Thread: .NEF

Default .NEF

I only just shot in RAW format recently, and when i tried to open my raw file which is of .NEF format in Adobe Photoshop, a pop up says "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" but when u go to File and Open then under Files of Type, Camera Raw .NEF is one of the formats.

am i doing something wrong along the way?

Not sure if i shld post this here or under Newbie corner! haha, Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by deklan; 21st July 2008 at 05:53 PM.

Default Re: .NEF

NEF refers to Nikon Electronic Format, peculiar to Nikon DSLR camera. To use on Photoshop, there are two ways to go about it

Method 1 : Install free Adobe Camera Raw (or sometime known as ACR) to allow conversion of NEF format to format that can be handled by Adobe Photoshop

Method 2 : Install free Nikon ViewNX to convert the NEF to TIFF format before the TIFF file to Photoshop for further processing

Recently got a D300 n realised the photos cant be opened.

hmm... it seems like i can't use bridge or PS to open my NEF files although i've updated my adobe softwares n ACR plugin to 4.4.1 which is the latest.

However Nx can open... hmm... any idea where else went wrong?

there is no installation right? i dl from the adobe website its just like a exe file. i open then it just opens PS CS3 then nth else happens? but i checked under PS CS3 the plug in is V4.00 already.

Quote Originally Posted by windforce View Post
    Recently got a D300 n realised the photos cant be opened.

hmm... it seems like i can't use bridge or PS to open my NEF files although i've updated my adobe softwares n ACR plugin to 4.4.1 which is the latest.

However Nx can open... hmm... any idea where else went wrong?

there is no installation right? i dl from the adobe website its just like a exe file. i open then it just opens PS CS3 then nth else happens? but i checked under PS CS3 the plug in is V4.00 already.
    if you already updated, it should be V4.4.1 and not V4.00

Quote Originally Posted by splim View Post
    if you already updated, it should be V4.4.1 and not V4.00
    Windows®

1. Exit Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge.
    2. Open My Computer.
    3. Double-click Local Disk (C.
    4. Navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats.
    5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
    6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
    7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.

I lose haha...

but yet another issue now... i can always use Ctrl R to bring out the ACR option in bridge itself but now with the D300 photos i can't bring that screen out but my old photos shoot in D70 can be edited in ACR within bridge? any ideas y so?

thanks

I hit the similar problem before after installing photoshop cs3.

Try download the correct raw plugin for photoshop. Different version support different camera models. Basically, it is just finding the right raw plugin.