Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Too cheap to be trusted

  1. #1

    Default Too cheap to be trusted

    Hi,

    I've come across very often at various buy/sell classicfied eg Phing, HWZ of this seller who offer apple Mac book pro, plasma TV at super cheap price.

    For example they are offering me $1.2k for a 24" imac. To actually find out who they are I sent them an email and got replied. They said tey do all their transaction through ebay and ebay will send me invoice.

    Have anyone any previous dealing with them? To me, I find their price too low to be true.
    It looks pretty much like a "con job" Anyone can share your thoughts or actual experience?



    Ahsam Hui

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Too cheap to be trusted

    Quote Originally Posted by ahsamhui View Post
    Hi,

    I've come across very often at various buy/sell classicfied eg Phing, HWZ of this seller who offer apple Mac book pro, plasma TV at super cheap price.

    For example they are offering me $1.2k for a 24" imac. To actually find out who they are I sent them an email and got replied. They said tey do all their transaction through ebay and ebay will send me invoice.

    Have anyone any previous dealing with them? To me, I find their price too low to be true.
    It looks pretty much like a "con job" Anyone can share your thoughts or actual experience?



    Ahsam Hui
    If its too cheap to be true, it probably isn't
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Too cheap to be trusted

    if is too good to be true then is most likely a scam, let the buyer beware!
    Last edited by Simon_84; 18th July 2008 at 02:21 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Too cheap to be trusted

    Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    If its too cheap to be true, it probably isn't
    should be

    if it is too cheap to be true, it probably is (too cheap too be true)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Too cheap to be trusted

    Yeah, buyer beware.
    Just got stung a couple of months ago on an Ebay transaction, and even Paypal ruled against my dispute claim. Shows that it's still pretty easy to get away with fraud.

  6. #6
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Too cheap to be trusted

    Email scam.

    Saw a lot of scammers posting threads in this pattern:

    Selling bla bla bla at $xxxx. Email me at qwerty @ gmail . com for more information

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Too cheap to be trusted

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    should be

    if it is too cheap to be true, it probably is (too cheap too be true)
    It probably isn't (true) - Both ways are correct. But yea your's actually sounds more proper than mine
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  8. #8
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Too cheap to be trusted

    Some just want to harvest a working email address.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Too cheap to be trusted

    If it's the sort that post a huge list of electronics at very very cheap prices, then it's also called a "nigerian scam". Many have telephone numbers in the UK.
    Alpha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •