Thread: help with aperture and shutter speed

Default help with aperture and shutter speed

i just got myself 50mm f1.8, yay!

well i tried shooting, but the thing kept on making sound trying to focus i suppose?
    so when i use the M mode basically i set the shutter speed..and i tried different shutter speed and it takes really long for me to get a shot.

i really don't get it
    but anyway, can someone advise what is the approximiate aperture and shutter speed for
    1)Daylight and Night portrait
    2)Daylight and Night Architecture and street

im off to shoot tomorrow, so HELP![=

thanks.
    tempatation greets me like a naughty friend.
    http://nurwafah.deviantart.com

Default Re: help with aperture and shutter speed

what aperture and shutter speed to use, for portrait, depends on your condition, and your intended depth of field.

for architecture, usually f/8 to f/11 for depth of field is wanted. shutter speed - depends on lighting condition.

for street, refer to comments on portrait.

there are no magic settings, i.e. you happily dial in iso400, f/2.8 and 1/500s shutter speed and voila, every photo will give you magically correct exposure and what you want. photography doesn't work like that - i suggest you do a little reading up on what each setting does, they affect 2 main things each usually. read sulhan's notes in the newbies --> articles & guides section, read and try, this is a way better learning method than opening your mouth wide and expecting people to spoonfeed. cheers!

before you shoot manual you can just put it back to av/tv and look at the metering there.
    once you have seen what the camera thinks is the right shutter speed and apertura take that information and play around with it abit.
    If you want a shallow depth of filed lower your aperture. For landscapes where a deep depth of field is needed set your aperture to around f8 and above.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by lustlab View Post
    i just got myself 50mm f1.8, yay!

well i tried shooting, but the thing kept on making sound trying to focus i suppose?
    so when i use the M mode basically i set the shutter speed..and i tried different shutter speed and it takes really long for me to get a shot.

i really don't get it
    but anyway, can someone advise what is the approximiate aperture and shutter speed for
    1)Daylight and Night portrait
    2)Daylight and Night Architecture and street

im off to shoot tomorrow, so HELP![=

thanks.

That 'noise' you heard was the AF motor trying to focus the lens.

Many 50mm f/1.8 lenses are known to be noisy and slow to focus.

There's no standard 'set;' shutter speed/aperture combination for day or night portraits, nor day/night archi shoots.

The best is to actually start learning about light, exposure and basic camera controls.

But this would take some time, and since your shoot tomorrow, just whack everything in P mode and use a sturdy tripod for the night shoot. You're going to shoot so many things all in one day?

If you are using any filter, remove it first then try again. Happend to me before and when I checked, I was using a closeup filter. hahahaha

Go read and learn on the fundamentals of photography. Each scene requires different sets of aperture and shutter speed values. No 1-size fit all.

Btw, your 50mm f/1.8 has a great potential to create good bokeh at f/1.8. Trying playing around with it.
    The best things in life are free.

Use Av or P if you're unsure about settings, then improvise from there.

Also take note that your focusing screen (or any of the xxxD series for that matter ) can only see up to F2.8

You'll only see the effect of F1.8 after you have taken the picture.
    Canon 400D:18-55:75-300:50F1.8:tokina 28-70F2.8:
    msn - viroxmk5@hotmail.com

of course there is a magic formula...

its called the Sunny 16 Rule

Quote Originally Posted by mckenzy View Post
    of course there is a magic formula...

its called the Sunny 16 Rule
    this is so cool!

i tried shooting at aperture 1.8, and the pics came out all white and blank.
    what is wrong here?

Seriously I think you will be better off by first learning the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Then you yourself will be able to answer your question.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with your lens, you have to know that f/1.8 is a large aperture and hence there will be lots of light falling on your sensor to produce a white picture. To overcome this, use a higher shutter speed or polariser.
    The best things in life are free.

this is a very useful tip! Thanks for sharing.
    Canon 60D, Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3VC, 580EXII

what is wrong here?
    I think your settings made it way too overexposed. Step up the shutter or step down the ISO or do both till you get the right exposure. If ambient lighting is so bright that doing that did not help...you're need to use a filter or find a different angle or location...
    Nikon D80, Nikon Coolpix 885, AFS DX VR Zoom- Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

btw, you do know the cam still provides a meter reading even in M mode, you can use that for a reference..

what is wrong here?
    I suggest you learn how to use your camera's exposure metering system. Read the manual.
    Alpha

If you're on AF mode, and the lens is always trying to focus without getting an AF lock, it could be because you are too close to your subject/object - i.e. the distance between your lens and your subject/object is less than the minimum focusing distance.

Of course, it might not be the case if you get a perfect focus when you switch your lens to manual focus.

what is wrong here?
    this, i have the best answer for..

because there seems to be no interest in learning photography, only an interest in being..

Use your P (Program) mode first. See how your camera works out the exposure, aperture and all that first.