Thread: HELP urgent on lens

Default HELP urgent on lens

i got a nikon 18-70 which i like but it struggles at low light. so iwas wondering should i get the tammy 28-75 or 17-50. URGENT.. need to reply seller by 2pm lol i am using a d40x so both the tammy have in-built motor

Deregistered

Default Re: HELP urgent on lens

tammy 17-50 f2.8 might help else get pro-body.

Blog Entries

older tammy don't have AF motor, just make sure

the 17-50 is a good lens, and ya, juz make sure theres built in motor.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    older tammy don't have AF motor, just make sure
    not just older, the 17-50 i think across mounts all does not have built in motor.

so not suitable for D40 series

ooops* just saw, ya, got new version with built in motor... buyer beware
    Last edited by Del_CtrlnoAlt; 17th July 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

f2.8 is good for low light, but, please note that the DOF will be shallower...I don't know what you are using the lens for, if you need deeper DOF, like shooting group foto during a wedding dinner, f2.8 can't work for the DOF, so you will still be using f5.6 or smaller. In cases like this, VR lens will be more helpful....

Hope this helps.

Even the older version, I think it has motor for Canon mount....Canon has no build in motor for some bodies also right? I am not very sure though....just bring up for verification.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    not just older, the 17-50 i think across mounts all does not have built in motor.

so not suitable for D40 series

ooops* just saw, ya, got new version with built in motor... buyer beware

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    f2.8 is good for low light, but, please note that the DOF will be shallower...I don't know what you are using the lens for, if you need deeper DOF, like shooting group foto during a wedding dinner, f2.8 can't work for the DOF, so you will still be using f5.6 or smaller. In cases like this, VR lens will be more helpful....

Hope this helps.
    so u suggest him buy a 17-50 f5.6 if manufacturer make them? lol... better still, f8, sweet spot version...

think seldom ppl will use wide open unless in really low light condition, the f2.8 compared to maybe kit lens f4 or something is cos of the brighter view aka 'fast' for AF to pick up so that it won't hunt.

well, with any lens, also can bump ISO and use smaller aperture and faster shutter to get pics, but difference in having a f2.8 vs f4 is the focusing in low light.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I think you have got me wrong...since TS was saying about having problem in low light, but having f2.8 will not solve all his problem in low light condition....in the example I quoted, f2.8 will not help, (bumping ISO is common for all lenses, so not mentioning), but having a VR lens may help in that particular low light scenario....like ISO can be kept lower.

So, best is to get a f2.8 VR lens loh.

Well, focusing speed portion, of course f2.8 will be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    so u suggest him buy a 17-50 f5.6 if manufacturer make them? lol... better still, f8, sweet spot version...

think seldom ppl will use wide open unless in really low light condition, the f2.8 compared to maybe kit lens f4 or something is cos of the brighter view aka 'fast' for AF to pick up so that it won't hunt.

well, with any lens, also can bump ISO and use smaller aperture and faster shutter to get pics, but difference in having a f2.8 vs f4 is the focusing in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    I think you have got me wrong...since TS was saying about having problem in low light, but having f2.8 will not solve all his problem in low light condition....in the example I quoted, f2.8 will not help, (bumping ISO is common for all lenses, so not mentioning), but having a VR lens may help in that particular low light scenario....like ISO can be kept lower.

So, best is to get a f2.8 VR lens loh.

Well, focusing speed portion, of course f2.8 will be faster.
    Well if having a f/2.8 lens means my AF points become more sensitive, then it helps, even if you are stopping down to f/5.6. Think about it: AF still is performed with the lens wide open.

As for verification you were asking for, all Canon lenses are lens-motor driven. Canon has no screw-slot drive on the EOS system.

Yah, agree with what you said. But TS mentioned "struggles at low light", and AF is just one of the few problems for low light condition, I am just trying to remind him that f2.8 will not solve all the low light problems.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Well if having a f/2.8 lens means my AF points become more sensitive, then it helps, even if you are stopping down to f/5.6. Think about it: AF still is performed with the lens wide open.
    So even for Tamron lens that do not have built-in motor for nikon mount will have motor built-in for Canon mount model right?

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    As for verification you were asking for, all Canon lenses are lens-motor driven. Canon has no screw-slot drive on the EOS system.

what i mean struggle in low light as in the f stop of 4.5 that make me bump up my iso to maybe 800 or 1600 which i dun wish to. with 2.8 i can shoot at 400 and choose to bump up to 800 max :P

As discussed earlier, just get the 17-50 and your beloved Sigma 10-20...

Precisely what I am trying to warn you...if you think the narrow DOF of f2.8 can help your situation, then its ok. I really don't know what you are shooting in that light condition.

Quote Originally Posted by ahquan View Post
    what i mean struggle in low light as in the f stop of 4.5 that make me bump up my iso to maybe 800 or 1600 which i dun wish to. with 2.8 i can shoot at 400 and choose to bump up to 800 max :P