Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do you remember aperture sizes?

Default Re: Sorry I mean remember F numbers rather than actual size in mm

i
    Quote Originally Posted by simonwoo View Post
    Hi guys,

Actually I tried to clarify this somewhere in the middle of the thread but I think it goes lost in translation somehow I wasn't really asking for the exact measurement in mm but when I said how do you remember the sizes, it was mainly because the standard measurement is in a 1/f fraction so it makes it very hard for a newbie to remember as compared to if it was just in decimal points and not an inverse relation. When I talked about remembering, it was also like I said, when you try to take a shot on the spot now, how do you roughly know what aperture size to set as a starting pointing before you fine-tune it. And I think I got the best answer with the sunny-16 rule. In that, that will be the basic guideline I'm going to follow and I guess I already have a good starting point from there. And I can remember now, I will basically work with the four estimates - f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16 for deeply overcast, overcast, slightly overcast and sunny respectively.

As a newbie, I think I've already achieved a lot in the past few days to be able to write this, so thanks for all your help! Without all you helpful contributions and reminders, I'd probably still be clueless how to play around with aperture settings! But not anymore you see! So thank you very much!
    I think after all this, u still got no idea what we are trying to say or even u urself got lost by ur words. 1, there is no way u can appoint decimal as aperture without using the formula of f/ or measuring the physical size. if u wan decide, go ahead and remember
    f1 = 1, f1.2 = 0.8333, f1.4 = 0.714... so on and so far, try remembering from f1 all the way to f32... another alternative would be to remember the physical size, and most of us have stated in previous post, it is impossible as different focal length have different aperture size even if both are at f2.8.

for the blue parts, there is no way, it depends purely on the effects u want, and if there is a way, it is impossible except for the world "brainest" guy, the combination of different focal length, focusing distance, aperture can easily result in over millions of combination.

eg. a 50mm lens at f1.4 give xxx DOF(area in focus) when the user is 1metre away, but it will change to yyy DOF when the guy just take a step further or away from the subject.

if u think it is complicated, im sorry but photography is not for u. just get urself a PnS and leave all setting to the camera.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 25th July 2008 at 06:58 PM.

Default Re: How do you remember aperture sizes?

Modern lenses use a standard f-stop scale, which is an approximately geometric sequence of numbers that corresponds to the sequence of the powers of √2 (1.414): f/1, f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, f/32, f/45, f/64, f/90, f/128, etc. The values of the ratios are rounded off to these particular conventional numbers, to make them easy to remember and write down.

Hi guys,

Actually I tried to clarify this somewhere in the middle of the thread but I think it goes lost in translation somehow I wasn't really asking for the exact measurement in mm but when I said how do you remember the sizes, it was mainly because the standard measurement is in a 1/f fraction so it makes it very hard for a newbie to remember as compared to if it was just in decimal points and not an inverse relation. When I talked about remembering, it was also like I said, when you try to take a shot on the spot now, how do you roughly know what aperture size to set as a starting pointing before you fine-tune it. And I think I got the best answer with the sunny-16 rule. In that, that will be the basic guideline I'm going to follow and I guess I already have a good starting point from there. And I can remember now, I will basically work with the four estimates - f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16 for deeply overcast, overcast, slightly overcast and sunny respectively.

As a newbie, I think I've already achieved a lot in the past few days to be able to write this, so thanks for all your help! Without all you helpful contributions and reminders, I'd probably still be clueless how to play around with aperture settings! But not anymore you see! So thank you very much!
    This all have to co-relate to the ISO speed and shutter speed....

You need to understand how they work together and affect each other...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

What the hell are you talking about and who the hell do you think you are? The sunny-16 rule already gives the guideline which is what I was exactly looking for as a starting point. And if you have at least half of my intelligence, you would get the message by now that I am not interested in the exact metric size of the aperture at all! Geez, how many times do I have to repeat myself before dimwits like you get it in your head?

If you want to openly insult my intelligence, then be prepared to defend yours. I will take you on anytime, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    i
    I think after all this, u still got no idea what we are trying to say or even u urself got lost by ur words. 1, there is no way u can appoint decimal as aperture without using the formula of f/ or measuring the physical size. if u wan decide, go ahead and remember
    f1 = 1, f1.2 = 0.8333, f1.4 = 0.714... so on and so far, try remembering from f1 all the way to f32... another alternative would be to remember the physical size, and most of us have stated in previous post, it is impossible as different focal length have different aperture size even if both are at f2.8.

for the blue parts, there is no way, it depends purely on the effects u want, and if there is a way, it is impossible except for the world "brainest" guy, the combination of different focal length, focusing distance, aperture can easily result in over millions of combination.

eg. a 50mm lens at f1.4 give xxx DOF(area in focus) when the user is 1metre away, but it will change to yyy DOF when the guy just take a step further or away from the subject.

if u think it is complicated, im sorry but photography is not for u. just get urself a PnS and leave all setting to the camera.

What the hell are you talking about and who the hell do you think you are? The sunny-16 rule already gives the guideline which is what I was exactly looking for as a starting point. And if you have at least half of my intelligence, you would get the message by now that I am not interested in the exact metric size of the aperture at all! Geez, how many times do I have to repeat myself before dimwits like you get it in your head?

If you want to openly insult my intelligence, then be prepared to defend yours. I will take you on anytime, friend.
    by all mean use ur sunny-16 rule, and the next thing u be asking is why do some ppl able to achieve certain effect which u can't.

i rest my case.

Get out of this thread bro if you are not here to help. I am asking for the starting guideline, which I have found in the sunny-16 rule.

Oh please, don't rest your case. If you want to have a battle of intelligence, I will take you on. How old are you by the way? You better not be some young punk who is just all talk and no action. PM me and we can take it offline. You are one arrogant prick and I would love to put you in your right place.

Get out of this thread bro if you are not here to help. I am asking for the starting guideline, which I have found in the sunny-16 rule.

Oh please, don't rest your case. If you want to have a battle of intelligence, I will take you on. How old are you by the way? You better not be some young punk who is just all talk and no action. PM me and we can take it offline. You are one arrogant prick and I would love to put you in your right place.
    Woh woh woh. We got a live one here. I really did not not want to get involved, but how can I resist.

Who the hell we think we are? We are a bunch of fairly friendly (not me) CS members who tried to help you, but you were so dense you refuse to listen. We are long time members here in CS, who had seen more than our fair share of ungrateful newbies rumbling through our forum. You are just another one of them.

I will take you on anytime, friend. Well, friends will not utter such insulting words!!!

Sunny-16 rule. It's a long ago rule, it still works some of the time. Go ahead, use the rule, and be gone. This is the guideline you want, and you got it. Be gone. Since we are arrogant pricks, why are you here? We on CS will not miss you.

We, the members here on CS, may not have half the intelligence you process, but we are 1000 times better photographer you are now. Happy!!!

To the mods. Someone has to do this.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Default Re: How do you remember aperture sizes?

With an attitude like this you will find yourself overstaying your welcome faster than you can say 'f/16'.

I suggest you read the guidelines of CS before you make any other posts. If you cannot adhere, specifically the part on "Be nice and civil" then please consider joining another forum.

If you feel the sunny 16 rule is the answer you are looking for, then good for you. I am closing this thread before turns into a flame war.

This is a friendly but stern reminder to you to keep your ego in check. I am not issuing any infraction points but if you continue this kind of posting method then I will do what it takes to help everyone out.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234