Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

tic is too ex...and i have no holidays for that because university of melb do not count that as holiday. But I am tempted to go... however, since we won't be able to take horses....then...i'll give it a miss

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenphoenix View Post
    tic is too ex...and i have no holidays for that because university of melb do not count that as holiday. But I am tempted to go... however, since we won't be able to take horses....then...i'll give it a miss
    You can go on the 3 other race days, that is, Crown Oaks Day, Derby Day, Emirates Stakes Day, if the names haven't been changed since previous years. The tickets to these days is cheaper than the Melbourne Cup Day.

You probably can't/won't have access to any place that would permit you to shoot horses racing. However, there is a track/path where the horses are walked to the assembly / prize-giving area and actual racecourse where you could shoot them since they are quite close. You could also photograph the horses as they are led back to their stables.

I don't know about you, or others, but I wouldn't be there for the horses. Australia is a Caucasian haven, and I would be there shooting Caucasians, and if I'm shameless enough after many beers, be mingling and networking.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 28th October 2008 at 10:20 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    Haha....will be going to a camp out on Great Ocean Rd that weekend, so guess meet up is out. Perhaps the next weekend.
    can camp out there? sorry haven't been there but would like to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela View Post
    You can go on the 3 other race days, that is, Crown Oaks Day, Derby Day, Emirates Stakes Day, if the names haven't been changed since previous years. The tickets to these days is cheaper than the Melbourne Cup Day.

You probably can't/won't have access to any place that would permit you to shoot horses racing. However, there is a track/path where the horses are walked to the assembly / prize-giving area and actual racecourse where you could shoot them since they are quite close. You could also photograph the horses as they are led back to their stables.

I don't know about you, or others, but I wouldn't be there for the horses. Australia is a Caucasian haven, and I would be there shooting Caucasians, and if I'm shameless enough after many beers, be mingling and networking.
    Heard that Oak's day traditionally has fashion competition for best dressed and designs. It's kind of tempting to go to shoot but with the stacks of pics crying to be processed. I'm trying to refrain myself from shooting these days...taking too long to process them. lol. I haven't even started to do the sg day's. Maybe I should start on those that are my fav and send to sg day.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    can camp out there? sorry haven't been there but would like to go there.
    Some camp sites near Geelong. I think it is a caravan park. Not very sure. Just following the group.

Heard that Oak's day traditionally has fashion competition for best dressed and designs. It's kind of tempting to go to shoot but with the stacks of pics crying to be processed. I'm trying to refrain myself from shooting these days...taking too long to process them. lol. I haven't even started to do the sg day's. Maybe I should start on those that are my fav and send to sg day.
    Are you processing event photos? I think most people don't process event photos because they aren't worth the trouble since they are not cheoreographed/directed/styled images of creativity. I share that sentiment. As long as the event photo is correctly exposed and focused, and well composed, that's all good.

For me, I have grown sick of introducing my "wife" as Canon EOS, and my "lover" as Photoshop. These 2 "women" consume too much of precious time when all the time could be better spent elsewhere, I feel.

Still, if you like and must process, I would still encourage you to go to Melbourne Cup because of the opportunity that only happens once a year.

Are you processing event photos? I think most people don't process event photos because they aren't worth the trouble since they are not cheoreographed/directed/styled images of creativity. I share that sentiment. As long as the event photo is correctly exposed and focused, and well composed, that's all good.

For me, I have grown sick of introducing my "wife" as Canon EOS, and my "lover" as Photoshop. These 2 "women" consume too much of precious time when all the time could be better spent elsewhere, I feel.

Still, if you like and must process, I would still encourage you to go to Melbourne Cup because of the opportunity that only happens once a year.
    I agree... I'm still a beginner. From processing the pictures, I only realise that the pics can be more accurately exposed and focused (the focus performance is not constant - inaccurate under poor lighting). Particularly in framing the pics....brain don't work as fast when framing. Most process works are on exposure, highlights, shadows and noise removal. Lol...My gf is getting jealous of my 'lover'...lol. I think I should just process those that I like and leave the others alone...

Hmmm.....buying the entrance tic....or saving for my lenses....hmmm.....tough decision...lol

I agree... I'm still a beginner. From processing the pictures, I only realise that the pics can be more accurately exposed and focused (the focus performance is not constant - inaccurate under poor lighting). Particularly in framing the pics....brain don't work as fast when framing. Most process works are on exposure, highlights, shadows and noise removal. Lol...My gf is getting jealous of my 'lover'...lol. I think I should just process those that I like and leave the others alone...

Hmmm.....buying the entrance tic....or saving for my lenses....hmmm.....tough decision...lol
    The entrance ticket is only a fraction of your lens price tag. For the kind of opportunities there at Melbourne Cup, waiting for another year to shoot Melbourne Cup images could be costly. Who knows? If you went there this year, shamelessly networked, you could be shooting Caucasians portraits by start of 2009.

Since I repair cameras and lenses, I would say that your current gear is possibly not what you would be happy with. I can't say too much openly/publicly because I could be sued.

hi there, great to see a bunch of clubsnappers in melbourne! i might be going over to melbourne next year for studies, just like to find out if there are any camera stores that you might want to recommend there and if the prices are comparable to Singapore's? thanks alot
    Fuji.
    flickr

The entrance ticket is only a fraction of your lens price tag. For the kind of opportunities there at Melbourne Cup, waiting for another year to shoot Melbourne Cup images could be costly. Who knows? If you went there this year, shamelessly networked, you could be shooting Caucasians portraits by start of 2009.

Since I repair cameras and lenses, I would say that your current gear is possibly not what you would be happy with. I can't say too much openly/publicly because I could be sued.
    U're right... I'm still quite restricted by the lenses I have...just that I have another 2 lenses to get before becoming moderately satisfied. lol. U're poisoning me...feeling so tempted to go. Do you shoot their portraits for free? the networking is tempting too

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
    hi there, great to see a bunch of clubsnappers in melbourne! i might be going over to melbourne next year for studies, just like to find out if there are any camera stores that you might want to recommend there and if the prices are comparable to Singapore's? thanks alot
    get ur gear back in sg..it's ex here

U're right... I'm still quite restricted by the lenses I have...just that I have another 2 lenses to get before becoming moderately satisfied. lol. U're poisoning me...feeling so tempted to go. Do you shoot their portraits for free? the networking is tempting too
    Actually, what I wanted to say was that some photographic products aren't as good as they are said/promoted to be. As an example, some lenses, even those that may be labelled "L", "EX" or whatever beautiful abbreviations, may not be as good as you think they are.

At work, my company has tools to display/measure lens (optical) resolution, vignetting, etc., as opposed to photographers attempting to get these "measurements" by shooting images which are processed into JPEG/TIFF.

I can't be too specific in the open.

Deregistered

anyone want to go great ocean rd for photography session sometime in december?

Actually, what I wanted to say was that some photographic products aren't as good as they are said/promoted to be. As an example, some lenses, even those that may be labelled "L", "EX" or whatever beautiful abbreviations, may not be as good as you think they are.

At work, my company has tools to display/measure lens (optical) resolution, vignetting, etc., as opposed to photographers attempting to get these "measurements" by shooting images which are processed into JPEG/TIFF.

I can't be too specific in the open.
    Agree with u.... as long the lenses do what I want....is more important.

Btw, does ur company do ccd cleaning? I have dust particles on my view finder...probably that dust bunny is at the mirror or view finder itself...sigh~

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    anyone want to go great ocean rd for photography session sometime in december?
    I don't mind going..if i'm available...

Agree with u.... as long the lenses do what I want....is more important.

Btw, does ur company do ccd cleaning? I have dust particles on my view finder...probably that dust bunny is at the mirror or view finder itself...sigh~
    Yes, we do lots of imager cleans with various camera brands and models.

We also know which imager filters (or low-pass filters) have a higher/easier tendency to scratch, and which ones tend to be more "sticky" like a velcro which grips dust.

If you have dust in the viewfinder, it could be dust under the focusing screen or SI screen, both of which you shouldn't touch especially the SI screen. They are extremely unforgiving to touch/wipe - scratches and stains. We can only try to blow dust out, and we use dry compressed air that is tripled-filtered. Anything that can't be blown off, we would be inclined to leave it there. Really, these screens are strictly no-touch.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 4th November 2008 at 10:45 AM.

Yes, we do lots of imager cleans with various camera brands and models.

We also know which imager filters (or low-pass filters) have a higher/easier tendency to scratch, and which ones tend to be more "sticky" like a velcro which grips dust.

If you have dust in the viewfinder, it could be dust under the focusing screen or SI screen, both of which you shouldn't touch especially the SI screen. They are extremely unforgiving to touch/wipe - scratches and stains. We can only try to blow dust out, and we use dry compressed air that is tripled-filtered. Anything that can't be blown off, we would be inclined to leave it there. Really, these screens are strictly no-touch.
    Thanks....almost do the most unforgiving act to my camera...
    Tripled-filtered...hmmmm...maybe I can do it with nitrogen blow through a 22um filter...hmmmm....
    Last edited by Fallenphoenix; 4th November 2008 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks....almost do the most unforgiving act to my camera...
    Tripled-filtered...hmmmm...maybe I can do it with nitrogen blow through a 22um filter...hmmmm....
    Nitrogen gas? Hmm... if I'm not wrong, the gas will be released at a very cold temperature? Not good. That can cause rapid contraction to some soldered/glued parts and cause hairline fracture cracks on micro-electronic circuitry or even regular circuitry.

Nitrogen gas? Hmm... if I'm not wrong, the gas will be released at a very cold temperature? Not good. That can cause rapid contraction to some soldered/glued parts and cause hairline fracture cracks on micro-electronic circuitry or even regular circuitry.
    nitrogen gas at room temperature. Just an inert gas we used to blow our samples when we don't want the samples to be oxidised by the oxygen in the air. However, I'll give it a miss...it seemed that I'm lack of the connector to fix the filter to the hose. It's blowing crap out of it, not just nitrogen. Afraid that I'll blow in more stuffs instead. lol
    Last edited by Fallenphoenix; 10th November 2008 at 01:39 PM.

Dear all,

Sorry if this post is out of the topic here, but I'd appreciate any advise or assistance from anyone here.

I need advise or recommendations for accomdation in Melbourne, as my gf and myself will be going to Melbourne Uni for our further studies next Feb. We need a small studio or 1 bedroom apartment for accomdation. So far, all my search using the internet, and emails to various agents proved to unfruitful. Therefore, if you know of anyone or any advise as to how to go about finding accomdation in Melbourne (peferbaly near the Uni or CBD area), it would knid of you to pm me.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast