Thread: Matthew and The Mandarins

Default Matthew and The Mandarins

I wonder how many CS members remember this Country and Western Band who, I believe, are still playing at the Hotel Negara. They were popular during the 1980's oil boom when many American oil riggers were stationed in Singapore and the band provided them with nostalgic country music. Sadly, today, there are an almost forgotten local talent except to die-hard country fans. They even cut an album of popular country and western songs on the EMI Singapore label titled "The Very Best of Matthew and The Mandarins".

Does anyone have a copy of this CD willing to sell it? I have checked with EMI Singapore and they said they no longer issue the album. I have also checked with most of the CD shops in Singapore (the major stores) and they either don't have it or never heard of the band. Sigh....

Can anyone help?

Default Re: Matthew and The Mandarins

How about approaching the band directly?

Thanks Dream Merchant. I did, when I went to listen to them a few years ago at Hotel Negara but sadly they also don't have any more.

singapore cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by hope107fm View Post
    I wonder how many CS members remember this Country and Western Band who, I believe, are still playing at the Hotel Negara. They were popular during the 1980's oil boom when many American oil riggers were stationed in Singapore and the band provided them with nostalgic country music. Sadly, today, there are an almost forgotten local talent except to die-hard country fans. They even cut an album of popular country and western songs on the EMI Singapore label titled "The Very Best of Matthew and The Mandarins".

Does anyone have a copy of this CD willing to sell it? I have checked with EMI Singapore and they said they no longer issue the album. I have also checked with most of the CD shops in Singapore (the major stores) and they either don't have it or never heard of the band. Sigh....

Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by hope107fm View Post
    Thanks Dream Merchant. I did, when I went to listen to them a few years ago at Hotel Negara but sadly they also don't have any more.
    Hmm ... back then (late 70s, early 80s), it was after the era of 45 singles, and before most people could afford 12" LPs, so I guess 8 track tapes and later, compact cassettes were the most popular medium. Even if you got your hands on one of those, chances are, it wouldn't be playable, or playable, but sound really horrible.

All the best in your search.

i think someone in echoloft forum selling the LP...maybe can do a search

the Library@Esplanade may have a copy...u wanna give it a check perhaps...
    My Photo Gallery : Optimus Photo

Yes, Library@Esplanade has a copy. I've listened to it and liked all the songs. Unfortunately, for copyright reasons the disc cannot be borrowed. What I'm really looking for is someone to sell the disc. I've checked e-bay - no luck either. Will check echoloft forum. Thanks