Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Puzzled

Default Re: Puzzled

Thanks Arthur, good to hear real life feedback... well guess i have to skip doing events and wedding for the time being...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    Thanks Arthur, good to hear real life feedback... well guess i have to skip doing events and wedding for the time being...
    Haha..still can shoot la... but don't have high expectations lor. But then again, this is only my 3rd experience shooting with Pentax for an indoor event. Each event has mixed results. So its could be my lousy noobs skills that holding back the full potential of the system.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

Quote Originally Posted by teruranse View Post
    hi art2d2... i am confused when you said you "jack up the iso to 1600". does you mean the camera itself or the flash? i juz gotten myself a AF-540FGZ and still figuring out how to use it? tks
    Yup as what eow mention, its on the camera, I increase the iso settings. The AF-540FGZ is definately a better flash than my AF-360FGZ. I can burst more and it recharge faster. Recommended if you are shooting events. Since you just got the flash, just try it out shooting people indoors using the PTTL first. You can do manual exposure adjustment on the flash, and try out the bounce and tilt feature too. Its all about trial and error.

I would like to share some of my experience on this as well. I have done an AD wedding for my friend with K100D, Sigma 18-200 and AF360, and two other weddings for fun just from where I was seated in the ballroom using Tamron 90mm, no flash.

For the evening portion of the AD wedding, I would say that I had just over 10% OOF, and a significant number of shots somewhat underexposed. This is very similar to what arthur had, so I guess Pentax hasn't changed much in this area between the K100D and K20D. I was shooting mostly in Av mode.

However, when I shot for fun from the tables, the outcome was actually better - almost no OOF, though exposure was still a bit under. I think the better AF accuracy was probably because I was mainly shooting the special events on stage (eg. speech, yam seng, etc) when everything was more well lit. The Tamron hunted a lot, but since there's no pressure to catch all "The Moments", I allowed it to hunt all it wanted until the AF locked.

I've played with some N and C stuff, and I think the conclusion is the same - if my livelihood as an events photographer depended on it, I wouldn't count on Pentax. But I'm not an events photographer, and Pentax still appeals to me in so many other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    However, when I shot for fun from the tables, the outcome was actually better - almost no OOF, though exposure was still a bit under.
    Thanks for sharing Gengh. I'm guessing easier to shot from table cause you are not taking close-up shots, so more space around for Pentax to focus on the subject. Cause I experience harder AF when u try to take close-up portrait shots, but when u zoom out a bit more you can get accurate AF. Anyone experienced so?

stupid question ignored.
    Last edited by zoomzoomzoom; 29th July 2008 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Thanks for sharing Gengh. I'm guessing easier to shot from table cause you are not taking close-up shots, so more space around for Pentax to focus on the subject. Cause I experience harder AF when u try to take close-up portrait shots, but when u zoom out a bit more you can get accurate AF. Anyone experienced so?
    Yes, I think the distance played a part too. Since the subject is far away, the DOF is also larger. So minor inaccuracies in AF won't make a difference. I think close up AF is just harder (whether in good or bad lighting) because of the finer precision needed.

I experience this once last night, the time when shooting a lady with her young daughter. The lady have to kneel down so both mother and daughter is about the same height. They were about less than 2 feet away from me, I zoom in with my 16-50 to have a landscape portrait crop. Took 2 shots, on the LCD it looks ok, didn't really have time to have a closer look. After I downloaded into my computer, both shots were a bit OOF. The camera somehow focus on a person standing behind the lady. I remember specifically I focus on the lady's eyes before recomposing the shot, the same thing I did for the other 100+ shots. Most other wide group shots are in perfect focus.
    Last edited by art2d2; 24th July 2008 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by art2d2 View Post
    Yup as what eow mention, its on the camera, I increase the iso settings. The AF-540FGZ is definately a better flash than my AF-360FGZ. I can burst more and it recharge faster. Recommended if you are shooting events. Since you just got the flash, just try it out shooting people indoors using the PTTL first. You can do manual exposure adjustment on the flash, and try out the bounce and tilt feature too. Its all about trial and error.
    tks for the help art2d2... so mostly for the af540fgz the mode should be p-ttl? i have tried a few shots but mostly the flash showed only ttl and not p-ttl... does it automatically switch between the two or have to be manually set?

btw to all pentaxian perhaps we can arranged for a flash photography for our next outing?

Quote Originally Posted by teruranse View Post
    tks for the help art2d2... so mostly for the af540fgz the mode should be p-ttl? i have tried a few shots but mostly the flash showed only ttl and not p-ttl... does it automatically switch between the two or have to be manually set?

btw to all pentaxian perhaps we can arranged for a flash photography for our next outing?
    As long as you are using KxxD or KxxxD series, it should depend P-TTL after u focus with the camera. TTL only appear when u use a non-A lens (no contact). If you intend to bounce ur flash, try using A or M mode, where u manually set the power of the flash.

Edit: Try go on any Pentax gathering and ask the old birds for hands on. I think one of the bro trying to organise a studio workshop, should try attend that also. In Sept, if time permits, I may organise a basic P-TTL strobist workshop.
    Last edited by longko; 25th July 2008 at 10:21 AM.

As long as you are using KxxD or KxxxD series, it should depend P-TTL after u focus with the camera. TTL only appear when u use a non-A lens (no contact). If you intend to bounce ur flash, try using A or M mode, where u manually set the power of the flash.

Edit: Try go on any Pentax gathering and ask the old birds for hands on. I think one of the bro trying to organise a studio workshop, should try attend that also. In Sept, if time permits, I may organise a basic P-TTL strobist workshop.
    tks again for your reply and answer... will try to practice and shoot more... looking forward for your basic p-ttl strobist workshop...

I wonder if Pentax should change the AF assist system. It is not very effective. Once at a D&D I aim at the person's face and it took 2 tries to get a lock. The red AF beam was strobing away but couldnt get a lock. Maybe they should make it stronger?
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123