Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Money Do You Need in Singapore To Live Comfortable Nowadays?

Default Re: How Much Money Do You Need in Singapore To Live Comfortable Nowadays?

wow, the list just adds on...

looks like many spend so much of their income to live comfortable lifes now, little wonder some have little savings when retirement draws near. of course its seems soo far now yah?

not that i have sound financial planning....

Default Re: How Much Money Do You Need in Singapore To Live Comfortable Nowadays?

like everyones' been sayin.... food prices up, petrol up, transport up....
    everything but our salaries.... :<
    the rich can cope... the poor fight to stay alive... and the ones in between fight not to go under...

I think S$5000 a month including annual bonus would be ideal for living comfortably in such times of rising costs. Would be just right for those living in a HDB apartment, travels once or twice a year and pampers themselves every few months plus giving a bit to parents.

Paid like a minister, so that you won't be bother by any price hike, ERP, etc., etc....
    That will be perfect for comfortable life..

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Let's calculate the cost of living for a single working adult male living with parents in Singapore;

Meals : $10 x 30 days = $300
    Transport : $4 x 30 days = $120
    Shopping : Work shirt, pants $150 x 2 times a month = $300
    Clubbing/Geylang : $120 x 5 times a month = $600
    Give parents : $200 per month

Total : $1,520 a month

I haven't been working in Singapore for some time but I think this is the very basic, and I have inflated the amounts with some extras thrown in... So someone with a basic salary of S$1,600 should be able to live comfortably in Singapore, with some money to save - if you minus the shopping and the 'fun' activities, you'll save even more!

What I'm trying to illustrate is - Spend within your means.... and you'll be happy.
    I think you've left out the bills ...

whatever you think you need plus another 3000%

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTan89 View Post
    I think S$5000 a month including annual bonus would be ideal for living comfortably in such times of rising costs. Would be just right for those living in a HDB apartment, travels once or twice a year and pampers themselves every few months plus giving a bit to parents.
    this monthly pay is more towards ppl with more experience, nowadays got fresh grads being offered this pay...but must work overseas like in dubai, perm job somemore...

Yep

PUB
    TV
    Car park
    Income tax
    Singtel
    Singnet...

miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    I think you've left out the bills ...
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Yep

PUB
    TV
    Car park
    Income tax
    Singtel
    Singnet...

miss anything?
    Insurance premiums , can't do without that nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    you only comfortable when u feel you are. If not, even 100k a month still not good enough.
    Fully agreed with you

Now my household income is 5x more than where we were 10 years ago but I still find it hard to swallow the rising cost....I put it down to appetite change, requirement change and expectation change

3k might seems a lot for some in today's context but 10 years later you will feel stretched if factor in all the inflation and market adjustment

Yep

PUB
    TV
    Car park
    Income tax
    Singtel
    Singnet...

miss anything?
    with so many spa/massage shops, even at heartlands, i am sure this is one item you have missed ...
    always the Light, .... always.

When I graduated my 1.5k was very decent for a uni grad. This days, with the rising costs, housing, hobbies, dating costs etc, what does it cost to have a decent lifestyle locally, and what do you consider to be decent anyway?

- a holiday a year that requires flying?
    - new hi fi / camera / toy every half yearly?
    - a good meal each week?

Cheers
    the problem is comfort level increases with salary. once you go up to the next comfort level it is very hard to come back down.

Let's calculate the cost of living for a single working adult male living with parents in Singapore;

I haven't been working in Singapore for some time but I think this is the very basic, and I have inflated the amounts with some extras thrown in... So someone with a basic salary of S$1,600 should be able to live comfortably in Singapore, with some money to save - if you minus the shopping and the 'fun' activities, you'll save even more!

What I'm trying to illustrate is - Spend within your means.... and you'll be happy.
    wah..you must have lots of work pants and shirts

oh...your $1.6k is before or after cpf deduction?
    Last edited by madmacs; 14th July 2008 at 11:25 AM.

Blog Entries

when the situation around you changes, your lifestyle must also change to match the situation

1st is to list all the luxuries that you enjoy, these should be the 1st to go in hard times.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    when the situation around you changes, your lifestyle must also change to match the situation

1st is to list all the luxuries that you enjoy, these should be the 1st to go in hard times.
    All I ask for is a simple life, no need to work such hectic pace, 9-5 work, can bring home enuff to feed my wife and children, and still have enough to take care of my elderly parents, with or without car not a problem, better and affordable public transport, affordable public housing, more time for family, enuff to send my kids to school up to tertiary level, affordable medical services, some time for my hobby, ability to retire at 55, cycle to be repeated by my children...

...but, we can hardly cope even if both the couple is working. And we couldn't provide enuff support for our parents, and gahmen is encouraging the old man to work and fend for themselves, wife working cannot cook and some dun even noe how to cook, meals are oni 15mins settle at hawker, less communication among family members, work late everyday, bring home very little every month, public housing can cost as much as 20yrs-30yrs of ur annual income, work too hard get ill easily, stay hospital more expensive than staying hotel, public transport unable to handle the capacity and keep have fare hikes, too many unis, more grad students, not enuff grads jobs, pay suppressed,.... *sigh*
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

where's the budget for:
    - renting/pay monthly home instalment? (don't tell me you stay with your parent and only give them 1/3 of your geylang expenses budget, LOL)
    - pay bills
    - Tax (income tax, property tax, and so on)
    - Groceries (soap, shampoo, etc, tompang parent again huh? hahahaha)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    All I ask for is a simple life, no need to work such hectic pace, 9-5 work, can bring home enuff to feed my wife and children, and still have enough to take care of my elderly parents, with or without car not a problem, better and affordable public transport, affordable public housing, more time for family, enuff to send my kids to school up to tertiary level, affordable medical services, some time for my hobby, ability to retire at 55, cycle to be repeated by my children...

...but, we can hardly cope even if both the couple is working. And we couldn't provide enuff support for our parents, and gahmen is encouraging the old man to work and fend for themselves, wife working cannot cook and some dun even noe how to cook, meals are oni 15mins settle at hawker, less communication among family members, work late everyday, bring home very little every month, public housing can cost as much as 20yrs-30yrs of ur annual income, work too hard get ill easily, stay hospital more expensive than staying hotel, public transport unable to handle the capacity and keep have fare hikes, too many unis, more grad students, not enuff grads jobs, pay suppressed,.... *sigh*
    be creative and think out of the box

instead of saying "not enough money", think "how to make more money"
    or "how can i make my money work harder for me"
    Last edited by ortega; 14th July 2008 at 12:53 PM.

to start a family in singapore in singapore with lets say a 4 room hdb and 2 kids,

i think both the guy and gal must earn at least $5k each, that means total $10k/month

if not in singapore, i dunno how to get married.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Blog Entries

there are lots of cheaper alternatives to choose
    it is a question of lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    to start a family in singapore in singapore with lets say a 4 room hdb and 2 kids,

i think both the guy and gal must earn at least $5k each, that means total $10k/month

if not in singapore, i dunno how to get married.
    10K/month how to buy HDB?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

One thing a good friend taught me, it is harder to earn more, but easier to save more.
    I guess thats why I bought my first DSLR only last year after 20yrs of the hobby.

The government wants to know why we don't have enough babies, because everyone is fretting about the expenses and cost lof living in SG...
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast