Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 190

Thread: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    588

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    Clubsnap Gallery finally up again!

    Here is the group that was there on Sunday:



    Faces in Melbourne
    It looks like you're resting your arm on my knee hahah
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

  2. #102

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
    Jeremy, do you also calibrate lenses and bodies at your company?
    Yes, my company is a Canon and Nikon authorised service center. We have the proprietary service software, hardware, manuals, training, and rights to calibrate most bodies and lenses.

    I do mostly Canon.

  3. #103
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    a quick question for you guys down there. how safe is it to move about in melbourne with my gears(camera) etc.

  4. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    588

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    a quick question for you guys down there. how safe is it to move about in melbourne with my gears(camera) etc.
    from my experience, very safe. but this doesn't mean you should let your hair down and leave your camera aroudn unattended. take the standard precautions you usually would and you'll be fine.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

  5. #105

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    a quick question for you guys down there. how safe is it to move about in melbourne with my gears(camera) etc.
    I would not advise u to travel too late in the city on fri and sat nights (near midnight..or later)....the drunks could be quite intimidating.... particularly on streets away from swanston towards kings. King appeared to be the worst...I heard several mugging and bullying incidents..for gals...additional problems will be perverts..

  6. #106
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    so if i stay off those area according to day and time i should be fine? thought of moving about with my camera.

    btw can you guys advice me 2nd camera shops around melbourne, in city area particularly.

    thanks!

  7. #107

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    so if i stay off those area according to day and time i should be fine? thought of moving about with my camera.

    btw can you guys advice me 2nd camera shops around melbourne, in city area particularly.

    thanks!
    I don't think there's anything much to shoot at king's at night unless u want to take the ghetto feel of the street. I think u'll have to judge the situation for urself. For me, I won't give a second thought to walk around in the city in the middle of the night with all my gears. Just go away if u feel the situation is not right. It's only that few bad eggs that mess with people...

  8. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    588

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    if you're down on king st at that time of the night you're only there for one reason - mens clubs.

    otherwise, most of the other parts of melbourne are quite safe if you take the usual precautions when walking around at night.

    i only know of Michael's on the corner or Elizabeth and Lonsdale st have second hand gear.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

  9. #109

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    I can't remember when, maybe last year, or the year before, Singapore was rated the world's second safest city after the Vatican. Having said that, we all know that Singaporeans are blessed to live in a city/country where nothing really horrible would happen on a weekend night in the city, and this high degree of safety could inevitably make many Singaporeans ignorant to the risks and dangers on the streets of other cities where crime happens a lot more.

    I believe I could be the next longest resident after dan_1337. I don't have the luxury of traveling in the comfort and safety of my own car, and I'm exposed to the liberal, and sometimes wilder and uglier, side of Australian society on the public transport system.

    I have witnessed drunkards and druggies board the trains/trams in a state that is totally out of this Earthly world. Drunks puke on the floors, doors, seats, and sniffers inhale from a plastic bag of spray paint. Rebellious teens drink, taunt, swear, fight, vandalise, in the trains and in public places.

    I know 2 people who had even seen couples having sex on the train. Rape has even happened on the train.

    Over the past 1 year or so, Melbourne has witnessed a rise in alcohol-related violence. People have been king-hit (bashed for no reason). I wouldn't carry all of my gear out on show in the city on weekend nights, or even any weekday night.

    Since last year, I came up with my own personal policy that if the image I'm going to shoot isn't going to be used in print, or isn't worthy of printing, I will shoot it with a compact digicam. I only the DSLR to shoot images that are worth printing even though I may not print it.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 22nd October 2008 at 05:54 PM.

  10. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne/Singapore
    Posts
    904

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    a quick question for you guys down there. how safe is it to move about in melbourne with my gears(camera) etc.
    Melbourne is generally a safe city.. but try not to carry your camera gears at night, even if you are not alone.

  11. #111
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    so in general day time should be the safest bet so long as i avoid dark alleys.
    thanks guys for your inputs. am thinking of walkabout shoot around melbourne city.

    hmn.... only 1 2nd hand shop in melbourne?

  12. #112

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
    if you're down on king st at that time of the night you're only there for one reason - mens clubs.

    otherwise, most of the other parts of melbourne are quite safe if you take the usual precautions when walking around at night.

    i only know of Michael's on the corner or Elizabeth and Lonsdale st have second hand gear.
    men's club...hence the ghetto feel...lol

    Just exercise caution and spot trouble makers before they even get near to u. On fridays, trouble makers are already on lose at 7. Probably, just be in areas that are crowded. But again, when nasty thing happens in crowded areas, the public will just stand there and watch...sadly, it's pretty much like the scene in sg...however, i reckon i have heard more incidents of members of public standing up of the victim than in here. I have a friend that has been mugged and assaulted on swanston st @ 10+pm on a wkday night by a few gals. She ran to the 7-11 @ lonsdale for help. That chinese guy just locked her out, leaving her helpless and mugged. So...i guess if u see dodgey people, just get out of their way. Or shoot in packs...lol

  13. #113

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Sydney-siders tend to say that Melbourne is more camera-safe for having less cameras being flashed around in Sydney. Melbourne is generally safe, but compared to Singapore, there is still an element of risk. Just remain alert, look out for rowdy people, and steer clear.

    Being robbed of your equipment isn't the worst thing that could happen. With alcohol-fuelled violence on the rise since several months ago, I would be more worried of being king-hit.

    And it's true, people in Melbourne these days are showing more of that common Asian mind-your-own-business mentality. There are fewer brave civic-minded people who would jump in and pull away a thug who is kicking your face in while you have fallen on the ground. If you live here, don't you read/watch the news everyday? Taxi drivers are being stabbed by their own passengers.

    I wouldn't consider King Street to be a ghetto-like area. (Do you know what ghetto means?) I would say it's more of a wilder party area for male patrons who want to see b##bs, b#tts, and pink bits. Yep, lots of testosterone over-drive, and with alcohol in the mixture, you know what to expect from the worst in men. There's really nothing interesting to photograph along King Street anyway.

    Shoot your city night scenes on a early weekday evening. It would be a lot safer.

    The best and most well-known second-hand photographic dealer would be the one on Lonsdale Street known as Camera Exchange. Not far, would be the big and obvious Michael's Camera Store, but they are generally expensive.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 23rd October 2008 at 08:21 PM.

  14. #114

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Singapore Day 2008 in Melbourne images have been uploaded on to a website at:

    http://www.overseassingaporean.sg/

    If you were there photographing, and I believe at least another 1 of us from ClubSnap was, your images should be there.

  15. #115

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela View Post
    Sydney-siders tend to say that Melbourne is more camera-safe for having less cameras being flashed around in Sydney. Melbourne is generally safe, but compared to Singapore, there is still an element of risk. Just remain alert, look out for rowdy people, and steer clear.

    Being robbed of your equipment isn't the worst thing that could happen. With alcohol-fuelled violence on the rise since several months ago, I would be more worried of being king-hit.

    And it's true, people in Melbourne these days are showing more of that common Asian mind-your-own-business mentality. There are fewer brave civic-minded people who would jump in and pull away a thug who is kicking your face in while you have fallen on the ground. If you live here, don't you read/watch the news everyday? Taxi drivers are being stabbed by their own passengers.

    I wouldn't consider King Street to be a ghetto-like area. (Do you know what ghetto means?) I would say it's more of a wilder party area for male patrons who want to see b##bs, b#tts, and pink bits. Yep, lots of testosterone over-drive, and with alcohol in the mixture, you know what to expect from the worst in men. There's really nothing interesting to photograph along King Street anyway.

    Shoot your city night scenes on a early weekday evening. It would be a lot safer.

    The best and most well-known second-hand photographic dealer would be the one on Lonsdale Street known as Camera Exchange. Not far, would be the big and obvious Michael's Camera Store, but they are generally expensive.

    To a dancer, ghetto is about street, jail, crime-prone, and so forth...under dictionary is a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships. To me, king's probably the most risky place to be in at night. With all the random underground rave clubs along the street, plus the gent's club, last yr shooting @ king's and several mugging incidents...it's probably the most crime-prone region of melb city. But again, Hosier lane opposite fed sq is full of graffitis....it carries more of street dance ghetto feel than the genuine dangerous feel of king's. If you re there late enough at night, u might see vandals at work at Hosier. They actually have a lookout, a van full of spray paint, and a trolley to shuttle their paint cans and measuring instruments back and forth. A friend of mine witnessed the whole process. They got quite jumpy when he walked into them, thinking that he was a policeman...but continued vandalising after realising that he's just another passerby.

  16. #116

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    It does seems that shooting in syd at night is quite dangerous. My friend had been mugged unsuccessfully twice in syd. He was shooting night pics with tripod. On both occasions, he used the tripod and stabbed the mugger's foot and ran away, even though the mugger was armed with a pocket knife (the other wasn't armed). I could only say that he ran pretty fast, even with so much gears on him. lol

  17. #117

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    On Tuesday 4th Nov, Australia's labour force will grind to a halt because of Melbourne Cup Day. Held at Flemington Racecourse, extremely large numbers of Aussies will be there to watch the race dressed in their spring fashion best. Previous year's crowds record as high as 120,000, and assuming that the male-to-female ratio is 1:1, you are going to be overwhelmed by 60,000 beautifully dressed mostly-Caucasian women in soft flowy dresses, and 60,000 Caucasian dudes in suits. There will be Aussie celebrities and dignitaries.

    Based on my previous experiences (yes, I have been there a few times), many of the people there would be happy to be photographed. In my opinion, it is the world's largest impromptu fashion show, a sight that could cure the blind.

    Whether you study or work in Melbourne, this day is strongly considered if you wish to shoot images very few Asian people (students and migrants) would have in their portfolios simply because this event is predominately a white-culture event. If you want to shoot images very few other Singaporeans or Asians have, open your mind, bring yourself down to the racecourse, and be brave (I prefer the word "shameless") with your camera.

    Melbourne Cup Day on Tuesday 4th Nov is also a good opportunity for some Aussie companies to create a long weekend.

    Perhaps another meet-up?
    Last edited by Jemapela; 25th October 2008 at 09:38 AM.

  18. #118
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne/Singapore
    Posts
    904

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela View Post
    On Tuesday 4th Nov, Australia's labour force will grind to a halt because of Melbourne Cup Day. Held at Flemington Racecourse, extremely large numbers of Aussies will be there to watch the race dressed in their spring fashion best. Previous year's crowds record as high as 120,000, and assuming that the male-to-female ratio is 1:1, you are going to be overwhelmed by 60,000 beautifully dressed mostly-Caucasian women in soft flowy dresses, and 60,000 Caucasian dudes in suits. There will be Aussie celebrities and dignitaries.

    Based on my previous experiences (yes, I have been there a few times), many of the people there would be happy to be photographed. In my opinion, it is the world's largest impromptu fashion show, a sight that could cure the blind.

    Whether you study or work in Melbourne, this day is strongly considered if you wish to shoot images very few Asian people (students and migrants) would have in their portfolios simply because this event is predominately a white-culture event. If you want to shoot images very few other Singaporeans or Asians have, open your mind, bring yourself down to the racecourse, and be brave (I prefer the word "shameless") with your camera.

    Melbourne Cup Day on Tuesday 4th Nov is also a good opportunity for some Aussie companies to create a long weekend.

    Perhaps another meet-up?
    Sounds good for a photo taking opportunity.. have stayed in Melbourne for a few yrs but never been to the Melbourne Cup day before.

    Shall we arrange a meet-up?

  19. #119

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Just to add, tickets to Melbourne Cup Day is the most expensive of all other 3 race days. I have only ever been there once on Melbourne Cup Day and saw the champion horse Makybe Diva finish first. I prefer to go on the other race days since tickets are cheaper.

    If you want to go there to photograph dressed-up bare-back cleavage-revealing busty Caucasian women, this is possibly the best annual opportunity in Melbourne due to the sheer size of the event. Many of them would be happy to let you take a snapshot. Let me emphasise the numbers again - as many as 120,000 attend Melbourne Cup day, and assuming 1:1 male-female ratio, that's like the entire Singapore Kallang stadium full of women, and if you want to photograph the men, there would be just as many of them!

    Forget about bringing super telephoto lenses. Firstly, you will never have a space to set it up to shoot the horses racing. Secondly, you may even be barred from entering. Based on past experience, all you need is a 16-35mm and 24-105mm (or similar or equivalent). Leave the tele-zoom at home. Afterall, you don't really need serious gear there. You would only be shooting snapshots, not award-winning portraits.

    I won't be going there this year since I have been there enough times. Some of the horses may recognise me. Hahaha...
    Last edited by Jemapela; 25th October 2008 at 03:06 PM.

  20. #120
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela View Post
    Perhaps another meet-up?
    Haha....will be going to a camp out on Great Ocean Rd that weekend, so guess meet up is out. Perhaps the next weekend.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •