Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: fa50 or da40?

  1. #1

    Default fa50 or da40?

    Hi all,
    just for reference, which of the following would u recommend as a walkabout prime lense?
    The FA 50mm f1.4
    or
    DA 40mm f2.8 limited

    btw, i alrdy got the fa50 f1.4....
    just tt LBA has gotten over me.. and now yearning for the da limited...
    would the da40 would actually be enough stand in for my fa50 as a walkabout prime?

  2. #2

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Hi,
    Think angle of view for the FA50 and DA40 won't be that much diffirent to justify having both. The DA21 mm ltd is probably a better choice. If you already have that and the FA50, then I'd say, get over your LBA and save some money ;-)

  3. #3

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Just an additional thought in case what you are looking for is something closer to a 50mm equivalent field of view. If so, the DA35mm macro may be what you want. Just read a remark by Mike Johnston at Photo.net hinting that this lens could be one of the greatest lens he has ever used (See here last para of the article: http://photo.net/columns/mjohnston/m...l-photography/

  4. #4
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    I mostly use da40 cos its cooler and slimer. Ha. But getting the Da limiteds is addictive. Once you get the 2nd, u would want to complete the series.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  5. #5

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by tyzts View Post
    Hi,
    Think angle of view for the FA50 and DA40 won't be that much diffirent to justify having both. The DA21 mm ltd is probably a better choice. If you already have that and the FA50, then I'd say, get over your LBA and save some money ;-)
    Hi, thanks for the respond... yeah.. i understand that both the FA50 and DA40 are rather close in focal range... I was just thinking... if you have to bring 1 of it out for a travelling trip, which will you... Nevertheless the DA21mm ltd is indeed a good lense

    Quote Originally Posted by tyzts View Post
    Just an additional thought in case what you are looking for is something closer to a 50mm equivalent field of view. If so, the DA35mm macro may be what you want. Just read a remark by Mike Johnston at Photo.net hinting that this lens could be one of the greatest lens he has ever used (See here last para of the article: http://photo.net/columns/mjohnston/m...l-photography/
    Thanks... Tt a cool write up... Haven got a chance to try out the DA35 macro yet... thanks for the recommendation....

  6. #6

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    I mostly use da40 cos its cooler and slimer. Ha. But getting the Da limiteds is addictive. Once you get the 2nd, u would want to complete the series.
    Haha.... the reason the da40 attracted is me is the slimness of it... really reduces those weight on your neck especially when doing walkabout shoots and yeah, having one or 2 of the ltd series lense.. feels kinda....erm... incomplete...

  7. #7
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    I went through the same phase a few days ago.. have an FA50 but there's an itching to consider a DA40. It just isn't right to get a Pentax without trying out any of the pancakes I think.

    But I'm gonna save the $400 for another lens.. The DA40 is too close in terms of focal length and the FA50 is light enough for walkabout use. The wider DA21 will probably be more useful for general street snapshots and as a party lens (where it will definitely attract many Oohs and Aahs), and that may be my first Ltd I get.

  8. #8

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    In the short time I had the DS to use with the DA35, I can vouch that the DA35 is the one lens you should have if you need a one prime lens solution for use on Pentax cameras.

  9. #9

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    hmm... guess i shall stick with the FA50 for now.... and like most bro said.. get a prime of different focal range...
    Just a question, if you really have to choose between a FA50 and a DA40.... which 1 will u keep?
    Thanks for the kind comments so far...

  10. #10
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Tough call there.

  11. #11

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    The FA50 for the DOF. If you compare the shotest focussing distance of the FA50 with the FA77, the FA50 has a shorter focussing distance. When you use these two lenses at the shortest focussing distance, the result will be similar i.e. head and shoulders. I have also reads some where that the DA50 has the same lens fourmula as the FA77, can someone confirm this?

  12. #12

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    I second the recommendation on the 21mm.
    if its a walkabout lens, the 21mm is more usable. For the 40mm and 50mm, it tends to be a little too narrow and you need to stand further back for shots. But I do find the 40mm a tad sharper than the 21mm, but that's because the 21mm is a wide angle lens.
    I hardly use my 50 f/1.4 these days but keep it as my "fast" lens.
    If you can, get the entire DA range. In the past 2 months, I've added the 21, 40 and 70mm.
    You could do better with the FA Limited but they are bigger, more expensive and as a beginner , you will not be a able to tell the difference. The pancakes are a joy to use because of their small size too. Makes your DSLR feel like a P&S but gives prime lens quality images.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

