Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: how to take photo of rainbow?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default how to take photo of rainbow?

    hi. anyone knows how to take a photo of a rainbow? even the faint ones?

  2. #2
    ClubSNAP Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP
    Posts
    667,073

    Default Re: how to take photo of rainbow?

    Originally posted by beivied
    hi. anyone knows how to take a photo of a rainbow? even the faint ones?

    errr, with a Camera

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    well....... try to meter on the rainbow or the part of the sky nearest to the rainbow so to get a proper exposure of the rainbow.

    Usually just do exposure bracketing and combine the shots.

    and of coz, that bit of luck

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default Re: Re: how to take photo of rainbow?

    Originally posted by Simon
    errr, with a Camera
    i take that as a joke cracked for pure fun....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Originally posted by SniperD
    well....... try to meter on the rainbow or the part of the sky nearest to the rainbow so to get a proper exposure of the rainbow.

    Usually just do exposure bracketing and combine the shots.

    and of coz, that bit of luck
    hmmm... okie.. lets hope there are more rainbows for me to try my hands on this weekend ^_^ thanks for the help!~

  6. #6

    Default

    gd luck. i took pics of a rainbow yesterday. Didnt turn out that good. U can view them here rainbow

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    To darken the colours of the rainbow, use a polarising filter.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Originally posted by blizzy
    gd luck. i took pics of a rainbow yesterday. Didnt turn out that good. U can view them here rainbow
    i think the photos are quite nice!!! especially with a couple just at the end of the rainbow.. nice!~~ mind if you share with me what equipment you used and the settings?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Originally posted by Ansel
    To darken the colours of the rainbow, use a polarising filter.
    is there a polarising filter for nikon f75?
    i myself am using c5050, but a friend who owns a f75 is also wanna take pics of rainbow...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    hmm... i was thinking, would it help if i bring the aperture to .. say... f8.0?

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by beivied
    i think the photos are quite nice!!! especially with a couple just at the end of the rainbow.. nice!~~ mind if you share with me what equipment you used and the settings?
    was using canon pro90is...
    settings. hmm. aperture 8(widest i have). Just focused on the rainbow, which was quite hard at times.... it blends in with the clouds. argh. cant remember if my circ pol was on yet....

  12. #12
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Originally posted by Ansel
    To darken the colours of the rainbow, use a polarising filter.
    but be careful not to eliminate the rainbow itself, cos the colors of the rainbow are basically "polarised" light themselves.

    It will also help to underexpose the shot slightly to bring out the colors and contrast.

    As for focusing, there's probably no need to focus as the "subject" will be at infinity anyway, or you may choose to focus on a nearer subject and use a smaller aperture to get greater DOF.

    caveat: i have never personally shot a magnificient rainbow, but have read and analysed enough to be able to offer "theory"

  13. #13

    Default

    i got an site for 'looking out for rainbow' kind of thing ... i will post tat link when i go back home ...

  14. #14
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default Re: how to take photo of rainbow?

    I have been hunting for a rainbow for months... Have you seen one lately...??

    Originally posted by beivied
    hi. anyone knows how to take a photo of a rainbow? even the faint ones?

  15. #15

    Default

    Underexposing a little will help increase the visibility of the rainbow. If a subject in the foreground is present, for example, people, I will meter the sky, and use a fill flash ( just switch on your flash ). My 2 cents.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Re: how to take photo of rainbow?

    Have seen two in the past month, but unfortunately, had access to a cam in only 1 of the situation
    As many of have said, a polariser does help, although it can eliminate it totally too ...

    ..NuTs..

    Originally posted by ivor
    I have been hunting for a rainbow for months... Have you seen one lately...??

  17. #17

    Default

    Originally posted by beivied
    is there a polarising filter for nikon f75?
    i myself am using c5050, but a friend who owns a f75 is also wanna take pics of rainbow...
    if i am not mistaken, the F75 is a film SLR camera, if so the mouting of the filter depends on the lenses and not on the camer itself. for true SLR, in general there will always be a thread size for it to mount the filter. =p

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Originally posted by West_ray
    i got an site for 'looking out for rainbow' kind of thing ... i will post tat link when i go back home ...
    thank you!~ will be waiting for your post...

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Originally posted by blizzy
    was using canon pro90is...
    settings. hmm. aperture 8(widest i have). Just focused on the rainbow, which was quite hard at times.... it blends in with the clouds. argh. cant remember if my circ pol was on yet....
    need circ polariser? how about normal polariser?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East, Singapore
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren
    but be careful not to eliminate the rainbow itself, cos the colors of the rainbow are basically "polarised" light themselves.

    It will also help to underexpose the shot slightly to bring out the colors and contrast.

    As for focusing, there's probably no need to focus as the "subject" will be at infinity anyway, or you may choose to focus on a nearer subject and use a smaller aperture to get greater DOF.

    caveat: i have never personally shot a magnificient rainbow, but have read and analysed enough to be able to offer "theory"

    i definitely need the theory now, hehehhee... thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •