Thread: Stofen Ommibounce and Gary Fong Lightsphere versus the cheaper replicas?

Default Stofen Ommibounce and Gary Fong Lightsphere versus the cheaper replicas?

I am wondering which ones to buy for events photography.

The real Stofen and Lightsphere which are both quite expensive.

Or just get from Tago Tech the replica Stofen cap and the Lambency.

I got the feeling they all are as good its just the brand name thingy.

Advise is appreciated, thanx in advance.

Default Re: Stofen Ommibounce and Gary Fong Lightsphere versus the cheaper replicas?

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post

all of these work very well in a enclose place, not so tall ceiling and with walls, so the light able to bounce back to your subjects.

if your events is held at outdoor or indoor open space, all these device has little usage.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Default Re: Stofen Ommibounce and Gary Fong Lightsphere versus the cheaper replicas?

recently i bought a cheap replica ommibounce.. works fine

Quote Originally Posted by Yongs View Post
    recently i bought a cheap replica ommibounce.. works fine
    how much u bought? and where?

Say what you like, but I find the rubber band and index card method is still the best! In real use, you can hardly tell the difference between the different types of flash diffusers....
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post

Depends on whether you are being commissioned to do the photography or not. If it's for pleasure then I say save the bits and go for the replicas. They are almost as good as the orginals. If commissioned or otherwise expected to have certain equipments, I would say go for the real deal.

You don't want a another amateur photographer with a Gary Fong standing besides you looking at your Lambancy, do you? =)

Double post ..
    Last edited by fabianaino; 15th July 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post
    Depends on whether you are being commissioned to do the photography or not. If it's for pleasure then I say save the bits and go for the replicas. They are almost as good as the orginals. If commissioned or otherwise expected to have certain equipments, I would say go for the real deal.

You don't want a another amateur photographer with a Gary Fong standing besides you looking at your Lambancy, do you? =)
    gotta agree with that. while yes, it can sometimes be difficult to tell between a DIY bounce card and a 'proper' sphere/whale tail whatever, impressions do count for something... and most non-photographers will judge you on that unfortunately. esp if it's at a wedding or something when most will not see the final product!

Non-photographers are not going to care. All you need is a seriously large honkin' setup. You can be using the D3 with a large but crappy Sigma flash and some junky Tamron/Sigma 12-20000mm lens and that's all you need to impress them.

i think it is all the brand thing that goes with any other products. like some girls dont wear a fake LV bag out even when most of us cant tell, because they are not comfortable with it themselves.

i own a geninue stofen omnibounce and i seriously felt i got chop big time for paying that bucks for a piece of plastic that looks exactly like my lunch box hahahaha.

Being the cheapo I am, I'll go for the replicas..
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

I ordered the Tago Tech flash cap and the Lambency liao, thanx for your help.

I am a beginer on a budget, so I guess its better this way.

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee View Post
    Non-photographers are not going to care. All you need is a seriously large honkin' setup. You can be using the D3 with a large but crappy Sigma flash and some junky Tamron/Sigma 12-20000mm lens and that's all you need to impress them.
    Don't even need D3 la. . . an entry level body + batt grip impressive enough.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    all of these work very well in a enclose place, not so tall ceiling and with walls, so the light able to bounce back to your subjects.

if your events is held at outdoor or indoor open space, all these device has little usage.
    nt very true from my experience...
    i used the Lambency for an event and also outdoor shoot as well.. if u have the top dome on, its able to spread light around u and throw some forward.. i got some good results... lighting is nice n soft as well...
    Pentax K100D Super

Quote Originally Posted by adiknaim View Post
    nt very true from my experience...
    i used the Lambency for an event and also outdoor shoot as well.. if u have the top dome on, its able to spread light around u and throw some forward.. i got some good results... lighting is nice n soft as well...
    depends how close your subjects....

anyway, I shot this for fun

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio