Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Megapixels ? Pffft... your camera is already obsolete

Default Re: Megapixels ? Pffft... your camera is already obsolete

yup that is what we thought too. Actually I didn't buy it but it's a friend who bought it recently.

We were joking saying maybe the guy who printed the label on the thumbdrive didnt understand English and to them 160 gb and mb is the same thing... The symbols GB and MB is just a decoration.

Anyway we are still checking out how stable the thumbdrive really is.. wont have very high hopes to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by parampita View Post
    Man, if this is ever true it will be like how Toyota once turned away a young engineer called Ichiro Honda.
    you sensationalize too much la, and quoted out of context too.
    First, Soichira Honda was not really an engineer. (can you imagie what Honda would be like if he was?)
    Second, Toyota did not recruit staffs right after the war, but Soichiro wrote in anyway. Toyota did not 'turn away' Soichiro per se.

get your facts right before you quote as such.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    yup that is what we thought too. Actually I didn't buy it but it's a friend who bought it recently.

We were joking saying maybe the guy who printed the label on the thumbdrive didnt understand English and to them 160 gb and mb is the same thing... The symbols GB and MB is just a decoration.

Anyway we are still checking out how stable the thumbdrive really is.. wont have very high hopes to be honest.
    Probably same trick used on counterfeit memory cards. There is an index table on the storage device that says how much it can store (yes, oversimplifying things, tech folk may keep quiet now ).

Normally your computer should create a proper table at first format, however it's possible that poorly written or intentionally written software could easily write whatever it wants to the card. So a "4GB" card could really be a tiny 512MB thing.....but show up as 4GB. And since the computers trust the table to be correct, they'll let you write files to it.

A simple test: copy your entire photo archive to the card and then try copying it back or just browsing through the thumbnails in Explorer. The copy is quite likely to succeed. You need to read back the data to verify. Or try backing up your entire computer with the Windows backup utility and tell it to read back verify after it is done.

I'm guessing that you would probably only have to copy a few gigs of files (it wouldn't be cost-effective for them to actually supply the huge flash disks for such a thumbdrive) so you could quite easily find out its limitations. Some photogs have shot a "4GB" card full and gotten 512MB of images back. Or worse, none at all.

Still, glad you are amused by it rather than frustrated by believing it will actually hold 160GB

Alternatively you could just re-format it at its true capacity.. but there is no fun in that.

Haha nah Sloth, we never expected anything from the thumbdrive.... in fact I thought my friend was kidding me.... will try out what u said and keep u guys updated on the results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12