Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

Default Re: ClubSnappers in Melbourne.. anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by engta View Post
    2PM in the city this Sunday sounds good.. where shall we meet?
    Sounds good. I am keen.

But please recommend a good (free preferably) place to park the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenphoenix View Post
    I have checked..C.R Kennedy is the only one that deals with sigma. However, they might not have a service shop here like what Jemapela said. Jemapela, re u able to fix front/back focus problem? I would love to meet up with u guys, but I'm shooting a wedding this sunday...sigh. U guys have fun...unless it's at night...hmmmm..and in the city...hmmm...lazzart? lol
    The problem with front and back focus on a zoom lens at different focal lengths is difficult to rectify by physical (positioning/alignment) methods. If the lens has an electronic adjustment (like with many Canon lenses), then it is easier. I don't know if your lens has that feature, and even if it has, the adjustment is most probably done at a Sigma factory or a very well equipped authorised Sigma service center which is granted the rights to have and use the service/adjustment software.

Personally, I can't do Sigma lenses, but my boss may be able to do it by physical methods. To be truthful, there is very little anyone can do for Tamron, Sigma and any other third-party lenses if the focus is out, and any lens that is "out" has to be matched to a particular camera body.

Before you go chasing your tail, front/back focus problems are sometimes dependent on shooting distances with in relation to focal length. That is, at every focal length, there is a so-called "optimum" or "reference" distance to decide if the lens is front or back. At other distances, it is sometimes observed that the lens will flaw/err. This is sometimes due to the accuracy of the USM/SWM/HSM, and is a technical/design limitation. Indeed, some lenses focus more accurately than others even though they may be all USM/SWM/HSM.

On a bigger picture, focus errors are also contributed by the camera body. Not even the top-end Canon DSLR is error-free. You didn't mention which body you use.

We should speak about this sometime when you are free.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 18th October 2008 at 09:19 AM.

We could meet on Sunday 19th 2pm in the city, at Gloria Jeans in QV Mall.

There is free parking in the north part of the city along Victoria Street and Cardigan Street on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela View Post
    We could meet on Sunday 19th 2pm in the city, at Gloria Jeans in QV Mall.

There is free parking in the north part of the city along Victoria Street and Cardigan Street on Sunday.
    i'll be there!

can't stick around past around 4pm tho.
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Sorry guys, working this weekend (yes, including tomorrow). Maybe next time.

*prepares to see all sorts of critical cases tomorrow*

So meeting this Sunday 19th Oct:

1) Jemapela
    2) engta
    3) dan_1337
    4) Ansel (me, I'll be wearing a Nikon cap and holding a Nikon D2x)

venue: Gloria Jeans at QV Mall (or QV Market, are they the same?)

time: 2pm-4pm

Social meet-up

Day: Sunday 19th Oct 2008

Time: 2pm-4pm

Venue: Gloria Jeans at QV Mall/Market (along Lonsdale Street)

1) Jemapela (probably cycling, hence have a helmet, will have a backpack)
    2) engta
    3) dan_1337
    4) Ansel (me, I'll be wearing a Nikon cap and holding a Nikon D2x)

i will look like a male member of the public with no camera

The problem with front and back focus on a zoom lens at different focal lengths is difficult to rectify by physical (positioning/alignment) methods. If the lens has an electronic adjustment (like with many Canon lenses), then it is easier. I don't know if your lens has that feature, and even if it has, the adjustment is most probably done at a Sigma factory or a very well equipped authorised Sigma service center which is granted the rights to have and use the service/adjustment software.

Personally, I can't do Sigma lenses, but my boss may be able to do it by physical methods. To be truthful, there is very little anyone can do for Tamron, Sigma and any other third-party lenses if the focus is out, and any lens that is "out" has to be matched to a particular camera body.

Before you go chasing your tail, front/back focus problems are sometimes dependent on shooting distances with in relation to focal length. That is, at every focal length, there is a so-called "optimum" or "reference" distance to decide if the lens is front or back. At other distances, it is sometimes observed that the lens will flaw/err. This is sometimes due to the accuracy of the USM/SWM/HSM, and is a technical/design limitation. Indeed, some lenses focus more accurately than others even though they may be all USM/SWM/HSM.

