Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How safe is photo-taking in Indonesia?

Originally posted by jasphotography
    passengers to their gangs to have the passengers slaughtered for their internal organs...

please tell me this isn't true...
    thought that this is more for india? heard of stories like that happening in india

Originally posted by Snowcrash

On a serious note, if you need to loan a mjuII, let me know.
    yeeee.... loan? Do you mean you charge interest?

Originally posted by bja
    thought that this is more for india? heard of stories like that happening in india
    If I remembered correctly from a "reliable" source, China GuangDong has this "trade" too. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by rty
    I myself experienced a couple of pickpocket attempts only in Jakarta but thankfully I had been conditioned to always be alert in public places including posh shopping malls.

They usually operate in a group of 4-5, so unless you are inside a mall with security guards around, it might not be worthy to fight them over a few $$ worth of stuffs. Some nave angmohs tried to fight them but only ended up being stabbed from the back (literally). There are of course some civic minded natives who might be brave enough to come to the rescue, but please ask yourself this: would you bet your life on it?

When walking and you know you are being followed closely, try making a fast U-turn and walk fast.

In a non-tourist area, when taking photos, don't stay at one place for too long. When I said tourists I mean international tourists, not local tourists. Just because the locals do it, doesn't mean it is safe for you to do so. One engineer from Singapore went to Jakarta and he was robbed in the morning when walking from the hotel to the office. When asked why he walked instead of taking a taxi, he said his other colleague "also walk wat". What he failed to realize is that his other colleague is a huge, 6-ft tall, dark-skin native with moustache, beard and an intimidating look, while the former was just an average skinny nerdy looking Ah-beng.

Just use your common sense. Try as much as possible to go out in a group. Keep a low profile. Be alert. Be street-smart. Enjoy yourself.
    thanks for your advice

If I remembered correctly from a "reliable" source, China GuangDong has this "trade" too. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    China does not need tourists. They have an ample supply from freshly executed criminals.

How do I know? No, not from the internet. I look after a couple of kidney transplant patients...

Originally posted by bja
    Hi jasphotography,

Just curious, which part of sumatra are you going?
    As stated above, I will be primarily stationed at Palembang and Jambi, South and central of Sumatra respectively.

Originally posted by bja

but you might want to try the trishaw (they call it bear-cak -> according to pronounciation but again it depends on which part of sumatra you are going again). Can bargain with the driver to say how much you offer....
    after what has been said about Indonesia, don't think I will want to bargain with them. Scarly, they stab me for bargaining...

Originally posted by bja

yea heard of stories about the taxis....
    Whose story? U mean mine about the taxi?

yeeee.... loan? Do you mean you charge interest?

Interest: your xpan

Originally posted by Snowcrash
    Interest: your xpan
    ... that I called day-light robbery or simply "kill people set fire" !

narr.... still inclined to bring my Xpan there!

Default Re: How safe is photo-taking in Indonesia?

Anyone from or have been to Sumatra, Indonesia ?

Am contemplating whether or not to shoot or even bring my camera gears there for the main sake of personal safety.

I will be primarily stationed at Palembang and Jambi, South and central of Sumatra respectively, both of which I don't know what to expect, be it photographically or day-light robbery.

Quick, I need your advice...
    looking 4ward to view yr work pieces

good luck mate

As stated above, I will be primarily stationed at Palembang and Jambi, South and central of Sumatra respectively.

after what has been said about Indonesia, don't think I will want to bargain with them. Scarly, they stab me for bargaining...

Whose story? U mean mine about the taxi?
    think palembang and jambi is not so bad.... don't have to worry so much lah....
    plus dun have to be afraid to bargain... just walk off if you don't like the price they give. If you show fear then it's even worse

ya your story abt the taxi but it's more like for females that they drive away to rape and kill them....

... that I called day-light robbery or simply "kill people set fire" !

narr.... still inclined to bring my Xpan there!
    That reminds me of childhood game:

"Your Money or Your Life?"

In your case.... "Your camera or your life?"

Hi everyone & especially snowcrash, thanks for agreeing to lend me your mju II but I am afraid I am already back from the trip to Sumatra. Yes, I am back, ALIVE & KICKING ...

No, I didn't bring my Xpan, borrowed a Canon A70 instead. Not much photo-taking opportunities anyway as it was a business trip.

My safety there??? Well, most, if not, all the time, I was guarded or protected by local officials... so I was very very safe. I didn't have the time to venture out to the street, so can't comment on street safety.

But still, an enriching experience and a eventful trip for me...

Indonesia has more than 13.000 islands. Just find the safest one for you to go

If you still don't dare enough to go, just relax.. sit down in front of you computer and enjoy their pictures here http://www.fotografer.net/isi/galeri...=1&katacari=10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12