Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advcie for Tripod Head.

Default Re: Advcie for Tripod Head.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    eh Foba's QR mounting plate is rather huge & unrefined. range of movement not good, IMO. i had their M1 http://www.pricegrabber.ca/search_ge...oduct/sv=title, it tend to shift right just b4 i tighten the knob.

get Arca Swiss or Kangringpoch (spell dunno correct anot?) when budget allows lor.
    The mounting plate works. I don't really care what it looks like.

The M-1 I have not used before, so I can't comment. Perhaps it's designed for lighter loads? I use the larger one - no problems. I've heard feedback that even the RRS head has problems locking, and the snap lever gets loose after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    No, $2000 is not my budget for a tripod + head, unfortunately. Anyway, you always need a couple of spare QR plates for your lens ring mounts on your long lenses.

I met someone using an Acratech Ultimate a few weeks back when we went out to shoot some landscapes. What impressed me the most is that he can leave the camera with a normal zoom (about 3 kg total?) on his ballhead and carry everything attached to the tripod when we hiked around. I wouldn't trust the RC2 that much. The design of the head also looks very cool, like an armillary sphere.
    But I though in the instruction manual said,
    do not carry the tripod with the camera walk or move around?
    your camera may hit the trees or people around you?

But anyway do you really trust the ball head or tripod will not give way?
    No matter is super good or expensive one.....

This is just my though only....

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    The mounting plate works. I don't really care what it looks like.

The M-1 I have not used before, so I can't comment. Perhaps it's designed for lighter loads? I use the larger one - no problems. I've heard feedback that even the RRS head has problems locking, and the snap lever gets loose after awhile.
    i know, but the locking part does not. or is it just my set? do macro/close-up frame liao, finally 1 2 lock with the lever always shift the frame millimeters away. frustrating....

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    I met someone using an Acratech Ultimate a few weeks back when we went out to shoot some landscapes. What impressed me the most is that he can leave the camera with a normal zoom (about 3 kg total?) on his ballhead and carry everything attached to the tripod when we hiked around. I wouldn't trust the RC2 that much. The design of the head also looks very cool, like an armillary sphere.
    i believe the design actually enhance userability, good range of movement, easy maintainance (no grease, no corners for dirt to gather) & light in weight. yah under 2kg, carry cam in any position attached on not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post

That method is actually recommended by some professional wildlife shooters. About 4 or 5 people carried their gear around that way that day (no heavy lenses, of course). No one got hit and where we were, there were no trees along the path. Of course, no one's swinging around wildly and we kept our distance from each other as well (no kids there). For me the weakest point is the QR - my tripod and head seems secure enough. But I don't mind removing the camera from the tripod - after all, that's what a QR system is for, to make it convenient to mount / remove the camera (or lens).

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post

most good, reputable clamps will stand up to minor movements well within its max load limits (mine was, & i never test its limits). circumstances where a sudden impact on its clamping mechanism would likely yank the cam off, like hitting a wall or any hard surface with quite a force.

sorry if this reply OT...

back to topic.

I am also considering getting a ballhead in the near future, right now still using the cheap aluminium with pan-tilt head that came with my camera, which is really frustrating when making minute adjustments.

Does a mid-range ballhead such as the 488RC has any problems with dirt particles, are there any adjustment problems (such able to move slightly even when locked), and does it have limited lifespan. I am assuming I do not have to worry about all these if I am choosing the top-end Acra ballhead.

Appreciate any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by raymond350 View Post
    Does a mid-range ballhead such as the 488RC has any problems with dirt particles, are there any adjustment problems (such able to move slightly even when locked), and does it have limited lifespan. I am assuming I do not have to worry about all these if I am choosing the top-end Acra ballhead.

Appreciate any advice.

like to clarify that the problem with that head is the final moment just b4 locking into position it shifts. once its locked it doesn't move.

Cathay Photo has offer for Acra Swiss 'copy', the Kangrinpoche. its a pricey purchase at $456 (P4 plate included). here's the link http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/specialoffers/item/110 i not sure the specs though.

if compare last time (2005) price here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137463. & now i think Dream Merchant will...

me Dream Merchant

like to clarify that the problem with that head is the final moment just b4 locking into position it shifts. once its locked it doesn't move.

Cathay Photo has offer for Acra Swiss 'copy', the Kangrinpoche. its a pricey purchase at $456 (P4 plate included). here's the link http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/specialoffers/item/110 i not sure the specs though.

if compare last time (2005) price here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137463. & now i think Dream Merchant will...

me Dream Merchant
    No lah. Eh? Why you want to me?

At the end of the day, these things are all up to the individual to assess their own needs, and then look at reviews etc and make an informed decision.

It's just that as you yourself have experienced with a slightly smaller head, even if your cam and lens weight do not exceed the ballhead's max load specs, it doesn't mean that the ballhead will lock without movement or be ultra secure. That's why I get a much larger and better made one (than is perceived as necessary).

Generally, if you want to save money and still get a very, very sturdy head, get a well-made, no frills mid-priced 3-way head.

No lah. Eh? Why you want to me?

At the end of the day, these things are all up to the individual to assess their own needs, and then look at reviews etc and make an informed decision.

It's just that as you yourself have experienced with a slightly smaller head, even if your cam and lens weight do not exceed the ballhead's max load specs, it doesn't mean that the ballhead will lock without movement or be ultra secure. That's why I get a much larger and better made one (than is perceived as necessary).

Generally, if you want to save money and still get a very, very sturdy head, get a well-made, no frills mid-priced 3-way head.
    i tot its de other way round? that time u mention getting the best... i know an Acra Swiss head would blow some CSer's budget skyhigh, now i doing the same?

sometimes head good, but neck weak arh- joint problem... so would that $456 recommendation be over-the-top?
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 23rd July 2008 at 06:05 PM.

i tot its de other way round? that time u mention getting the best... i know an Acra Swiss head would blow some CSer's budget skyhigh, now i doing the same?

sometimes head good, but neck weak arh- joint problem... so would that $456 recommendation be over-the-top?
    The strength of your set-up is only as good as it's weakest link, but if you have more than one weak(er)link, then you will have more than one headache.

If you get the Arca of Kangpokwatever (or in my case, the large FOBA), you know that it will serve you well, and buy once forget about it forever. Also, these heads have good re-sale value if you decide to change or downscale.

Edit: Hmm...now all this talk about Acra, I tempted to get one from the US leh. Anyone wants a super good big FOBA ballhead with several plates? Hehehehe.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 23rd July 2008 at 06:30 PM.

The strength of your set-up is only as good as it's weakest link, but if you have more than one weak(er)link, then you will have more than one headache.

If you get the Arca of Kangpokwatever (or in my case, the large FOBA), you know that it will serve you well, and buy once forget about it forever. Also, these heads have good re-sale value if you decide to change or downscale.

Edit: Hmm...now all this talk about Acra, I tempted to get one from the US leh. Anyone wants a super good big FOBA ballhead with several plates? Hehehehe.
    is it Acra Swiss or Acratech u aiming for? lelong, lelong...

i've seen Kaiser ballheads before at Peninsula Plaza but not sure if it good or way off budget for most here. if remember correctly its K-13, 2nd floor.

is it Acra Swiss or Acratech u aiming for? lelong, lelong...
    wich wan u wanna gif me?

wich wan u wanna gif me?
    i can try find the specs of both in pdf files & give u...

or will the pics do just 'fine' (smallest file size, 'fine' setting)?

i can try find the specs of both in pdf files & give u...

or will the pics do just 'fine' (smallest file size, 'fine' setting)?
    Hey! I'll also love miniature replicas, especially if they're CNCed! Ultra KEWL man!

Hey! I'll also love miniature replicas, especially if they're CNCed! Ultra KEWL man!
    likely the price of Frank Muller timepiece? i seriously wont be able to afford it ler...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123