Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portfolio Website ~ ^.^

Default Re: Portfolio Website ~ ^.^

Ahh, I'm glad you liked the images!

But yea I think I had better reorganize the website totally, or hire a designer to help me . I just realized the files load faster on my computer because everything's in the cache already. And all the scripting and linking can be so mindboggling.

Hope to post new work very soon ~
    Last edited by Br3ndan; 23rd July 2008 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Br3ndan View Post
    Ahh, I'm glad you liked the images!

But yea I think I had better reorganize the website totally, or hire a designer to help me . I just realized the files load faster on my computer because everything's in the cache already. And all the scripting and linking can be so mindboggling.

Hope to post new work very soon ~
    Fyi, there are some thoughts on showing your portfolio on the web:

1. Potential clients don't have time to wait. If they have 20 sites to go through, a slow site will tick them off.

2. Some of the top photographers ( http://www.alecsoth.com , http://www.jamesnachtwey.com ) are using non-flash sites and they have little or no scripts. They're almost pure HTML, something manageable by Dreamweaver alone. There's a reason for this, ultimately a web portfolio is about showing your images. Period. You have to keep that though in mind. Having a simple site makes it super easy to update your site periodically vs yearly.

3. So if a flash site cannot be kept simple, drop the idea. At best it's tolerable, at worst it'll be irritating.

It's not difficult to do a simple site, but it is not easy. Navigation, user interface and information architecture are complex things. There's no way to learn it overnight but by keeping it simple, you will avoid the more common pitfalls. In my honest opinion, it's better to get a "your site is simple and easy to navigate" rather than "the flash on your site is pretty but it slows down the site".

You have to keep the viewer in mind, put yourself in the viewer's shoes. If you can't, ask seasoned designer friends to view your site and get their response.

The Zohan.
    Last edited by Zohan; 23rd July 2008 at 03:40 PM.

U go Brendan....Lahuuuu here !!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12