Thread: Electromagnetic Field effects on camera storage

Default Electromagnetic Field effects on camera storage

The manual says not to store near appliances that generates strong electromagnetic fields, such as television and radios.

How about computers and LCD monitors? To my understanding these produces strong electromagnetic fields too.

My dry box is actually kept at the PC desk compartment, below my CPU and diagonally to my LCD monitor. The top of the drybox is about 8 inches from the base of the CPU, the camera itself when placed in the drybox will be about 1 feet from the base of the CPU.

I was thinking it should be ok but I am not sure so if there are some knowledgeable people who knows, please kindly enlighten me.

Default Re: Electromagnetic Field effects on camera storage

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    The manual says not to store near appliances that generates strong electromagnetic fields, such as television and radios.

How about computers and LCD monitors? To my understanding these produces strong electromagnetic fields too.

My dry box is actually kept at the PC desk compartment, below my CPU and diagonally to my LCD monitor. The top of the drybox is about 8 inches from the base of the CPU, the camera itself when placed in the drybox will be about 1 feet from the base of the CPU.

I was thinking it should be ok but I am not sure so if there are some knowledgeable people who knows, please kindly enlighten me.
    HI, I started out my carreer as an Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) engineer. I spent about 7 years in it. My job was to ensure that the products that my company produced met the EMC regulations of various countries. Generally, most COuntries adopt FCC (US) and CE (EU) EMC standards. ONLY when your product meets the requirement that you can carry the FCC and CE logo on the product. You should be able to located these logos on most electronic equipment, LCD panels, DSLR cameras, ipods etc..

So, these regulations govern the amount of Electromagnetic radiation that your product emits AND if your product carries a CE mark, it will guarantee your product's immunity level towards electromagnetic radiation. FCC just guarantees that it's not emitting more than x level of radiation.

I think the precaution is more of a liability clause that the manufacturer has included just incase there are some users who decides to do LONG TERM storage of electronic next to electronic equipment. I think that long term exposure to EM radiation will have some impact on sensor performance. But I am thinking that we are talking about real long term.

Your camera should be relatively save from EM radiation, since reputable companies have already built in measures on reducing EM radiation and your product should have been designned to be immune towards certain level of EM radiation.

Hope that this helps.

haha froglah .. your reply sounded like it came out from support help desk :P

Quote Originally Posted by janesis View Post
    haha froglah .. your reply sounded like it came out from support help desk :P
    What he actually mean is that if you are really concern.. then you should not be putting your HP anywhere near your cam neither can you bring your cam to places that you HP detects full signal coverage, neither can you bring your cams to places installed with wi-fi.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLAH View Post
    HI, I started out my carreer as an Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) engineer. I spent about 7 years in it. My job was to ensure that the products that my company produced met the EMC regulations of various countries. Generally, most COuntries adopt FCC (US) and CE (EU) EMC standards. ONLY when your product meets the requirement that you can carry the FCC and CE logo on the product. You should be able to located these logos on most electronic equipment, LCD panels, DSLR cameras, ipods etc..

So, these regulations govern the amount of Electromagnetic radiation that your product emits AND if your product carries a CE mark, it will guarantee your product's immunity level towards electromagnetic radiation. FCC just guarantees that it's not emitting more than x level of radiation.

I think the precaution is more of a liability clause that the manufacturer has included just incase there are some users who decides to do LONG TERM storage of electronic next to electronic equipment. I think that long term exposure to EM radiation will have some impact on sensor performance. But I am thinking that we are talking about real long term.

Your camera should be relatively save from EM radiation, since reputable companies have already built in measures on reducing EM radiation and your product should have been designned to be immune towards certain level of EM radiation.

Hope that this helps.
    Actually... does FCC or CE define EM emission control or does it include EM protection as well?

Is there a EM protection standard thingy where product designs are required to follow?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLAH View Post

Hope that this helps.
    Thank you very much for the most informative reply.

Well I don't have much space, so I guess this position is pretty much fixed, does this qualifies as long term?

BTW The dry cabinet itself is a metal box already. That should provide its contents some amount of protection from magnetic fields right? (From what I read in regards to anti magnetic watches worn by pilots; watch movement are encased in steel and soft iron case)

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Actually... does FCC or CE define EM emission control or does it include EM protection as well?

Is there a EM protection standard thingy where product designs are required to follow?
    THere are many methods to design for EM control. EMC engineers will start from electrical board design to reduce EM radiation. And this has been a well studied subject that many books have been written on how to design an EM friendly electrical board. If that doesn't work, we will throw in external fixes like ferrite cores and/or shielding. That bulge in all the monitor cable (between PC and monitor, that is a ferrite core.)

So if you are asking, is there a standard that says your product must have this this and this..then the answer is no. The standards does say that your product EM level MUST not exceed this X level. It does not control how one choose to meet those levels.

Hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by FrogLAH; 15th July 2008 at 09:33 PM.

Thank you very much for the most informative reply.

Well I don't have much space, so I guess this position is pretty much fixed, does this qualifies as long term?

BTW The dry cabinet itself is a metal box already. That should provide its contents some amount of protection from magnetic fields right? (From what I read in regards to anti magnetic watches worn by pilots; watch movement are encased in steel and soft iron case)
    Yes, the metallic cabinet shall provide the necessary shielding and so does the metallic chassis of your PC.

Colour CRT TV = strong magnetic fields. Radios = refers to transmitters (note that handphones are radio transmitters).

How about computers and LCD monitors?
    Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Colour CRT TV = strong magnetic fields. Radios = refers to transmitters (note that handphones are radio transmitters).

Harmless.

Thats' great to hear!!! Yes!