On a bigger picture, focus errors are also contributed by the camera body. Not even the top-end Canon DSLR is error-free. You didn't mention which body you use.

We should speak about this sometime when you are free.
    I noticed that I only start to have the problem with that sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 when I switch off AF search (I find it quite useless. If it can't hit the AF, I might as well MF -rather than waiting for it to find its AF.). Before that, it wasn't that sharp but was never that off. I tried taking off the filter. It improved the accuracy abit but still off. Then I tried switching on AF search after trying to recall what changes I have done to the body recently. It is not back to it's original status when I first got it. Not 100% accurate, still decent. So...I guess it's a lemon? Oh, I'm using 40D...sigh..got it shortly after they announced that 50D is going to be released...sigh~ The camera is ok with my sigma 70-300mm (which is sharper, even though optically it should not). So i guess that it's the lens's problem?

Too bad that I can't meet u guys tomorrow. I'll be shooting a wedding. Thanks for enlightening me, Jemapela.

The Sunday 19th October meet-up was attended by:

1) Jemapela
    2) engta
    3) dan_1337
    4) Ansel

Thank you to everyone who took the time to attend.

How was the meetup? Small groups are usually good for some conversation. Wish I was there rather than at work...it was a pretty crappy day, missed a lunch break again.

The Sunday 19th October meet-up was attended by:

1) Jemapela
    2) engta
    3) dan_1337
    4) Ansel

Thank you to everyone who took the time to attend.
    Nice meeting today.. hopefully can meet up for some photo shooting the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by engta View Post
    Nice meeting today.. hopefully can meet up for some photo shooting the next time.
    Sounded fun. The wedding shoot was unpleasant. The paid photographer was pissed with us shooting at the wedding, despite he indicated to the couple that he was cool with us (2), invited photographers, and actually told them that he did not even mind giving us pointers. Pretty much throughout the ceremony, he planted himself right in the center and only moved up when the couple signed the paper. He's the most immobile wedding photographer I have met so far. We were mindful of not getting into his frame and used tele lens to shoot at the back, without flash of course. During the bridal shoots, he told the groom to tell us to stop shooting...hmmmm...maybe he's not having a good day... My friend neither...he dropped his nikon 70-200mm f2.8....sad case..

When's the next shooting trip? I realised that I'm still quite lousy and want to improve...need pointers from old birds like u guys...

...I realised that I'm still quite lousy and want to improve...need pointers from old birds like u guys...
    How do u know we are old birds ?

Daniel, do you have the group picture which was taken on Sunday?

Just in case anyone may be interested, I'm selling off my precious Canon EOS 20D which I have re-fitted with a new shutter and shutter release switch (the parts that would break down quickest with 20D/30D).

Autofocus has been calibrated to be as "perfect" as possible on this body, that is, it is not significantly front or back focusing. I'm fussy about it because I often shoot portraits with large apertures.

If you want a spare reliable body, this is it. It is currently kept in my company where I repair Canon DSLR and lenses.

Also available is BG-E2.

I'm actually now in my longest ever continuous lull period, and contemplating/considering to quit photography.

Just in case anyone may be interested, I'm selling off my precious Canon EOS 20D which I have re-fitted with a new shutter and shutter release switch (the parts that would break down quickest with 20D/30D).

Autofocus has been calibrated to be as "perfect" as possible on this body, that is, it is not significantly front or back focusing. I'm fussy about it because I often shoot portraits with large apertures.

If you want a spare reliable body, this is it. It is currently kept in my company where I repair Canon DSLR and lenses.

Also available is BG-E2.

I'm actually now in my longest ever continuous lull period, and contemplating/considering to quit photography.
    Jeremy, do you also calibrate lenses and bodies at your company?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    How do u know we are old birds ?
    because...there's 'senior member' below ur DP? lol

because...there's 'senior member' below ur DP? lol
    OIC !

Clubsnap Gallery finally up again!

Here is the group that was there on Sunday:

Faces in Melbourne

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast