Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick question about using M-mode

Default Re: Quick question about using M-mode

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    How much of the photographic population can look at a particular scene and instantly recognise it to be ISO100, f/11, 1/125s spot on?
    Definitely with the camera's metering. i think the estimation exposure rule only worked in the past because negative film was so forgiving. For the current digital crop, two stops off and the picture is pretty much gone case.

I think, it is not just using the M mode, but using it correctly. Cuz using the m mode, it is much easier to set the camera to take the pictures to your intent. I mean, some like it darker, some like to expose for the highlights. But using the M mode, is not the end all of taking a picture. One needs to understand the camera, and then overcome the camera limitations. Usually I use M mode with center weight metering, takes some of the guesswork out.

I train myself with a manual 85mm F1.8 lensand play arouund with aperture and shutter speeds
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

I started off using M.
    To find out that I need to spend some time adjusting the right settings and sometimes missing a shot.

These days, use AV for walk about (scenery, landscape etc..)
    I still use M for some specific shots that I have in mind.

Cheers!
    Dan

i am of the opinion that there is a time and place for all the settings on a camera. it's simply about becoming conversant to the point in which they become an aid and not a limitation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12