Thread: Help evaluating scan from negative

yizen
    Guests

Default Help evaluating scan from negative

Hi everyone,

Would like to ask some help to evaluate the quality of the scans I got from Color Photo Lab at The Adelphi.

I requested for a "16 base" scan, which gives a 3360x2240 image. The film I used was Fuji Superia X-Tra 400. I've put a sample below.

The small version (scaled down using Batch Thumbs) is here:

http://www.stargazing.net/yizen/F1050025Small.jpg (200KB)

The original version is here:

http://www.stargazing.net/yizen/F1050025.jpg (3.1MB)

The image looks very noisy. I do not believe this is due to the grain because the prints from the negatives from the same lab (Color Photo Lab) looks very fine. Also I believe the X-Tra 400 is known to be quite a fine grain film for ISO 400?

What do people here say? I'd probably send it back to Color Photo Lab and ask for a re-scan, since I paid a lot of money for these scans. I hope they provide good enough service that they would be willing to do re-scans.

Thanks for any inputs and suggestions!

Yi-Zen

I think its too grainy oso.. superia 400 is not dat grainy..

The prints may look fine, but you still have to check your neg first. View it under a loupe on a light panel. If the neg is having very bad grain because it is under_develop or under_expose, no matter how many times they scan for you, the results will be the same.
    Last edited by jasonpgc; 11th July 2003 at 01:23 PM.

I used Superia 400 X-tra alot and I had scanned them using my own film scanner. It is definitely not that grainy. I don't think that it is a processing or under-exposure problem as this film will show some color shift if underexposed.

Some labs oversharpen their scans and it seems that this is so. A few months ago, I had sent to a lab (new, testing them out) that goes thru' the Kodak hybrid machine (not Frontier) and all the prints look like this. When I scanned the negs, they look fine.

If they insist that they had done it properly, I can help you scan an image as proof.

Pegasus
    Guests

Default Re: Help evaluating scan from negative

Originally posted by yizen
    [B]Hi everyone,
    I requested for a "16 base" scan, which gives a 3360x2240 image. The film I used was Fuji Superia X-Tra 400. I've put a sample below.
    The image looks very noisy. I do not believe this is due to the grain because the prints from the negatives from the same lab (Color Photo Lab) looks very fine. Also I believe the X-Tra 400 is known to be quite a fine grain film for ISO 400?

What do people here say? I'd probably send it back to Color Photo Lab and ask for a re-scan, since I paid a lot of money for these scans. I hope they provide good enough service that they would be willing to do re-scans.
    Yeah, I do notice that the standards for Color Photo Lab has dropped in recent times. Charging $1 for 1880x1224 scan and $2.50 for 3440x2880 scan, it's quite expensive.

Yes, I do find your photo to be grainly. Maybe the lady decided to do some"sharpening" on your scan? First is to go down to the lab and ask the uncle to take a look. Don't ask the ladies, they know next to nothing.

I've got a few high res (BMP format) scans done from ColourLab. The films were reala (EI80) and NPH (EI250). The scans were excessively grainy. When I scanned them using my old Minolta scan dual-II the scans were much smoother. I thought it may be a problem with their scan workflow. When I gave it to KC labs for a scan, the results were equally bad. I've given up on lab scans.

In comparison with Singapore labs, have a look at these guys here:
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=005TSi

yizen
    Guests

I went to Color Photo Lab today and their big screen had rather bad resolution so it was hard to tell the grain on the images. The lady suggested I make a 4R print from one of the images; I agreed. I guess I should bring my laptop there and show her the grain / noise using it.

Yi-Zen