & plain looking but wat setting u used? cause i'm going Hk end yr & want to capture e peak too.

took it at ISO1600, probably too high as you see it with the noise in the picture. Shutter speed was 1/5 at F4 i think. taken hand held without flash

You be better off with a tripod. High ISO gives noise and robs away details. Aperture at F4 is too large for landscapes. Usually use F8 - F11.

Anyway, tilt angle can be corrected. Your pic don't seem to have a central focus or subject. Also it's not wide enough to show much.
    The best things in life are free.

i hope that my other pictures in future will turn out better.

Here are my 2 cents.

The scene is certainly worth shooting and you now got more reasons to go back to take another pic of it

My suggestion is make use of a tripod to lower the ISO and therefore the noise and, of course, to get a sharper image. The upper half is overexposed, could use a bit of contrast and would probably look nicer had you lowered your lens to get less of the sky and more of the buildings in front. The buildings in front are probably mostly for business and so if you came earlier you'd maybe have more lit windows to show.

Seems your focus was more on the left or maybe your hand moved slightly. The buildings on the far left look sharper than those in the far right. If that's your focal point, you got it but people would wonder why when the upper center looks more interesting (at least, to me)?

Now about the camera used, you'd notice a slight left/right incline of the buildings from the center of picture. It's probably a "feature" of the camera but this is something that should be easy to fix in Photoshop.

There you go. Good effort but I'm sure we can come up with something better.

i'm still saving up for a tripod and also a flash. shot this with a 450d. thanks for the constructive comments, will try to improve on my techniques!

Hmm try F8-11 next time, F4 is too large for a landscape shot like this (which explains the softeness) , but then again u need a tripod to do that.

Get the tripod! its well worth the money!

Quote Originally Posted by mys7ix View Post
    i'm still saving up for a tripod and also a flash. shot this with a 450d. thanks for the constructive comments, will try to improve on my techniques!
    just in case u are mistaken, i think flash wun help in this case... a tripod will
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

strap ur cam, hold firmly & use self-timer, use a beanbag if a tripod is too big to lug along.

i used my wallet to as a wedge when i din have a tripod for framing a shot years back. luckily my wallet din freefall...

sorry to intrude, but what if this was shot at f/22? would it be better than shooting at f/8 and f/11?

Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    sorry to intrude, but what if this was shot at f/22? would it be better than shooting at f/8 and f/11?
    not too sure. if shooting digitally will depend on the sky there itself, & technical capability of cam (which includes noise reduction & image sensor bah).

Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    You would induce diffraction, especially on a 1.6x crop camera. I suggest you do a search on "diffraction in digital photography" on google, because I don't have the sufficient knowledge to tell you in detail what actually goes on.

In a nutshell, your image will have a loss in detail from diffraction, so the sweet spot for a 1.6x crop camera is really still f/8-f/11. f/16 is still passable.