Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advantage of Full Frame Sensor

Default Re: Advantage of Full Frame Sensor

After reading all the posts above, the advantages of a fullframe sensor:

1. It is fullframe.
    2. It is good.
    3. Makes your friends jealous.
    4. You can now shoot your cat/dog at thin DOF.
    5. It will magically turn your lenses into something else.
    6. It is something that nobody needs because Olympus said so by releasing another format.
    7. It will turn you into a brand conscious snob.
    8. Where are the advantages???
    9. Still looking...
    10. Ahh just buy it anyway.

LOL!!! But seriously TS, what gives you the impression that using a fullframe camera has any advantages over a crop camera/four thirds? Even if there was any, what will the advantages do to help you anyway?

You don't actually need to read a thesis to explain the advantages. You just need to see the price tag and test the camera out. If you like it, go buy it. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post

1. It is fullframe.
    2. It is good.
    6. It is something that nobody needs because Olympus said so by releasing another format.
    9. Still looking...

LOL!!! But seriously TS, what gives you the impression that using a fullframe camera has any advantages over a crop camera/four thirds? Even if there was any, what will the advantages do to help you anyway?

You don't actually need to read a thesis to explain the advantages. You just need to see the price tag and test the camera out. If you like it, go buy it. Simple as that.
    One distinct advantage is it gives you a reason to buy better lenses because the corner performance of your existing lenses cannot make it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt11137 View Post
    What are the advantages of a FF cmos sensor let say compare to a 1.5x crop ccd sensor, other than giving new life to old lense. Does it produce more sharp picture quality for normal printing, let say at max A4 size. Please enlighten me, as i am planning to upgarde my Nikon D70s in near future.
    See this thread.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392325

A short answer to your question is, yes it gives sharper pictures... only if you use good lenses which are designed for digital. Certain film FF lenses may no longer be adequate to achieve sharp and vignette free corners.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    One distinct advantage is it gives you a reason to buy better lenses because the corner performance of your existing lenses cannot make it anymore.
    That sounds more like a disadvantage to me. Have you been sniffing glue lately? LOL!

How can you forget the most basic and important advantage of the 35mm format over the so called "cropped format" camera ???

Buy buying into one, it leaves the buyer without any further excuses of producing "bad" photographs ...

Having said that, who cares about vignetting, light fall offs in the corner, less resolving power vs current top DX, etc ... when the price is right (it never was),

I will still bite the bullet!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post

1. It is fullframe.
    2. It is good.
    9. Still looking...

Last edited by yyD70S; 22nd July 2008 at 05:21 PM.

Ok, if you insist... I'll add them to my list of advantages. Canon should be reading this. It took me a lot of effort to come up with this.

Latest updated information!

1. It is fullframe.
    2. It is good.
    9. Still looking...
    11. No excuse to shoot properly.
    12. You will bite the bullet then later see the dentist.

This is getting somewhere at last!

After reading through this tread and other similar treads within Clubsnap, here is my input:

We are talking about a very fundamental problem of better but more expensive camera VS a slight lower tier but more affordable camera.
    Let me ask any of you out there, does a cheaper camera make you look or feel and (most importantly) think least like a photographer?

As a matter of fact, consumer DSLRs are already expensive with the photographer having to invest heavily on his/her arsenal of lens. FF DSLRs would require even more finances to purchase even more expensive lens (since you could afford the body, you should be prepared to spend more for lens.) But would that be necessary?

Then again what basis are discussing this topic? Are we talking on a average hobbyist or a professional photographer which relies on the works he/she produce to feed him/herself?
    A perfect photo that is empty of any feeling will never equal a blurred photo full of emotion

I always wonder why advantages of FF are always put forth, but disadvantages are usually not mentioned. LOL.

1) Heavy bodies and lenses.
    2) Too shallow DOF at times.
    3) No crop factor for long lenses. (200mm will be 200mm)
    4) Expensive bodies. (For now.)

Did I miss any?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmaeda View Post
    After reading through this tread and other similar treads within Clubsnap, here is my input:

We are talking about a very fundamental problem of better but more expensive camera VS a slight lower tier but more affordable camera.
    Let me ask any of you out there, does a cheaper camera make you look or feel and (most importantly) think least like a photographer?

As a matter of fact, consumer DSLRs are already expensive with the photographer having to invest heavily on his/her arsenal of lens. FF DSLRs would require even more finances to purchase even more expensive lens (since you could afford the body, you should be prepared to spend more for lens.) But would that be necessary?

Then again what basis are discussing this topic? Are we talking on a average hobbyist or a professional photographer which relies on the works he/she produce to feed him/herself?
    The very fundamental of this conversation is to make dollars and cents out of a very expensive camera that takes pictures just like another camera. It has been a very difficult task (while at times it can be amusing) to correlate the similarities of noise signals patterns with a person's ego. A recent study proves that no camera is fullframe and DOF is not measured by taking a picture. While the lens and camera is perfect, the user is not. Hope that brings you abreast with the topic.

How can you miss the most important point??

1) Heavy bodies and lenses.
    2) Too shallow DOF at times.
    3) No crop factor for long lenses. (200mm will be 200mm)
    4) Expensive bodies. (For now.)
    5) No excuse of producing bad photographs.

this is like comparing the advantages of shooting medium format camera to a 35 format camera during the film days.

advantage of Full Frame Sensor camera? yes there are, but not for everyone, like what ortega said... to him is a "want", not a "need".

it will have better images quality for sure, but also....
    it will cost more,
    it will weight more,
    need to buy better new lens specially design for full frame sensor camera.

so do you still really "need"?? or you really "want"?? only you have the answer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I want and need leh, how?

Quote Originally Posted by twnll View Post
    if you want and need then no need to ask already right?...

1000D price with FF sensor!

Not possible within the near future at least.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

that's simple, just need to go and find the money for it lor.

even it is possible, everything it is still the same..

if a low end camera with FF sensor is available, but many people will still keep eying on to own a high end FF sensor camera.

no all people will be contented for what his already has, even he has what he really needs.

Now i know why some photograher have so many type and brand of body and lense, alway wanted to be at the front end.

Hmm full frame take a better picture? I think thats photographer related issue lol.

This subject has been like revisted countless of times since the existence of FF and Crop DSLR. There are pros and cons to it and different people will have different use for them. FF cost more, weighs more, produce pictures with less noise due to bigger sensor area and can use less lens. Their build and everything depends on the grade and 5D is almost the same as XXD series if we talk about build. So in this case is full frame justified? Do you need full frame? Of course if you have tons of money why not but if you have to bite the bullet and see a dentist later, I wonder if thats worth.

I dont mind not getting a FF, I just want 45 AF points on my 40D! Drools at D300.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast