Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any sugguestion for good restaurant in SG

Default Re: Any sugguestion for good restaurant in SG

Quote Originally Posted by SoulXion View Post
    Need some help here
    My wife's relative from Taiwan coming to Singapore this weekend & staying @ Raffles Hotel
    Anyone got any sugguestion for any good & not so expensive(below $50 per person cos they got 7 person & I'm not so rich ) restaurant for dining in sg?
    As I know Taiwan already got lot's of good food and most of them taste even better than sg, so very hard to find a suitable restaurant for them.
    Go to any HDB food centres.... not food court and not Newton or China Town

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    if i am not wrong there is a no signboard at esplanade as well

how about chatterbox - for chicken rice
    chatterbox@Mandarin hotel is too exp for a chicken rice, which I will definitely won't go
    but heard from my wife that last time when they came to singapore, they already eaten that already

top 10 local favs

Chilli crab
    Hainanese chicken rice
    Satay
    Laksa
    Bak kut teh
    Roti prata and teh tarik
    Rojak
    Fish head curry
    Char kway teow
    Fried carrot cake
    Most of them my favs also

if i am not wrong there is a no signboard at esplanade as well

how about chatterbox - for chicken rice
    Please hor.......Chatterbox for chicken rice is RUBBISH. There are so many better ones out there than this super duper ex chicken rice.

There is are 2 chicken rice shops along Purvis Street which is far more superior than the Chatterbox.

Geylang "No Signboard Seafood" still offers the tastiest crab among all the other branches.

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto View Post
    Good chinese resturant that i loved (in no particular order):

1. Grand Asia (Odeon tower)
    2. Lei Garden (CHIJMES)
    3. Zhou's Kitchen (Achorpoint)

All serving cantonese food.

$50 per head. 10 person = $500.. Can eat a lot of good food..
    I don't think $50 per head is enough if you go to Lei Garden. Lei Garden is quite ex.

If u dont like seafood (Taiwan got plenty) and typical Chinese cuisine, can also consider Heng Hua cuisine, not too expensive, not spicy and very different from other Chinese food. The one I go regularly is Pu Tien at Kitchener Road, no car also can.
    http://www.putien.com/menu.htm

Best place to bring them is to 2 restaurants - one at UOB Plaza Si Chuan Do Hua which has a super view as it's on the top floor or another branch Park Royal Beach Road which is a cosy and nice place. You can indulge their tea as they have tea house on both branches.

They are having a great dimsum menu - Serving 100 Dimsums (including a few desserts) for $38.00 ++

It's available even on weekends and public holidays.

Ka Soh @ Amoy Street.

Good and not-so-pricey cantonese dishes.

Patronised by many famous foreign personalities.

After that, stroll to Lao Pa Sat (as you mentioned) for supper

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Please hor.......Chatterbox for chicken rice is RUBBISH. There are so many better ones out there than this super duper ex chicken rice.
    That's what I was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by desmondnwj View Post
    Ka Soh @ Amoy Street.

Good and not-so-pricey cantonese dishes.

Patronised by many famous foreign personalities.

After that, stroll to Lao Pa Sat (as you mentioned) for supper
    I second this. Good idea. Lots of old shophouses, nice architecture and history to that area. Or take a walk along Ann Siang Hill after that.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    You're the first person I've met who prefers Jumbo over No Signboard.

Well, technically I haven't met you, but you know what I mean.
    Actually he is right. Not technically but it's true.

Jumbo has improved not by leaps and bound but definately on par with No Signboard Seafood Geylang branch.

I am a regular at Jumbo and No Signboard Seafood.

Bear in mind eating seafood needs to use many fingers, its messy and some visitors may not like it. Unless some high class restaurants where they have waiters and waitresses to help each guest to pill off the seafood shells....

Actually he is right. Not technically but it's true.

Jumbo has improved not by leaps and bound but definately on par with No Signboard Seafood Geylang branch.

I am a regular at Jumbo and No Signboard Seafood.
    Perhaps I should give Jumbo a try again after all these years.

Then again, for crab, I usually go to Mellben at AMK.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Bear in mind eating seafood needs to use many fingers, its messy and some visitors may not like it. Unless some high class restaurants where they have waiters and waitresses to help each guest to pill off the seafood shells....
    Defeats the purpose of eating seafood for me.

Maybe I'm just not atas enough.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    I beg to differ. Zhou's kitchen's portion are miserable.... I had dinner there with my parents and their portions looked like it was meant for 1 person... We had to eat a second dinner after that.
    Agreed that Zhou's kitchen portion is not the biggest. But that is the concept of the resturant. It featured dishes that the zhous like and it more like a "shi fang cai" (private home dishes) concept.

I don't think $50 per head is enough if you go to Lei Garden. Lei Garden is quite ex.
    Enough if you know what to order.

If your guests don't mind indian food, you can bring them to little India, you can bring them to Sri Kamalas opposite Tekka Market, it is air conditioned, very multi racial as all races go there to eat and they even have a PRC waiter now!

However I think you better find out from you wife, exactly what your guests are expecting and their characters. If they are expecting to try local food and local environments then you are safe in bringing them to hawker centres etc. On the other hand if they are the atas type, must eat restaurant, everything must be served nice nice..... then honestly just bring them to a nice air conditioned restaurant will do.... no point letting them try local food at hawker centre as they might just find the whole experience "dirty"

top 10 local favs

Chilli crab
    Hainanese chicken rice
    Satay
    Laksa
    Bak kut teh
    Roti prata and teh tarik
    Rojak
    Fish head curry
    Char kway teow
    Fried carrot cake
    Don't Forget the DURIANS!!

I entertain Taiwanese once in a while. And their favorite is seafood plus hard liquor.

It really depends if your relatives are businessmen type or the carefree leisure type. Whatever the case, several Taiwanese businessmen or friends I know of hated buffet. Taiwanese love to talk as a group and when one speaks, you have a few people going round get more food. In the end, a buffet to them is an eat and eat meaningless session with no room for gan bei or chit chat.

Bring them to a good restaurant that serves local food. Be advised that not all foreigners can take local (hawker) hygiene and so it may end up as food poisoning.

Chicken rice? May not be an all time fav by Taiwanese as Singapore most chicken meat (from chicken rice stalls) are barely 75% cooked. Some semi-raw portions can contain quite abit of bacteria which only locals has the immunity to fight.

Think of food safety more than an episode to dip your Taiwanese relatives to an adventurous exotic food paradise.

Restaurant cleanliness is indicated right at the front of the shop. You will see A, B, C or D grading. Both A & B gradings are quite acceptable.
    Last edited by contaxable; 16th July 2008 at 11:18 PM.

I've never failed to impress my overseas visitors, from East to West on Peranakan food and culture. Only problem, it's too rich.

Try "Peramakan" at Keppel Country Club, Level 3. Weekends are always full, booking essential.
    just1book, no kidding!

dunno if the same chef is still there or not.... i think 2 got fired for fighting there... end up one kena chopped and hospitalised and staff got slashed too... my aunt is the housekeeper of the club there...

Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    dunno if the same chef is still there or not.... i think 2 got fired for fighting there... end up one kena chopped and hospitalised and staff got slashed too... my aunt is the housekeeper of the club there...
    The staff have since recovered, the culprit was jailed. Business is booming. The chef and owner are Katherine and Kelvin (was injured too), great husband and wife team.

Started with a small shop in Joo Chiat and got invited to operated this restaurant in the Keppel Country Club. The style of cooking is simply superb. $200 for 7 with loose change, plus another $50 for the desserts, die-die must try.
    just1book, no kidding!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12