Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Quarter Face

  1. #1

    Default Quarter Face




    Model: NIKON D50
    ISO: 800
    Exposure: 1/4 sec
    Aperture: f/2.5
    Focal Length: 50mm

    My Questions: Feel free to comment and critic.

    - Does quarter face shot or half shots considered portrait shots?
    - Is the vantage point agreeable since I took only a quarter face of the model?
    - Does the 2 blurred black color and passing people on the background distracting?
    - Improvement or suggestion to make the picture better?

    Your Answers:

  2. #2

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Sorry brader, I may not have answers, but more questions;

    - why half shots when full could be better?
    - you may have got the DOF well, but the blurred background may not compliment / relate to her expression
    - Do i see more warm colours?
    - whats the story behind this shot?
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  3. #3

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    Sorry brader, I may not have answers, but more questions;

    - why half shots when full could be better?
    - you may have got the DOF well, but the blurred background may not compliment / relate to her expression
    - Do i see more warm colours?
    - whats the story behind this shot?
    My intention was to get either half or quarter face shots. I could do the portrait yet I had posted my questions earlier if the shot taken could be considered as portrait.

    I Intended it to be warm since the skin tone of the model is kinda pale hence I had set WB to sunny mode and also the lighting on the place added to the warm colors of the picture.

    The thing with the background not complimenting the model is that this shot was a candid one and we really don't have any control particularly people passing by. But I see that the background is distracting the picture (2 black blurred shapes).

    Any PS tips on how to make the 2 blurred black shapes go away or make it to another color to compliment the picture?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    the spoted light between the 2 men are the only distracted spot ,the themes and your pic overall Good .

  5. #5

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    I think it's a good concept for this! But if you wanted her face to be the main focus, then why are her eyes blur/not sharp? Shooting with a prime should give you a decent IQ. Maybe you should have shot wide open. a 1/4 would have most likely be the cause of the slightly blur image

  6. #6

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloSeattle View Post
    I think it's a good concept for this! But if you wanted her face to be the main focus, then why are her eyes blur/not sharp? Shooting with a prime should give you a decent IQ. Maybe you should have shot wide open. a 1/4 would have most likely be the cause of the slightly blur image
    Yes, its kinda blur particularly the eyes for I was taking candid shots. I just noticed the pictures after loading to the computer yet on the Nikon D50 lcd is kinda sharp.

    Could some unsharp mask or burning needed on the eye via PS would do the trick? Any thoughts on this?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Just do it one more, but focus correctly on her eyes...then post it again.. try your best first before u ask ppl...if this is a snapshot..then no problem with technical thing, the point is recording someone face..
    It's just a matter of taste with passion...just watch and learn...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    1stly brader; apologise for my naive questions; am still learning here, just like you.

    Quote Originally Posted by brianop87 View Post
    Just do it one more, but focus correctly on her eyes...then post it again.. try your best first before u ask ppl...if this is a snapshot..then no problem with technical thing, the point is recording someone face..
    2ndly - This quote had best described my thoughts; cos I've been pleasantly reminded similarly by friends around too. It may always be our best shot; until we ask someone else. If its a snapshot candid, so it will be, all may be excused. But if its intended candid, I've been advised to be certain of what I'm doing which would produce the best, a quality above from any snapshot.

    Thank you for sharing your piece here
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  9. #9

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    you done it right ,under that lighting condition how the eyes get sharp ?

    sometime photos dont have to be sharp or blablabla to call it good .

    overall is good themes .

  10. #10

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    I suggest a tighter crop to exclude the distractions in the background.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    1stly brader; apologise for my naive questions; am still learning here, just like you.



    2ndly - This quote had best described my thoughts; cos I've been pleasantly reminded similarly by friends around too. It may always be our best shot; until we ask someone else. If its a snapshot candid, so it will be, all may be excused. But if its intended candid, I've been advised to be certain of what I'm doing which would produce the best, a quality above from any snapshot.

    Thank you for sharing your piece here
    Nice point raise here, but then again whether its an intended or accidental snapshot a picture is still a picture. Generally speaking, sometimes the snapshots we take end up great pictures. Anyway, point taken and noted.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Quote Originally Posted by mccm33 View Post
    you done it right ,under that lighting condition how the eyes get sharp ?

    sometime photos dont have to be sharp or blablabla to call it good .

    overall is good themes .
    I do agree, sometimes photos need not be sharp. Noted on that and thanks

  13. #13

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Does quarter face shot or half shots considered portrait shots?

    I'm still looking for an answer for this question. Any thoughts? point of view?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Why not? It depends on what is your defination.

    Compositional wise, I think the defocused bright lights in the background weighs equal emphasis to the face so from a viewer point of view, I don't know which one to focus my attention on. Some might see and get distracted by the background first...
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    My 2 cents.

    I agree with most of the comments. The background is quite distracting. Notice the bright white circles on the left? Those for sure easily distracts the eyes from your subject.

    Sharpness depends really on the photographer. If you'd rather have it soft, then why not? To me, it's actually sharp but not sharp as tack as many other people would prefer.

    Does a quarter or half face make a portrait? I'd think so (click here for Wiki's definition.) When a person looks halfway you'd still be showing a portion of his/her face or his profile (for full sideways.)

    Thing is, I'd ask myself if that lady you shot looks attractive, interesting, her facial expression suggesting something? Like maybe she's upset or challenging you? Her look is not really relaxed nor feminine. The position of the hands are not very attractive for the shape of the bones in her hands and joint ruined for me this otherwise nice image. Her pout somewhat distorted her cheek a bit and made her jaw squar(er), which maybe good for male subjects.

    Oh well... sorry but it doesn't really make for me but you're well on your way. Keep shooting!
    Last edited by gpjuson; 26th July 2008 at 12:51 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Quarter Face

    Quote Originally Posted by gpjuson View Post
    My 2 cents.

    I agree with most of the comments. The background is quite distracting. Notice the bright white circles on the left? Those for sure easily distracts the eyes from your subject.

    Sharpness depends really on the photographer. If you'd rather have it soft, then why not? To me, it's actually sharp but not sharp as tack as many other people would prefer.

    Does a quarter or half face make a portrait? I'd think so (click here for Wiki's definition.) When a person looks halfway you'd still be showing a portion of his/her face or his profile (for full sideways.)

    Thing is, I'd ask myself if that lady you shot looks attractive, interesting, her facial expression suggesting something? Like maybe she's upset or challenging you? Her look is not really relaxed nor feminine. The position of the hands are not very attractive for the shape of the bones in her hands and joint ruined for me this otherwise nice image. Her pout somewhat distorted her cheek a bit and made her jaw squar(er), which maybe good for male subjects.

    Oh well... sorry but it doesn't really make for me but you're well on your way. Keep shooting!
    thanks for the comments and suggestion and really appreciate all your inputs.
    Finally, answer on my question. Cheers! and keep those shutter burst!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •