Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should hawkers maximize profits?

Default Re: Should hawkers maximize profits?

Quote Originally Posted by idor View Post
    alamak... my neighbour next door offer me a price cheaper than yours leh... can lah... 50% discount lah... and i give you an ang pow after job is done...
    eh, i not a hawker lar...

dun OT ler, wait Mods serve infractions. self collect no extra charge, tah-pao add $0.20! wahaa...
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 19th July 2008 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    spot on!

these applies to bosses who never increase salaries!
    Every boss has a paramount moral duty to increase his own pay.

His other moral duty is to maintain $0 pay rise for his staffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Frankly, there are still some hawkers (of course they are mostly the older ones, more like in the 50's + 60's+) who, like SION said, still have the passion in their work, and when I asked them why are they still selling "so cheap", their answers always touched my hearts ....
    this place mostly old/poor folks, cant afford high prices, or this is industrial area, lots of foreign workers, not rich ppl and so help sell them cheap, my kids not interested in my business and i dont really need lots of monies, so no point selling high prices, passing time now, etc....
    I have this stall selling noodles, $2-80(new price) with lots of fish cakes, chopped meats, 3 good-size prawns, lots of tow-gays, 1 big dumpling, lots of noodles and i big bowl of soup with unlimited DIY refills He looks like one happy hawker with his hardworking wife!

Then there is the other extreme, this noodle stall in a shopping centre. I ordered dry fish ball noodle takeaway and ask for some soup, willing to pay extra 20 cts for the plastic container but he insisted that dry doesnt come with soup and i must ordered the fish balls alone to get the soup .... wtf!
    I've been having this discouraging conversation with my friends recently, I think that this idea of "passion" is lacking.
    I know many people who start businesses for the sake of passion and do not start off with the main intention of maximising profits.

I grew up reading comics at Comics Mart in Serene Centre and spent very little money there compared to those who could afford to spend. But they didn't chase me out and it's thanks for them that I could enjoy reading so many comics.

When I see places the emphasise on maximising profits it turns me off, and I agree that they have every right to do so but I think it's just reflective of the social attitudes nowadays of a focus on money first. Everything that is done must be justified with a dollar value.

I understand that commercial businesses want to make as much money as they can, which is why there are so many companies that cater to the lowest common denominator, will do whatever it takes to make more money. No need to care for authenticity, no need for some moral compass, no IDEALS, only shareholders.

However, I also know of companies that are driven by other concerns rather than making money. And I respect them for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    Similarly, do you think photographers with lower studio rental, cheaper equipments and using opensource photo editing software should charge cheaper?
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    that's how many photographers think they should charge this way, since their father sponsors the camera, mother sponsors the computer, brother sponsors batteries and CF card, sister sponsors camera bag.....etc, so no overhead, can charge cheaper, all proceeds are PURE profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Photographer's fees = Costs + Profit + Passion

In the case of $0 equipment cost for a wedding assignment:

$200 = $0 + $200 + $0

So cool, cannot have said it better myself. Passion = $0.

Maximizing profit is not a crime as some of our more deluded members are trying to promote. To serve sub standard products in order to maximize profit, that is a crime.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    So cool, cannot have said it better myself. Passion = $0.

Maximizing profit is not a crime as some of our more deluded members are trying to promote. To serve sub standard products in order to maximize profit, that is a crime.
    but some do get away with that kind of crime locally.

dun need to hint, v obvious wan...

but some do get away with that kind of crime locally.

dun need to hint, v obvious wan...
    No intention to hint. I don't hint.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

unable to stop them... even inflation is tamed down.. i bet their prices will remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Frankly, there are still some hawkers (of course they are mostly the older ones, more like in the 50's + 60's+) who, like SION said, still have the passion in their work, and when I asked them why are they still selling "so cheap", their answers always
    Dude, my good friend's dad is one of those 'old hawker' from a heartlander selling low prices that you're talking about. He takes home 8 grand a month for about 2 decades. Now that his costs are skyrocketing, he still keeps his prices the same. His kids are grown up, his flat had been paid for, his retirement money set aside, he doesn't see the need to raise prices. Like you said, he's just passing time.

It's completely unfair to compare with a new establishment, especially those small time self proprietors who're usually on huge loans on start up and trying to sell at a price that at least allows them to recoup their investment and paying off loans in a couple of years. If they survive in the business. Which actually applies to any newly start up businesses these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    unable to stop them... even inflation is tamed down.. i bet their prices will remain the same.
    they caused it?

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Dude, my good friend's dad is one of those 'old hawker' from a heartlander selling low prices that you're talking about. He takes home 8 grand a month for about 2 decades. Now that his costs are skyrocketing, he still keeps his prices the same. His kids are grown up, his flat had been paid for, his retirement money set aside, he doesn't see the need to raise prices. Like you said, he's just passing time.

It's completely unfair to compare with a new establishment, especially those small time self proprietors who're usually on huge loans on start up and trying to sell at a price that at least allows them to recoup their investment and paying off loans in a couple of years. If they survive in the business. Which actually applies to any newly start up businesses these days.
    thatz a fair POV.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    I've been having this discouraging conversation with my friends recently, I think that this idea of "passion" is lacking.
    I know many people who start businesses for the sake of passion and do not start off with the main intention of maximising profits.

I grew up reading comics at Comics Mart in Serene Centre and spent very little money there compared to those who could afford to spend. But they didn't chase me out and it's thanks for them that I could enjoy reading so many comics.

When I see places the emphasise on maximising profits it turns me off, and I agree that they have every right to do so but I think it's just reflective of the social attitudes nowadays of a focus on money first. Everything that is done must be justified with a dollar value.

I understand that commercial businesses want to make as much money as they can, which is why there are so many companies that cater to the lowest common denominator, will do whatever it takes to make more money. No need to care for authenticity, no need for some moral compass, no IDEALS, only shareholders.

However, I also know of companies that are driven by other concerns rather than making money. And I respect them for that too.
    Comics mart had to do that because that's how a comic shop business is run. If you notice all comic stores let you stay and hang out and chat with the owners and or other customers. The comic book store model is more about community and that's how they foster their business relationships. Any store that chases its customers out for doing so is not gonna be able to stay in business for long. You've been to the US i'm sure u know that the comic stores there are like that too. That being said the hawkers are by nature a commercial enterprise they are entitled to making a profit after deducting costs...otherwise how u expect people to survive? That being said though i am against some of the dishonest hawkers who try to gouge their customers...those are the ones that deserve to go bust.
    Last edited by TheQuestion; 20th July 2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    that's sad but true for not just hawkers.

geez, its not v fair to compare how local business with those overseas. e business environment cant be more different.

geez, its not v fair to compare how local business with those overseas. e business environment cant be more different.
    you telling me its not fair to compare business models? because that's what i did.

it's time the company gives us food coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    it's time the company gives us food coupons.
    cannot la no welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    you telling me its not fair to compare business models? because that's what i did.
    i know lah, but by that our huge public & v local enterprise always say our ~ is the best in the region just so they can slack abit ler... den increase price...

i know lah, but by that our huge public & v local enterprise always say our ~ is the best in the region just so they can slack abit ler... den increase price...
    indeed. best in the region? reminds me of phua chu kang...he always said it but i dun see him doing anything to prove it.

indeed. best in the region? reminds me of phua chu kang...he always said it but i dun see him doing anything to prove it.
    thatz why PCK is not around anymore?

but i think most of our local hawkers not sooo boastful, they just do business day in day out. maybe thatz why most that are in business a long time still are. without claiming to be the best, they do not spark a 'war' with other stalls.

thatz why PCK is not around anymore?

but i think most of our local hawkers not sooo boastful, they just do business day in day out. maybe thatz why most that are in business a long time still are. without claiming to be the best, they do not spark a 'war' with other stalls.
    I still dare to say there is a fishball mince pork noodles in joochiat that is the best I've ever had in sg. and I've had alot of mee pok in my lifetime! besides pck only boast never proved it hence cannot tahan the test of time lor hahaha
    Last edited by TheQuestion; 20th July 2008 at 07:02 PM.

I still dare to say there is a fishball mince pork noodles in joochiat that is the best I've ever had in sg. and I've had alot of mee pok in my lifetime! besides pck only boast never proved it hence cannot tahan the test of time lor hahaha
    Oooo, den u must PM me e stall! i got time go try out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12