Thread: Breaking into commercial photography

Default Breaking into commercial photography

What are some of the ways people find work in commercial photography? I understand there is no "proven" method. But what are some of the ways in which people have gone into commercial photography? Here are some ways, I think. Please add!

-Friends who are in ad agencies gave chance
    -Constant editorial exposure
    -Cold calls/ emails to agencies (does this ever work?)
    -Hang around Zouk, make friends with potential clients if u have mutual friends and drink with them. Mad PR skills and thick skin very useful here.
    -Art/ photo exhibition of your work. (again, does this ever work??)

What are some other good ways to find work in commercial photography?

BTW the reason I'm asking this is I know a photog who already has a very decent portfolio which has garnered good feedback from industry people, but maybe coz he's a new photog (but has assisted for years) and they already have their regular photogs, they don't give him jobs? He has already done some small budget though not small brand jobs for small agencies. He's still open to these types but can't be doing that forever. So we're wondering how to get him jobs from maybe the mid-size agencies.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Breaking into commercial photography

Friends in Ad agencies give chance is the best way to go.

have a portfolio that make the viewer say "wow, that is exactly what i am looking for"
    having the same kind of images that everyone else can do is not impressive
    be different

Very simple. U send an email to a someone...say a magazine editor or an agency AD...he knows who u r...he says...ahh...i know him and he replies u.

U send an email to some who dunno who the fish u r...click "delete".

Moral of the story, there are thousands of talented photogs out there. But the one who survives will be the master marketer.

ps: Unless your name is simon yam or chow yuen fatt.

in many trade.. its not what you know that matters.. its who you know..

Quote Originally Posted by tionghan View Post
    Yeap. It is a sad world out there. There are lot of talented artist out there whom are just 'wandering'. On the flipside, there are also a lot of wannabes out there too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tionghan View Post
    that is just to open doors, but you actually need to get the job done with minimal fuss to stay in that open door

if not then the doors will slam shut

btw, a photographer is only as good as his last shot

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    chow yuen fatt.
    As far as I know, he doesn't exhibit his pics under his own name, but uses a different one........

Hong Sien

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    As far as I know, he doesn't exhibit his pics under his own name, but uses a different one........

Hong Sien
    If Chow Yuen Fatt has to do commericial photography for a living he won't be Chow Yuen Fatt liao.

Default Re: Happy

Quote Originally Posted by dtrrr1ho View Post
    bump and lurk--------------------------------our wow gold site:buy ,wow gold,wow gold,wow gold,
    What does this got to do with anything?
    Last edited by ortega; 22nd July 2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: edited out the links

Blog Entries

Default Re: Happy

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    What does this got to do with anything?
    that was a SPAM post

Quote Originally Posted by juliet View Post
    What are some of the ways people find work in commercial photography? I understand there is no "proven" method. But what are some of the ways in which people have gone into commercial photography? Here are some ways, I think. Please add!

-Friends who are in ad agencies gave chance
    -Constant editorial exposure
    -Cold calls/ emails to agencies (does this ever work?)
    -Hang around Zouk, make friends with potential clients if u have mutual friends and drink with them. Mad PR skills and thick skin very useful here.
    -Art/ photo exhibition of your work. (again, does this ever work??)

What are some other good ways to find work in commercial photography?

BTW the reason I'm asking this is I know a photog who already has a very decent portfolio which has garnered good feedback from industry people, but maybe coz he's a new photog (but has assisted for years) and they already have their regular photogs, they don't give him jobs? He has already done some small budget though not small brand jobs for small agencies. He's still open to these types but can't be doing that forever. So we're wondering how to get him jobs from maybe the mid-size agencies.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    feeling sad to see your friend encountered. i do realized nowaday photographer value are degraded like **** in singapore..many stupid bosses took our job for granted (which i ever encountered lately). they look out for best and cheapest deal in town, yet they only took good care about their client and their own pocket. this kind of ppl very disgusting.

well, i guess you are right. PR is very important in this small singapore market, your friend maybe good but he probably lack of some lucks and connection.

probably he got to be more deligent to knock few more door....and "wear spec" to find the right boss, don be like me.

kim
    KIM & PPY
    Black Camp F100,D90, AFD 35mm f2.0, Voigtlander Cosina 58mm Nokton Classic F1.4.