Thread: Exposure reading

Default Exposure reading

Hi guys, just want to ask how do you all actually take readings from the exposure meter?

If using M, if i set either of the settings and i point it somewhere else, it will give me a different reading from point to point.

How can i know that i am having a correct exposure that i want?

And in a indoor area (eg. cafe), despite using in build flash, photos will still get blur due to low shutter speed?

How do i increase the brightness of the background? (meter the bg?)....

If i have a really low shutter speed and my aperture is wide open already, do i really have no choice but to increase my ISO despite the noise level is going to be high?

Pls advice...

Talking Re: Exposure reading

Quote Originally Posted by rongwei82 View Post
    Hi guys, just want to ask how do you all actually take readings from the exposure meter?

If using M, if i set either of the settings and i point it somewhere else, it will give me a different reading from point to point.

from wat i tried, if it's M, then exposure value/meter
    will auto adjust as u move it around.

And in a indoor area (eg. cafe), despite using in build flash, photos will still get blur due to low shutter speed?
    slower shutter speed = longer exposure time = higher chances
    of hand shaking, try using tripod.

eh this one i also not sure, depends on how dark yr background
    bah, if coffee bean vs pub, then it's toally different i guess.

If i have a really low shutter speed and my aperture is wide open already, do i really have no choice but to increase my ISO despite the noise level is going to be high?
    how high u going to go? btw, i also newbie just sharing wat
    i read, so dun blame me hor.

Pls advice...
    eh see answer above.

Default Re: Exposure reading

Quote Originally Posted by rongwei82 View Post

Pls advice...
    - To get correct exposure, make sure the meter reading is centered, as in not in the negative or positive region
    - Your meter will give you different readings because different objects reflect different amount of light, for eg. white reflects more light than black objects
    - Use your histogram to check if your exposure is correct
    - You have to tell me what is your shuttle speed. Taking pics in dim places is not easy, i usually open my aperture wide and increase my ISO
    - You can meter the background but you will have to change your meter setting to spot metering first, most DSLR by default meters the entire frame or simply just trial and error at different settings.
    - You can use a tripod or do interesting things to change the way noisy images look, for eg. panning shots or convert to black and white.