Thread: G9 vs. EOS 40D vs D80

Default G9 vs. EOS 40D vs D80

Hi all,

My first post here with a quick Q for help.

I'm planning to get back into photography as I use to play around with an old Nikon FE 10. I have its manual kit lens and bought a AF Sigma 28mm F1.8 fix lens for it as well. The camera and lens are easily 12-13 years old!

So right now I'm looking to go back into photography with either a Canon G9, EOS 40D or Nikon D80.

I like to shoot documentary style photography, landscapes/architecture and possibly portraits.

So Im considering the G9 as its like a mini SLR without the load of lenses. Is this a right assumption? I like the convenient package.

However I dont mind going up to a digital SLR if I can possibly reuse some of my old lenses, but they are 12 years old! If so, is the EOS40D or D 80 a better buy? Or is there another DSLR worth considering? I dont really want to spend too much. Is about a 1K budget with lenses realistic?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Lmr.

PS am also reading up all the newbie threads as well.
    Last edited by lingmiester; 16th July 2008 at 05:19 PM.

Default Re: G9 vs. EOS 40D vs D80

I you want a good point and shoot in one neat small package, the Canon G9 is great. The point and shoot vs DSLR has been well discussed about on this forum. While it is often too overly quoted that the person behind the camera makes the shots, but there are fundamental differences between the two systems that makes the difference.

If you already have old Nikon mount lenses why not get a Nikon body to work with.
    ( I am not taking sides on either ). Not too sure about first hand prices nowadays but a 2nd hand D80 body will probably be in your range.

Ryan

Both the D80 and 40D will cost more than 1k even just the body alone if i remember correctly. Was checking both out last week when i was looking around for a DSLR as well. Maybe you can try the 2nd hand market or look at entry level ones with that budget

Getting a D80 would definitely be a viable choice since you already have two lens.
    You might want to check on the lens condition though, 12-13 years doesn't mean much if it's stored carefully and well taken care of.

But as the others have stated, for a budget of 1K better aim for a used D80.

My advice is that you don't go for the D40/D40x/D60 as your old lens would not auto focus on those bodies.
    The point is, stay Nikon since you have lens already. *I'm not a Nikon user, so I'm not playing favorite here*

Quote Originally Posted by lingmiester View Post
    So Im considering the G9 as its like a mini SLR without the load of lenses. Is this a right assumption?
    Nope.

The G9 is a very good compact. Possibly one of the best ever? But it is still a compact, and no matter how good, it still doesn't produce DSLR quality images, nor could it be as responsive in use. It's just inherent in the design.

It's a good substitute, but not a good replacement.

So that's what you need to think of: DSLR or compact?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

hi all,

thanks for the great advice! I see where you are coming from. Another question, I like to take documentary shots. While I'm no newbie, I'm no expert as well.

But let me throw it out here, the framing of this documentary shots, the angles, the exposure etc. how much is it got to do with the person taking the image vs. the camera's ability?

Her are some examples:

Nikon D80, so that you n use your manual lenses again.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

I would recommend you to get a D80 kit. The kit lens is quite worth it, though not absolutely necessary in your case.
    Your Sigma 28mm will be able to AF on a D80. If you don't mind giving up the AF function of the sigma lens, then D40/D40x/D60 can also be considered.

I believe a G9 is too pricey. It carries a price tag of an entry-level dslr, yet provide p&s functions. Unless you are really going for size, weight and convenience, then there will some justification for G9. G9 can never match a dslr in image & lens optic quality. There are physical limitations too, e.g. noise control.

For documentary approach to photography, I think you will be better off with a dslr. A p&s can take too long to start. You end up missing the shot. Plus p&s cams drains your battery faster than dslr. Furthermore you won't want to put your photo to 100% size and realise that they look bad. But of course, to be even able to churn out nice photos, it depends on the photographer.
    The best things in life are free.

most ppl would advise you to go with the d80 since you have that sigma lens of nikon mount.
    a 2nd hand d80 in the b&s section would cost around 850 to 950.
    go observe more about the market in the b&s market before deciding whether to buy 1st hand or 2nd hand.
    there's a price list in nikon section as well.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 17th July 2008 at 09:48 AM.

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the advice. I will check it out!

Also guy I'm leaning towards the G9 as a start. I'm not quite sure if I am ready too or can plonk that money to get that DSLR yet. I believe i need to improve my technical skills first, then when I am kicking it, I'll upgrade.
    Last edited by lingmiester; 17th July 2008 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lingmiester View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks very much for the advice. I will check it out!

Also guy I'm leaning towards the G9 as a start. I'm not quite sure if I am ready too or can plonk that money to get that DSLR yet. I believe i need to improve my technical skills first, then when I am kicking it, I'll upgrade.
    Don't knock the G9 man. This little Titan pack a punch. I have been reading alot of reviews and stuff from oversea on the net and magazines and this camera gets very good reviews and some pros keeps this as a backup. The metering is good enough that they use it to read exposure information for a shot if they forgot to bring a light meter. I had played with my friend's G9 and it really is a good camera. Good colours, features and the resolution is just right. And that is hard for me to say since I am a true blue Nikon buyer It really is worth your consideration as a starter.

Thanks man. I totally agree. I see it as a step up from a point and shoot. Rather than a step down from a DSLR.