  13. #13
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    I second the recommendation on the 21mm.
    if its a walkabout lens, the 21mm is more usable. For the 40mm and 50mm, it tends to be a little too narrow and you need to stand further back for shots. But I do find the 40mm a tad sharper than the 21mm, but that's because the 21mm is a wide angle lens.
    I hardly use my 50 f/1.4 these days but keep it as my "fast" lens.
    If you can, get the entire DA range. In the past 2 months, I've added the 21, 40 and 70mm.
    You could do better with the FA Limited but they are bigger, more expensive and as a beginner , you will not be a able to tell the difference. The pancakes are a joy to use because of their small size too. Makes your DSLR feel like a P&S but gives prime lens quality images.
    Yes, DA limiteds are extremely addictive. I has gotten a da21 three days ago to add on to my da40 (yes, somehow I din't get my fa77) and I should be getting the da70 very soon if thgs goes as planned. You really get the kind of "my precious..." feeling with these sexy cuties...
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  14. #14
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by souloner View Post
    hmm... guess i shall stick with the FA50 for now.... and like most bro said.. get a prime of different focal range...
    Just a question, if you really have to choose between a FA50 and a DA40.... which 1 will u keep?
    Thanks for the kind comments so far...
    I would definitely keep both. Cos they are relatively low priced and it doesn't really make sense to sell them to recoup that few hundred of dollars. It's the 掌心是肉,掌背也是肉 logic. No way am I going to kill either one. Ok, ok, I'll keep the da40. d:

    To share an incident, I was shooting with my da40 today and a colleague of mine from another camp was really fascinated with the lens due to its size and built quality. But they can never have it. So, Pentaxians, please collect your pancakes. Only you have the privilege!
    Last edited by scorpioh; 20th July 2008 at 07:29 AM.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  15. #15

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Thanks to Feng Wei, I completed my "basic" DA Limited Collection (21mm, 40mm and 70mm). Do not intend to get the 35mm to complete the set because its so close to the 40mm and I don't need macro presently. But the new wide angle rumoured to be coming, I will think about it especially since night86mare has done so many good things with wide angles..
    But if you have not gotten it yet, I will recommend the 21, 35 and 70 as a set so you have macro covered. The extra 5mm for the 35mm should be good too!

    But in answer to souloner's question, if you had to choose between the 40mm and 50mm, take the 40mm. Its a pancake, so light, so sharp and so cool to look at! The f/1.4 may be faster but only applies to lower light situation. The wider angle will always be more useful if you intend it to be a walkabout lens.


    Scorpioh : Since a few months ago, Olympus also introduced a 28mm pancake prime also. Around $300 brand new only! Quality is as per prime performance but as far as I can see, nowhere near the DA series.
    Presumably because it is a kit lens for the Oympus 420. And the x2 factor is not helping too because it equivalent to a 56mm lens. I used it a few times during an office function and found it too narrow. I kept on having to stand very fall back to capture group photos! So in terms of performance, the DA pancakes are safe for now...
    Last edited by airconvent; 20th July 2008 at 02:12 PM.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

  16. #16
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Thanks to Feng Wei, I completed my "basic" DA Limited Collection (21mm, 40mm and 70mm). Do not intend to get the 35mm to complete the set because its so close to the 40mm and I don't need macro presently. But the new wide angle rumoured to be coming, I will think about it especially since night86mare has done so many good things with wide angles..
    But if you have not gotten it yet, I will recommend the 21, 35 and 70 as a set so you have macro covered. The extra 5mm for the 35mm should be good too!

    But in answer to souloner's question, if you had to choose between the 40mm and 50mm, take the 40mm. Its a pancake, so light, so sharp and so cool to look at! The f/1.4 may be faster but only applies to lower light situation. The wider angle will always be more useful if you intend it to be a walkabout lens.


    Scorpioh : Since a few months ago, Olympus also introduced a 28mm pancake prime also. Around $300 brand new only! Quality is as per prime performance but as far as I can see, nowhere near the DA series.
    Presumably because it is a kit lens for the Oympus 420. And the x2 factor is not helping too because it equivalent to a 56mm lens. I used it a few times during an office function and found it too narrow. I kept on having to stand very fall back to capture group photos! So in terms of performance, the DA pancakes are safe for now...
    Oops, my bad. Missed the Olyumpus 28. Was thking along the C&N Camp. Even if other camps do offer Pancakes, I still think the design of the Pentax DAs are second to none. My colleague was asking me what's the green ring for. I said it's just a design, but on second thots, I should have said its the red ring equivalent on Canon L Lenses. And yeah, I just got my da70 today to complete the 21, 40 and 70 trio!!!
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  17. #17

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    But in answer to souloner's question, if you had to choose between the 40mm and 50mm, take the 40mm. Its a pancake, so light, so sharp and so cool to look at! The f/1.4 may be faster but only applies to lower light situation. The wider angle will always be more useful if you intend it to be a walkabout lens.
    Just to offer a contrarian view here

    You can also consider going 21, 50, 70, which is what I have.

    The 50 f1.4 is simply superb for low light conditions, which is the main reason I'll rather keep it than go for the 40 to complete my set. Also, the DA Ltd is rather slow as a whole for primes.

    Or get both!

    Or go this route: 21, 35, 50, 70.. nice spread of lengths. (I'm considering the 35, to cover the 21-50 gap and get the 35 x 1.5 = about 50mm standard pov.)
    Last edited by le petit prince; 20th July 2008 at 10:52 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Oops, my bad. Missed the Olyumpus 28. Was thking along the C&N Camp. Even if other camps do offer Pancakes, I still think the design of the Pentax DAs are second to none. My colleague was asking me what's the green ring for. I said it's just a design, but on second thots, I should have said its the red ring equivalent on Canon L Lenses. And yeah, I just got my da70 today to complete the 21, 40 and 70 trio!!!
    While Pentax has probably the widest range of pancake lenses in current production, there are pancake lenses from other makes that are just as good if not better than the original Pentax DA & M 40mm pancakes.

    Three that come to mind are the Contax Tessar T* 45mm f2.8, Nikon 45mm f/2.8 P, Konica 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon. I have used the Nikon and the Konica in the past and they easily outperform the current DA 40mm hands down. The Voigtlander 40mm f/2 SL II is also a strong contender optically. Even Minolta had a pancake lens in the form of the Rokkor 45mm f/2 MD.

    Just to put things in perspective that pancakes aren't a new thing or unique only to Pentax. All pancakes follow the Tessar lens design where there is even center and edge performance at the expense of a large max aperture.
    Last edited by creampuff; 20th July 2008 at 11:16 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    And yeah, I just got my da70 today to complete the 21, 40 and 70 trio!!!
    Haha….welcome to the Club! :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by le petit prince View Post
    Just to offer a contrarian view here

    You can also consider going 21, 50, 70, which is what I have.

    The 50 f1.4 is simply superb for low light conditions, which is the main reason I'll rather keep it than go for the 40 to complete my set. Also, the DA Ltd is rather slow as a whole for primes.

    Or get both!

    Or go this route: 21, 35, 50, 70.. nice spread of lengths. (I'm considering the 35, to cover the 21-50 gap and get the 35 x 1.5 = about 50mm standard pov.)
    I have the 50mm too. Have to agree if you want to keep the 50mm, the 35mm makes more sense but its not as thin or sexy as the 40mm though.

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    While Pentax has probably the widest range of pancake lenses in current production, there are pancake lenses from other makes that are just as good if not better than the original Pentax DA & M 40mm pancakes.

    Three that come to mind are the Contax Tessar T* 45mm f2.8, Nikon 45mm f/2.8 P, Konica 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon. I have used the Nikon and the Konica in the past and they easily outperform the current DA 40mm hands down. The Voigtlander 40mm f/2 SL II is also a strong contender optically. Even Minolta had a pancake lens in the form of the Rokkor 45mm f/2 MD.

    Just to put things in perspective that pancakes aren't a new thing or unique only to Pentax. All pancakes follow the Tessar lens design where there is even center and edge performance at the expense of a large max aperture.
    Wow Dennis,
    I had no idea there were so many pancakes out there (yum yum!) Are they all auto lens? I would like to think that apart from the Olympus 28mm, Pentax has the only other range of autofocus pancakes. I have read that inspite of everything, the DA40mm has the distinction as being the thinnest is this true?

    Cheers!
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

  20. #20
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: fa50 or da40?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Haha….welcome to the Club! :-)



    I have the 50mm too. Have to agree if you want to keep the 50mm, the 35mm makes more sense but its not as thin or sexy as the 40mm though.



    Wow Dennis,
    I had no idea there were so many pancakes out there (yum yum!) Are they all auto lens? I would like to think that apart from the Olympus 28mm, Pentax has the only other range of autofocus pancakes. I have read that inspite of everything, the DA40mm has the distinction as being the thinnest is this true?

    Cheers!
    Only the Pentax DA and the new Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm have AF.
    The DA 40 could possibly be the thinnest because it doesn't have an aperture ring, but we're talking a few millimeters here. But seriously, one shouldn't buy an optic on the basis of size alone but for it's optical performance. At any rate, once it gets to be too thin, the option to focus manually starts to be more challenging.

    Anyway here's a comparison test between the old and new Pentax 40mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •