Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: silica gel packs in camera bag.

Default Re: silica gel packs in camera bag.

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    I have tried recycling silica gel, it's not as effective as new ones.
    A new silica gel looses it's effectiveness after 3 to 4 times you open the dry box.
    But a recycled silica gels couldn't bring the humidity below 50% even for the first time of usage.

Has anybody tried the same experiment?
    there is no truth in what u posted.

personally, i use those "rechargeable" silica gel (SG) packs available from home fix store. i recharge them many times, and they still absorb water and turn pink, and turn blue after i "charge" them overnight.

it's a standalone pack. u just plug it into the socket and the built-in heater will slowly dry the gel. there's a "viewport" to check on the progress by colour

even after countless "chargings", this silica gel pack has no issue with boosting the "dryness" of my dry cabi to 30% or less. in a matter of hours. it was after i read up more on CS that i decided to maintain the humidity between 45-55% otherwise rubber seals may crack

sometimes my dry cabi cannot bring down the humidity fast enough. i will just put the SG pack in and remove it when humidity reaches 40%. otherwise the cabi will take some time on its own
    Last edited by boyboy; 21st July 2008 at 09:11 AM.

You guys think an airtight Tupperware container might work ? I myself am saving for a drybox too but looking for temporary solutions in the meanwhile.

i use a dry box, with 600ml size thirsty hippo. manage to keep the humidity at 50% constantly.

btw, bcos the dry box is air tight, the thirsty hippo last much longer (already the 2nd month, i haven't notice water in the container).

I bought a pack of closet dehumidifier from Cold Storage yesterday. Its a packet-looking thing about 30cm high, by 10 cm wide, by 0.8 cm thick. Could easily fit into a camera bag. I used it for my cheapo dry box, and its got the humidity down to 40%. Very compact and pretty good, and the instructions say to replace it once the bead contents turn into gel.

The good thing is I could carry this in my camera bag as well...

Quote Originally Posted by 01dsk001 View Post
    I bought a pack of closet dehumidifier from Cold Storage yesterday. Its a packet-looking thing about 30cm high, by 10 cm wide, by 0.8 cm thick. Could easily fit into a camera bag. I used it for my cheapo dry box, and its got the humidity down to 40%. Very compact and pretty good, and the instructions say to replace it once the bead contents turn into gel.

The good thing is I could carry this in my camera bag as well...
    how much does it cost?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12