Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: dry box really a must in SG?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    western Singapore
    Posts
    53

    Default dry box really a must in SG?

    just wondering wheather a dry box is really a must in Singapore, or its just a "have or dont have, never mind"

  2. #2

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by wawasan View Post
    just wondering wheather a dry box is really a must in Singapore, or its just a "have or dont have, never mind"
    To prevent fungus ruining your lenses and/or costing you a costly trip to the service center (no, they don't cover fungus under warranty), lenses should be stored in an environment of ~45-55% relative humidity. Normal air is 90% in SG.. I would say it feels like 150%

    If you actually have such a room, say a room at home or office where you run aircon 24 hours a day, you might be able to skip the dry box. Some offices need full time AC for the equipment, so if you have one...

    Myself I just use the drybox

  3. #3
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Not a must. But it is a good investment to have a dry cabinet.

    Ryan

  4. #4

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    To prevent fungus ruining your lenses and/or costing you a costly trip to the service center (no, they don't cover fungus under warranty), lenses should be stored in an environment of ~45-55% relative humidity. Normal air is 90% in SG.. I would say it feels like 150%

    If you actually have such a room, say a room at home or office where you run aircon 24 hours a day, you might be able to skip the dry box. Some offices need full time AC for the equipment, so if you have one...

    Myself I just use the drybox
    hi...i just wonder if i use the camera everday and take it out for shoot....then shall i buy a drycabinet???someppl said the lens got fungus even got drycabinet sometime....can giv me advice...thx

  5. #5

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    In theory, if you use your equipment everyday, there won't be time for the spores to settle, take hold and grow.

    In practical terms, it's entirely possible for fungus to grow in equipment in a 'dry' box.

  6. #6

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    In theory, if you use your equipment everyday, there won't be time for the spores to settle, take hold and grow.

    In practical terms, it's entirely possible for fungus to grow in equipment in a 'dry' box.
    oic...thx.....is it worth to get a drycabinet DB-30L with one year old for sgd 60??thx

  7. #7

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post
    oic...thx.....is it worth to get a drycabinet DB-30L with one year old for sgd 60??thx
    not very sure about the price but do consider whether 30L will be enough for you in 5 years plan. I bought a 40L 2 years back. but now I added another 60L for lenses, camera body and mini DV tapes.

  8. #8

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by khtee View Post
    not very sure about the price but do consider whether 30L will be enough for you in 5 years plan. I bought a 40L 2 years back. but now I added another 60L for lenses, camera body and mini DV tapes.
    LOL! That's a familiar feeling! But I got no marnie to buy larger dry cab, so I just use lots of old tupperware and silica gel for the less important things.

    Actually, having a small cab, and adding a large one later on might make sense in space-tight SG. That way, you have a large one for storage of bigger stuff, and the small one you can move around as and when the wife makes noise!

  9. #9

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by khtee View Post
    not very sure about the price but do consider whether 30L will be enough for you in 5 years plan. I bought a 40L 2 years back. but now I added another 60L for lenses, camera body and mini DV tapes.
    hahah...ii want to get 60l actually...but the new price is higher...i couldnt found who want to sell thei 60l one....but it seem like many ppl after store their camera in dry cabinet get worse leh....mean the fungus grow than b4 didnt use one...im blur also....haha

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tanglin Halt
    Posts
    347

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    It probably would not be a must if you use it every day and place it at a cooler, dryer place at home.

    But I think if you want to use a box with silica gel inside. You should take all note and care that the humidity is at the right level. Personally from my own experience, i find it an extreme hassle because silica gel can't last. They absorb to their max level very fast. So if you are not careful and do not keep track of the humidity level, you may find yourself a box with same or higher humidity than the atmosphere.

    Catastrophic.
    Loving my Minolta

  11. #11
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post
    but it seem like many ppl after store their camera in dry cabinet get worse leh....mean the fungus grow than b4 didnt use one...im blur also....haha
    I am quite surprised to hear that. All else equal the one kept without some sort of dehumidifier shld have a higher risk.

    Ryan

  12. #12

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    just get one and don look back ..
    remmeber to get the biggest u can afford

  13. #13

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post
    hahah...ii want to get 60l actually...but the new price is higher...i couldnt found who want to sell thei 60l one....but it seem like many ppl after store their camera in dry cabinet get worse leh....mean the fungus grow than b4 didnt use one...im blur also....haha
    shouldnt be the case. my dad kept his lenses in the electric drybox & till today they are still clean from fungus
    My flickr! Album - Sony a6000 (CZ 24-70) / CZ 85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/montoyasg/

  14. #14
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post
    hahah...ii want to get 60l actually...but the new price is higher...i couldnt found who want to sell thei 60l one....but it seem like many ppl after store their camera in dry cabinet get worse leh....mean the fungus grow than b4 didnt use one...im blur also....haha
    the dry box is leaking ...lol
    Last edited by fabianaino; 9th July 2008 at 11:00 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: dry box really a must in SG?

    relative to the value of wats going to be put inside, the price of a drybox is PEANUTS .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •