Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should hawkers maximize profits?

Default Should hawkers maximize profits?

In your opinion, do you feel that food hawkers (not those that have tendered high prices in food courts, etc but those at subsidized places at heartland's hawker centres, etc) have a moral duty to sell food at prices that are not exorbitant, "fairly subsidized" or helpful to the masses? Or do you think that they have every moral rights to maximize profit from the masses, even though their subsidized stalls are doing very well and very profitable?
    always the Light, .... always.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should hawkers maximize profits?

Its business, so i tink its right if they wanna earn more $$$ but its up to the consumer if they wan to pay the extra $$$

Every businessman should only have the moral duty to maximize profit for himself.

Only a photographer has the moral duty to give free or low price service. Because he does it for passion.
    Last edited by Sion; 19th July 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    In your opinion, do you feel that food hawkers (not those that have tendered high prices in food courts, etc but those at subsidized places at heartland's hawker centres, etc) have a moral duty to sell food at prices that are not exorbitant, "fairly subsidized" or helpful to the masses? Or do you think that they have every moral rights to maximize profit from the masses, even though their subsidized stalls are doing very well and very profitable?
    What are you smoking?

Are you guarantying that the rental of the stall will not skyrocket like everything else?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

wait long long.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

They have a right to run a business and make as much profit as they can, but I can't stand the cheats who super duper falsely advertise and even when the food they serve is inedible/has turned bad, they act blur and don't even apologize, let alone offer a replacement or refund.

Frankly, there are still some hawkers (of course they are mostly the older ones, more like in the 50's + 60's+) who, like SION said, still have the passion in their work, and when I asked them why are they still selling "so cheap", their answers always touched my hearts ....
    this place mostly old/poor folks, cant afford high prices, or this is industrial area, lots of foreign workers, not rich ppl and so help sell them cheap, my kids not interested in my business and i dont really need lots of monies, so no point selling high prices, passing time now, etc....
    I have this stall selling noodles, $2-80(new price) with lots of fish cakes, chopped meats, 3 good-size prawns, lots of tow-gays, 1 big dumpling, lots of noodles and i big bowl of soup with unlimited DIY refills He looks like one happy hawker with his hardworking wife!

Then there is the other extreme, this noodle stall in a shopping centre. I ordered dry fish ball noodle takeaway and ask for some soup, willing to pay extra 20 cts for the plastic container but he insisted that dry doesnt come with soup and i must ordered the fish balls alone to get the soup .... wtf!
    Last edited by Canonised; 19th July 2008 at 02:56 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

Opportunists and sharks exist in any business. I personally don't like them, but what to do. Like viruses and cockroaches, they will never be gotten rid of.

An old and established hawker, all the equipments are fully paid for, fully amortised, clients are established, of course, their cost is lower and revenue steady. A new hawker, who had just spent a fortune buying everything, may even have to borrow to buy, cost is higher, and how not to charge enough to cover cost of good sold and interest expenses???
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Similarly, do you think photographers with lower studio rental, cheaper equipments and using opensource photo editing software should charge cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    Similarly, do you think photographers with lower studio rental, cheaper equipments and using opensource photo editing software should charge cheaper?
    that's how many photographers think they should charge this way, since their father sponsors the camera, mother sponsors the computer, brother sponsors batteries and CF card, sister sponsors camera bag.....etc, so no overhead, can charge cheaper, all proceeds are PURE profit.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

if they can do so without turning away customers they would. rentals are a major component to costs, so are the ingredients they need. rising price of food would be additional burden to business. even modern take-away packaging costs more.

its a rare sight to see coffee or tea packed in reused milk containers with rafia string these days.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    that's how many photographers think they should charge this way, since their father sponsors the camera, mother sponsors the computer, brother sponsors batteries and CF card, sister sponsors camera bag.....etc, so no overhead, can charge cheaper, all proceeds are PURE profit.
    Photographer's fees = Costs + Profit + Passion

In the case of $0 equipment cost for a wedding assignment:

$200 = $0 + $200 + $0

Last edited by Sion; 19th July 2008 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Photographer's fees = Costs + Profit + Passion

In the case of $0 equipment cost for a wedding assignment:

$200 = $0 + $200 + $0

ehhhh... got discount a not har?

Quote Originally Posted by idor View Post
    ehhhh... got discount a not har?
    ERP charges incurred will be waived.

but receipts printed will be subjected to GST.

vince123123
    Guests

There are no moral duties involved, these are commercial busiensses you are talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Every businessman should only have the moral duty to maximize profit for himself.

Only a photographer has the moral duty to give free or low price service. Because he does it for passion.
    but not many will cover an event without being paid (out of passion). so, can we safely say that most photographers do not exercise their moral duty when taking up jobs?
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    There are no moral duties involved, these are commercial busiensses you are talking about here.
    spot on!

these applies to bosses who never increase salaries!

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    ERP charges incurred will be waived.

but receipts printed will be subjected to GST.
    alamak... my neighbour next door offer me a price cheaper than yours leh... can lah... 50% discount lah... and i give you an ang pow after job is done...

Quote Originally Posted by idor View Post
    alamak... my neighbour next door offer me a price cheaper than yours leh... can lah... 50% discount lah... and i give you an ang pow after job is done...
    50% Discount from $200 can.

But Ang Pow must be $100 not $5.

$200 = 50% Discount + $100 Ang Pow + $0 Passion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast